Quantcast
Vacation + water softener - do you turn it off? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vacation + water softener - do you turn it off?

What are other items ppl turn off while going away on vacation?
    I heard if you shut the main water line you need to put your hot water tank off or on vacation mode? Is that true?

Never knew this was a thing. We go for 1-3 week vacation every year or so and only thing we do is turn down the furnace and have someone check in every day or two. Been doing that for 20 years and everything else stays on as normal. Am I just lucky that nothing breaks?

My Ride
    *The First*

2023 BUMP.

So, I'm pretty sure my water softener potentially could go into regeneration while I'm on vacation and I always turn my main water line off. What would happen if it tried to regenerate without a source of water?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Does it have a pump?

I would guess nothing would happen without some kind of pressure to drive the system?

We turn our water off at the lake (literally off more often than it’s on) with a kinetico and can’t say we have noticed any issues. In the years it’s been installed.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Does it have a pump?

I would guess nothing would happen without some kind of pressure to drive the system?

We turn our water off at the lake (literally off more often than it’s on) with a kinetico and can’t say we have noticed any issues. In the years it’s been installed.
    I certainly don't think so. It's a whirlpool kind from Canadian Tire.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    2023 BUMP.

So, I'm pretty sure my water softener potentially could go into regeneration while I'm on vacation and I always turn my main water line off. What would happen if it tried to regenerate without a source of water?
    Nothing at all. It will have a flow meter that triggers the regen cycle and not a timer.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Nothing at all. It will have a flow meter that triggers the regen cycle and not a timer.
    I agree, but mine has a setting where I get to tell it that it can only Regen at 3am. So I'm picturing a scenario (albeit rare) where enough flow has gone through that it's scheduled to Regen at 3am the day we left.
    But if the first stage of the Regen involves water flowing, I imagine it would simply attempt, fail, and then throw some error code without hurting anything... Probably?

My Ride
    Trucks

I agree, but mine has a setting where I get to tell it that it can only Regen at 3am. So I'm picturing a scenario (albeit rare) where enough flow has gone through that it's scheduled to Regen at 3am the day we left.
    But if the first stage of the Regen involves water flowing, I imagine it would simply attempt, fail, and then throw some error code without hurting anything... Probably?
    It will be ok with the water off. All the big box store water softeners use the same components, just with a different lid and lipstick on it.

I've had that exact scenario. Early morning flight and it was going to regen at ~2am or something, I just manually pushed a regen the evening before, so that when we left I could just shut off the main water and not worry about it. Mine usually regens when there is something like ~75 (gallons? liters?) left, so Ill usually check it day or two in advance so I know if I need to manually do it or not.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

I would recommend shutting the water down every time;

We had a service call not long ago where the softener failed resulting in a significant amount of beads being flushed throughout their water suppy when they returned home and ended up plugging plumbing fixtures through out the home, it took a bit of time but we were able to vacuum and flush the beads out until everything was running freely again.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by StreetRacerX View Post
    I would recommend shutting the water down every time;

We had a service call not long ago where the softener failed resulting in a significant amount of beads being flushed throughout their water suppy when they returned home and ended up plugging plumbing fixtures through out the home, it took a bit of time but we were able to vacuum and flush the beads out until everything was running freely again.
    Wat?!!!??!!!

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Wat?!!!??!!!
    It's no where near as common as water supply lines to fridges, toilets, and sinks, leaking/bursting though, it's policy that our guys replace them and never reuse them.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by StreetRacerX View Post
    It's no where near as common as water supply lines to fridges, toilets, and sinks, leaking/bursting though, it's policy that our guys replace them and never reuse them.
    No, I mean how did you end up in a situation where the ion exchange beads ended up getting vacuumed throughout your plumbing system!!? That sounds completely impossible under any scenario.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2