Quantcast
Build Critique (Noob Edition) - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Build Critique (Noob Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Don't know it's worthy of a new thread but looking at a semi high end gaming station.

Wanted to see if I am missing anything or should I be changing certain components? I will price check or match with pcpartpicker just used ME's system configurator for now.
    AMD Showed Ryzen 3 beating a 9900K at CES, but not a lot of details were known. I'd probably wait to see what they come out with if I was dropping $3K+ on a new system, but it's entirely up to you. Once their 16C/32T R3 sku drops I will be tempted to upgrade.

If it were my build I would change the following:

- Trident Z 3200 Mhz RAM for the same or less money
    - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W is an as good or slightly better PSU for less money and better warranty (service) than the Corsair RM1000x, but both are top tier PSUs that should give you zero problems for the life of the system.
    - Fractal Design R6 case, partially personal preference there. $350 is also a lot for any case and that is low hanging fruit for savings, plus I have not see a better case from a functionality or build quality standpoint than the Fractals.
    - There is no need to get a 970 Pro, the EVO is almost identical and more than what 99% of users will need. The difference is primarily warranty and write endurance which are both not really important in a typical usage scenario. $60 isn't a ton of savings but you can put it towards a 1TB EVO or just enjoy the savings
    - I wouldn't buy IPR - 4year IPR on a $3,000 system is about $600 LOL

1000W is also overkill for that system if you are only using the 1 GPU, so if you want you can drop down to 750-850W pretty easily and still have tons of headroom for overclocks with a ~$50 savings. The nice thing about good PSUs is they actually perform at their advertised ratings under load. The two PSUs discussed here actually run at almost Platinum efficiency even though they are Gold rated.

You don't mention what CPU cooler you're getting, I'd suggest a Noctua NH-D15, and then you also don't need that Arctic Silver as it comes with it's own paste. It outperforms most 240mm AIO's without having to ever be replaced or leak.

You might need a copy of W10 Home too.

Just my $0.02

My Ride
    Bicycle

Not against waiting till June as it is the ideal time to have it but unlikely to purchase AMD products. With that said, there is always a latest and greatest coming out so never been a fan of waiting for a slightly better solution.

In terms of the Fractal case not something I am interested in.
    Nothing wrong with your built.

Assuming your monitor's 60hz is fine? Assuming you are going after 32:9 aspect ratio instead?

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    AMD Showed Ryzen 3 beating a 9900K at CES, but not a lot of details were known. I'd probably wait to see what they come out with if I was dropping $3K+ on a new system, but it's entirely up to you. Once their 16C/32T R3 sku drops I will be tempted to upgrade.

If it were my build I would change the following:

- Trident Z 3200 Mhz RAM for the same or less money
    - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W is an as good or slightly better PSU for less money and better warranty (service) than the Corsair RM1000x, but both are top tier PSUs that should give you zero problems for the life of the system.
    - Fractal Design R6 case, partially personal preference there. $350 is also a lot for any case and that is low hanging fruit for savings, plus I have not see a better case from a functionality or build quality standpoint than the Fractals.
    - There is no need to get a 970 Pro, the EVO is almost identical and more than what 99% of users will need. The difference is primarily warranty and write endurance which are both not really important in a typical usage scenario. $60 isn't a ton of savings but you can put it towards a 1TB EVO or just enjoy the savings
    - I wouldn't buy IPR - 4year IPR on a $3,000 system is about $600 LOL

1000W is also overkill for that system if you are only using the 1 GPU, so if you want you can drop down to 750-850W pretty easily and still have tons of headroom for overclocks with a ~$50 savings. The nice thing about good PSUs is they actually perform at their advertised ratings under load. The two PSUs discussed here actually run at almost Platinum efficiency even though they are Gold rated.

You don't mention what CPU cooler you're getting, I'd suggest a Noctua NH-D15, and then you also don't need that Arctic Silver as it comes with it's own paste. It outperforms most 240mm AIO's without having to ever be replaced or leak.

You might need a copy of W10 Home too.

Just my $0.02
    Will the motherboard support 3200 ram?

I do have an 850 watt power supply in my computer now could probably just repurpose that one.

Fractal case is just not my style.

I will downgrade from the pro on storage and agreed on IPR.

For the cooler, was thinking Be Quite ones but will do some research on them.

The 60hz is somewhat of an issue for a gaming monitor. I believe dell offers a 49” ultra wide but it was $2,200 a little silly for a computer monitor.

Will the motherboard support 3200 ram?

I do have an 850 watt power supply in my computer now could probably just repurpose that one.

Fractal case is just not my style.

I will downgrade from the pro on storage and agreed on IPR.

For the cooler, was thinking Be Quite ones but will do some research on them.

The 60hz is somewhat of an issue for a gaming monitor. I believe dell offers a 49” ultra wide but it was $2,200 a little silly for a computer monitor.
    Yup - the mobo you have selected can handle up to 4,500 MHz RAM. Running the 3200Mhz should be as simple as clicking the XMP Profile box in the bios. The reason the board is advertised at 2666Mhz is that technically you are overclocking the RAM to get higher than that.

BeQuiet make some good coolers too. If you're looking at the Dark Rock Pro 3/4 the NH-D15 is still the better performer to my knowledge. The NH-D15 is kind of the 'gold standard' air cooler but lots of companies are copying that design now. A lot of coolers including Noctua come with their own paste so you may not need that Arctic Silver depending what you buy.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...er,5559-2.html
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...er,4350-2.html
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-20-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3