Quantcast
Airdrie-ites, commute?! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Airdrie-ites, commute?!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Google is showing over 1 hour from Airdrie to Calgary via deerfoot currently. I assume the A-town crew will check in sometime around 10am.....
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    How's the commute today kids? Tee hee.
    0km/h south
    50km/h north

#2 royally f'd

Took me an extra 30 minutes today... No biggie a few times a year. If I had planned better it would have been cake as I would have come in on the back roads but I got in it before I thought about it.

I grew up in A-town, right by the water tower. Of course, back then it was a smaller place. I remember when it became a city.
    I was there when it went from village to town. Newbie!
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by HHURICANE1 View Post
    I was there when it went from village to town. Newbie!
    What year was that? I may have been there too, but I would have been small.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I work 3.5km from my house. So good. Deerfoot south looked like a gongshow though. Good day to work from home if you can.
    Cos...

What year was that? I may have been there too, but I would have been small.
    Airdrie became a town in May 31, 1974 and a city on February 15, 1985. Village status was attained on September 30, 1909..

I would imagine a good number of beyond members have only known Airdrie as a city and fewer yet as a town and very few as a village.

When I moved to Calgary, Airdrie hadn't reached 4,000 in population.
    Last edited by speedog; 11-16-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Left house at 745, got to Bridgeland around 850 (normally leave 8, arrive at 835-840).. Road was bad until Stoney. I had read before Airdrie to Stony clearing is privately contracted? Not sure if true but ya it always sucks on that stretch until you hit Calgary.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    Left house at 745, got to Bridgeland around 850 (normally leave 8, arrive at 835-840).. Road was bad until Stoney. I had read before Airdrie to Stony clearing is privately contracted? Not sure if true but ya it always sucks on that stretch until you hit Calgary.
    Entire highway 2 including inside city limits, is under provincial jurisdiction, and is contracted out to a private company.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    My wife had heard that people were having issues getting up the 'hill' at cross-iron?
    Cos...

50+ km round trip and easily 1+ hour round trips. No clue how people do it. The shear amount of kms and lost time - ill never move from innercity when working near central calgary.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by O&G View Post
    50+ km round trip and easily 1+ hour round trips. No clue how people do it. The shear amount of kms and lost time - ill never move from innercity when working near central calgary.
    70km round trip actually to Bridgeland and back... And I can't speak for others here but I don't live inner city because I don't want to come home to a piece of shit shoebox and I can't afford anything nice inner city. Not everyone is as fortunate as you, pal.

Also, we don't have kids so so what if my commute takes an extra 20 minutes each way. And if and when we do have kids, we won't have to stress out about how to get them to school because in Airdrie, kids can actually go to a school within walking distance for both elementary and high school.

I also have a double garage attached with a long drive way, something I couldn't afford in Calgary.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-18-2018 at 01:06 PM.

And others will wonder why you or others would live inner city with it's inherent increased noise, crime, etc, etc..

Each to their own, what's right for you may not be right for someone else. My wife and I seriously looked at purchasing in Crossfield the last time we were in the market for a home and instead opted for our current home some 22 years ago as it best suited our needs and requirements. The major deciding factor for us was location and commutes but for others, the commute is no big deal because other factors far outweigh that for them.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Not everyone works downtown. There are a few big companies in Airdrie now, lots of people commute to Crossfield or even Olds. There is lots of work up near the airport or people actually work at the airport. Lots of my neighbors are pilots, cops, fire fighters, work in Airdrie or are on the road (fly in / fly out).
    Cos...

Man, I don't know how people can stand living shoulder to shoulder with each other in the city! I commute in from Water Valley every day so 100km one way and about 50 to 60 minutes other than the rare snafu in weather or traffic. My commute is honestly relaxed and laid back. It is the only time of the day I am alone and not having to deal with someone else's things. I chill out and listen to tunes or an audio book rolling through the farm lands checking out wildlife and scenery and before I know it, I am rolling into my forested acreage that cost me all of 315k including a 1700sf house and 600sf cabin. I wouldn't trade it for anything the city has to offer.

To each their own I guess...

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Man, I don't know how people can stand living shoulder to shoulder with each other in the city! I commute in from Water Valley every day so 100km one way and about 50 to 60 minutes other than the rare snafu in weather or traffic. My commute is honestly relaxed and laid back. It is the only time of the day I am alone and not having to deal with someone else's things. I chill out and listen to tunes or an audio book rolling through the farm lands checking out wildlife and scenery and before I know it, I am rolling into my forested acreage that cost me all of 315k including a 1700sf house and 600sf cabin. I wouldn't trade it for anything the city has to offer.

To each their own I guess...
    $315 with house AND cabin???? Holy.

For me, as a car enthusiast, you just have to make sure you have a car that you like to drive. Ever since I got my stick shift 2 seater Nissan that fits me like a glove, I actually look forward to waking up in the morning and the also the drive home. It's great...as a car enthusiast, you almost owe it to yourself to spend at least 1-1.5 hours in your car every day!....as for the traffic jams, it's very rarely that I even come to a complete stop both to and fro work, it's usually crawling in 1st/2nd/3rd gear for about 20, 25 minutes tops (starts around Airport Trail and I get off at 16th and after work I get on at 16th and it's only backed up until Beddington), then it's spirited driving all the way home!

And then every now and then you read here on beyond about some poor sap who is complaining about an oil change place because they're not even allowed to change their own oil in their own little tiny condo parking stall that they pay upwards of $500 a month condo fees for...ha! Nice life. I also have a backyard, a deck, a driveway, gardens, a second floor, 3 full washrooms, storage space, a man cave, a personal gym, a basement, an office, a guest bedroom, etc.....condos are great if you're young and single and are rarely home, but at some point you have to realize how shitty it is.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-18-2018 at 10:45 PM.

My Ride
    KTM

I leave at 5:50AM and get to underground parking in 22 minutes on most days; if it snows it can add 5-10 minutes. The drive home is worse but usually because I end up working late, if I leave at 4/4:30 the typical drive home is 40 minutes. I am working on getting out closer to 3:30 which will make a big difference. My commute to work in the AM is almost identical to when we lived in Panorama Hills, the drive home is definitely worse. It depends what you are looking for the community and the school our kids go to is worth the drive, if we weren't in Airdrie we would 100% be inner city.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Was at my parents near Market Mall today. Left their house at 4:45, went 10km/h up shag to the ring road. Went 5km/h by x-iron for a bit. Got home at 5:30.

45 minutes didn't seem too bad to me considering.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Happy deerfoot party today kids. Bring a lunch.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

i got on barlow early. only added 8 minutes. last few days has been 22 minutes to work

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast