Quantcast
Build Critique (Noob Edition) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Critique (Noob Edition)

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Default Build Critique (Noob Edition)

New to PC building; been using gaming laptops for the last 15 years; bought a Lenovo Y520 last June and my motherboard decided to fry it self in September. Waiting on approval from VISA for my warranty claim; but I decided I'm not going back to laptops and try my hand at building a PC.

With the help of MemEX they gave me a preliminary build with a budget of around $1500; did my researched added and picked out a couple of different parts here and there. Any comments on the build?

Looking to get one of those new budget gaming monitors, i currently have the MSI MAG24C; but i am torn between the MSI and the ASUS VG248QE. Both monitors are 144hz 1080P 1MS; with the MSI being a VA panel (and curved) and the ASUS being a TN panel. Tons of great reviews of the ASUS panel; but the curved panels look so sleek and cool. Any comments?

Here is the build:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/jonnie5/saved/Gvh299

TIA

My Ride
    WK2

I am in no way a PC gamer, but just looking at some of the components, you could probably quash the 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD, and just go with a single 1TB SSD? That is unless you're set on separating the OS and game files. Do games benefit from running on a solid state? Also, if you're doing the build yourself, try out water cooling. Might help if you plan on OC'ing?

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

I just have the 128 M.2 SSD and 1TB HDD included on the build so that PC Part Picker will tell me if there is any conflicts. I am not actually buying those parts; I'm actually bringing them over from my dead laptop and reusing the parts.

Just from what I have heard from buddies, loading games on a SSD definitely helps the load times. I am just trying to keep my budget as low as possible; but still purchase something that will last me a good amount of time.

My Ride
    WK2

Fair enough. Definitely re-use if possible! Good luck on the build. Hopefully other gamers can chime in on the processor and video card selection. Looks like a good PC to me!

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Build looks fine to me. Looks like you missed the "I already own this" button for the HDD so there's actually $80 slack in your budget right now.
    Only real critique I would say is to change the PSU to something that's at a minimum semi-modular. Preferable fully modular so you can only plug in the cables that you need. The PSU that you picked is going to have alot of extra cables and it's going to be a pain to find space to hide them all in the case that you've got. This is a good PSU that shouldn't break the bank.
    Also Black Friday/Cyber Monday is around the corner so I'd suggest you wait to buy your parts then. Might even be a CPU+mobo combo for cheaper. Another option is to go AMD as well. You can get a 6 core with 12 threads for around $20 less than the processor you've picked out. The Ryzen 2600 is what I would pick for this application and it has the benefit of using the same socket for a while so you can easily upgrade to something way more powerful in the future. I do have to caution that in some games you will lose FPS vs the Intel processor but it makes that up in the productivity space(eg. encoding/rendering video or streaming).

I can't say anything about the monitor so I'll let someone else speak about that.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. The PSU you recommended is actually a really good price as well. Will be picking that up. Definitely waiting for black Friday, but just wanted to start pricing stuff out so I have an idea of what I need.

How are computer parts pricing on black friday? Buy the parts at midnight online on thursday?

I had a bad experience with and and laptop years ago, kind of ruined and for me.il I primarily game anyways so I'll take all the fps I can get.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

My Ride
    Ford F150

Black Friday and cyber monday are usually great for components. New Egg USA has their black Friday flyer out already.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

The build looks OK to me now that you have one of the best PSUs available in it - most people try to cheap out here and it is one of the worst places to do so.

Only thing I would consider is switching CPU/MOBO to Ryzen - you can get double the threads for less money which is pretty huge depending on what your usage is like. If it were me I would go with a Ryzen 2600/2600X instead of that Intel CPU - it even comes with a decent cooler. The value proposition is off the charts. Intel locking out hyperthreading on those i5 CPUs is unacceptable IMHO. Other than the 9900K, I would be buying Ryzen right now for most mainstream PCs. The only exception would be if everything you did was single threaded, but then you wouldn't need an i5 either.

Ryzen does like fast dual-channel RAM though so if you go that route, bump it up to 3000-3200Mhz - it's exactly the same price so you should be doing that regardless.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-16-2018 at 11:10 AM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Just wanted to point out that you can get an RX590 which was just released a couple of days ago for cheaper or the same price as the GTX1060, and benchmarks have it coming in at around 5-10% faster than the 1060.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The build looks OK to me now that you have one of the best PSUs available in it - most people try to cheap out here and it is one of the worst places to do so.

Only thing I would consider is switching CPU/MOBO to Ryzen - you can get double the threads for less money which is pretty huge depending on what your usage is like. If it were me I would go with a Ryzen 2600/2600X instead of that Intel CPU - it even comes with a decent cooler. The value proposition is off the charts. Intel locking out hyperthreading on those i5 CPUs is unacceptable IMHO. Other than the 9900K, I would be buying Ryzen right now for most mainstream PCs. The only exception would be if everything you did was single threaded, but then you wouldn't need an i5 either.

Ryzen does like fast dual-channel RAM though so if you go that route, bump it up to 3000-3200Mhz - it's exactly the same price so you should be doing that regardless.
    Shit thanks for the info. What MOBO would you recommend? Going with ryzen 2600 and amd rx490, would this be a decent 1080p gaming machine? I primarily game.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Just wanted to point out that you can get an RX590 which was just released a couple of days ago for cheaper or the same price as the GTX1060, and benchmarks have it coming in at around 5-10% faster than the 1060.
    Shit thanks for the heads up! This way I can actually use freesync on my monitor as well.
    Last edited by Prelude_dude; 11-17-2018 at 02:41 AM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by Prelude_dude View Post
    Shit thanks for the info. What MOBO would you recommend? Going with ryzen 2600 and amd rx490, would this be a decent 1080p gaming machine? I primarily game.
    I have this guy with my 2600X but if you're going with the non-x 2600 then it's overkill. A good B450 mobo will be good for you, you can even go down to a B350 for additional cost savings. When you're doing your research, pay attention to the VRM number and quality as that makes a difference with these Ryzen processors.
    Shit thanks for the heads up! This way I can actually use freesync on my monitor as well.
    No problem!

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

kk, I've done up a AMD build; it actually worked out cheaper than my previous build.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6t4qQZ

I keep reading online that the RX 590 is a power hog; so i upgraded the PSU to the Supernova 650; is that over kill? Or is the Supernova 550 sufficient?

Will this set up be good for gaming?

TIA

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

kk, I've done up a AMD build; it actually worked out cheaper than my previous build.

I keep reading online that the RX 590 is a power hog; so i upgraded the PSU to the Supernova 650; is that over kill? Or is the Supernova 550 sufficient?

TIA
    I ran a 1060 6gb with a R7 1700 oc to 3.8 all core and at 2560x1080 no real big issues, except Ark with all the settings cranked up, so at 1080p you should have 0 issues. I also had a B350 prime and for the most part it was okay, some instability with trying to get my non Samsung b-die Ram to clock at 3200 but that doesn't really effect the 2XXX series vs the first gen Ryzen.

Shameless plug but I do have to 1060 6gb for sale

Regarding the Asus 24” 144hz monitor - it was the first 144hz monitor I bought about 6 or 7 years ago now. I ran 3 in triple screen for a couple years and they were bullet proof. Haven’t tried or seen the other MSI unit to compare, but you can’t go wrong with that Asus lcd.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Regarding the Asus 24” 144hz monitor - it was the first 144hz monitor I bought about 6 or 7 years ago now. I ran 3 in triple screen for a couple years and they were bullet proof. Haven’t tried or seen the other MSI unit to compare, but you can’t go wrong with that Asus lcd.
    Thanks, yea it's been a staple monitor for gaming for years.

The zotac GTX 1070 is going to be on black Friday sale for 349.99 at bestbuy, how is that card compared to the amd Rx 590?

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Thanks, yea it's been a staple monitor for gaming for years.

The zotac GTX 1070 is going to be on black Friday sale for 349.99 at bestbuy, how is that card compared to the amd Rx 590?
    1070 is much better than the 590. Only knock against it is that people seem to have more issues with Zotac cards.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    1070 is much better than the 590. Only knock against it is that people seem to have more issues with Zotac cards.
    Hrmm thanks for the info, you are right, seems people have issues on the forums with the fans crapping out.

TIA
    You don't need Arctic Silver - the included AMD cooler has paste already. Unless you are going for a big OC, the stock cooler and paste is totally fine.

You're probably fine with either power supply. One advantage of going bigger is if you run it in ECO mode (a little switch on all EVGA PSUs), the fan won't even be on most of the time. It gives you headroom for future upgrades too. Most people still buy too much power supply though. To give you an idea I have a power hog X299 setup with a i7 7820X OC'd to 4.7 GHz on all 8 cores, Nvidia Titan X, 32GB RAM, 4 spinner drives, 4 SSDs, 5 fans, etc. and the most I have ever seen for a power draw from the wall is about 550-600w and that includes my monitor and all peripherals. I use an 860W PSU.

Also you can get 3200 Mhz RAM for the same price, so swap out that 3000 Mhz. Ryzen CPUs want the fastest RAM they can get. Price beat this stuff at MemEx: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/...3200c16d16gvkb

That Mobo will be great, the Asus Prime boards are my go-to for standard builds. That one is cheap too - Ryzen builds are such good bang for the buck.

Also if it becomes an option, get an EVGA video card - by far the best warranty and post purchase service should something go wrong. Your power supply also has a 10 year warranty which is awesome.

The only other thing you might consider is getting a better case. For $150 or so you can buy pretty well the best cases available, and they are sound deadened with asphalt - it also comes with 3 good quality fans so you don't need to buy any, making the price difference between what you have selected not much at all:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/...d-ca-def-r6-bk
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-19-2018 at 10:48 AM.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Sick, thanks so much for all the info and suggestions.

Got the case, fans, ram from new egg on their pre black Friday sales. Ended up with the tempered glass version of the cooler master for like 20 bux off, so I just went with that one. Trying to keep my budget as low as possible. Got the monitor for a decent deal on sale from mem ex, now just seeing what's going to be on sale for Psu, gpu and mobo on Thursday night online at mem ex. Wish me luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast