Quantcast
Home Security (Service Provider or Self Manage) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Security (Service Provider or Self Manage)

Default Home Security (Service Provider or Self Manage)

With Black Friday coming up I'm back in shopping mode. With that said I was curious what people are doing these days for home security.

Is everyone still going through a provider like Vivint or have many of you moved to just installing your own setup. If you are doing your own setups I'd be curious to know what that looks like.

Thanks!

I used Liberty

A good friend and coworker of mine just had their house cleaned out, they have (had?) Vivint - 100% useless in their case, which I imagine is fairly typical.

Thieves are in & out in 2-5 minutes in most cases, they clear out anything obvious, and then hit the master bedroom to fill up a pillow case with jewelry, cash, heirlooms, etc. Then they hit the medicine cabinets for pills and the kitchen for hard alcohol. They are gone WAY before anyone responds, and then CPS does not investigate beyond taking basic evidence at the crime scene. I had a good conversation with the guy collecting evidence at my GF's mom's place when it got broken into, and he basically told me nothing will come of it in 95% of cases. Either get your own cameras or get a big dog haha - no point paying for monitoring given the nature of the typical B&E IMO.

And if all you want is an alarm to sound if someone opens a door or window (the same basic deterrent as a security system), you can buy 12 packs of those on amazon for $35.

In my opinion, I would get Wyze Cams to monitor the areas I wanted, a video doorbell if applicable, and beef up your doors so they are hard to kick in (start with replacing all the decorative screws with 3" deck screws). If they really want in, they are getting in no matter what you have for security.

Your best protection is just logging EVERYTHING, with video, pictures, serial numbers, etc. and making sure the total value is insured. Take pictures of everything including receipts and upload them to a cloud service. Do a walk-around video with you narrating. Anything non-replaceable should be hidden in a place they will never look like the laundry room or a bank safety deposit box. Then you are 100% covered - if you get robbed, anything replaceable gets replaced and anything irreplaceable wasn't even on site.

Nothing deters these losers, as we keep seeing time and time again as they press their un-disguised faces up against people's cameras. If they want to get in your house, they're getting in. They know there will not be any consequences for the most part.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-16-2018 at 11:59 AM.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In my opinion, I would get Wyze Cams to monitor the areas I wanted, a video doorbell if applicable, and beef up your doors so they are hard to kick in (start with replacing all the decorative screws with 3" deck screws). If they really want in, they are getting in no matter what you have for security.

Your best protection is just logging EVERYTHING, with video, pictures, serial numbers, etc. and making sure the total value is insured. Take pictures of everything including receipts and upload them to a cloud service. Do a walk-around video with you narrating. Anything non-replaceable should be hidden in a place they will never look like the laundry room or a bank safety deposit box. Then you are 100% covered - if you get robbed, anything replaceable gets replaced and anything irreplaceable wasn't even on site.
    I almost got scammed by Vivint (imo). I was very interested in signing up with them initially in my new house, and the $45/Mo. with doorbell, touch panel, and monitoring was perfect. They explained after the 2 years (or if I pay out sooner) the 'equipment' contract is paid out, the monitoring is only $35/Mo. after that. Great. My next question: For how long, what happens if I want to cancel the monitoring? The 2 sales guy said "Oh you can cancel anytime no problem". - No strings attached?? - They couldn't confirm that. So I read the contract they emailed me, I searched cancellation terms, nothing stipulated. So I called the head office in Utah on speakerphone with the sales guys in my kitchen still sitting. 6 Year Term. You need to pay out each remaining month, $35/Mo. They tried to rope me in by explaining they can MOVE my system with me if I ever wanted to move, anywhere in Canada or USA. Or I could transfer it to a friend/ family member.

I didn't want that so I cancelled the whole thing. They still billed me the 'down payment' or whatever, first month cost of $45. Took 4 months until I saw the refund on my card for that LOL.

Went with Wyze Cams, and they're REALLY good considering the COST $35 each. I've caught some really stupid shit around the house with them (like a guy ripping around a corner and nailing a curb bending his entire beneath the car hahaha). Which reminds me, I want to add some more cams.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

A good friend and coworker of mine just had their house cleaned out, they have (had?) Vivint - 100% useless in their case, which I imagine is fairly typical.

Thieves are in & out in 2-5 minutes in most cases, they clear out anything obvious, and then hit the master bedroom to fill up a pillow case with jewelry, cash, heirlooms, etc. Then they hit the medicine cabinets for pills and the kitchen for hard alcohol. They are gone WAY before anyone responds, and then CPS does not investigate beyond taking basic evidence at the crime scene. I had a good conversation with the guy collecting evidence at my GF's mom's place when it got broken into, and he basically told me nothing will come of it in 95% of cases. Either get your own cameras or get a big dog haha - no point paying for monitoring given the nature of the typical B&E IMO.

Nothing deters these losers, as we keep seeing time and time again as they press their un-disguised faces up against people's cameras. If they want to get in your house, they're getting in. They know there will not be any consequences for the most part.
    Yes, I can't think of any type of security system that actually lowers your chances of having a break-in occur. Police or monitoring company will never arrive faster than 30 minutes, and neither will you if you aren't in the house already.

I'd say a pack of "security" stickers for the windows has as much value as a system . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    I almost got scammed by Vivint (imo). I was very interested in signing up with them initially in my new house, and the $45/Mo. with doorbell, touch panel, and monitoring was perfect. They explained after the 2 years (or if I pay out sooner) the 'equipment' contract is paid out, the monitoring is only $35/Mo. after that. Great. My next question: For how long, what happens if I want to cancel the monitoring? The 2 sales guy said "Oh you can cancel anytime no problem". - No strings attached?? - They couldn't confirm that. So I read the contract they emailed me, I searched cancellation terms, nothing stipulated. So I called the head office in Utah on speakerphone with the sales guys in my kitchen still sitting. 6 Year Term. You need to pay out each remaining month, $35/Mo. They tried to rope me in by explaining they can MOVE my system with me if I ever wanted to move, anywhere in Canada or USA. Or I could transfer it to a friend/ family member.

I didn't want that so I cancelled the whole thing. They still billed me the 'down payment' or whatever, first month cost of $45. Took 4 months until I saw the refund on my card for that LOL.

Went with Wyze Cams, and they're REALLY good considering the COST $35 each. I've caught some really stupid shit around the house with them (like a guy ripping around a corner and nailing a curb bending his entire beneath the car hahaha). Which reminds me, I want to add some more cams.
    That is shady - I bet they all knew full well what the terms were. I know it sounds bad but nobody really aspires to be a security system salesperson - those types of jobs just don't attract the best people in my experience, and they are probably paid piecemeal for sign-ups giving them every incentive to lie.

The Wyze Cams are absolutely ridiculous value when you consider anything comparable is $250 + $10/mo, and they come with free cloud storage, mounting hardware, a super polished app, etc.

The most I have caught so far is neighbors snooping my amazon packages sitting on my door step. WTF? Are you checking if it's yours or something? Get off my lawn and mind your own business haha. I wish I could have one pointed more at the road like you do, but I can't due to where our place is.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

$45 x 24 goes a long to way to get your own stuff to monitor yourself. Plus you still have to pay $35/mo after the agreement expires. I was with Vivint for a long time and switched to self monitor about a year ago. Now I have multiple cameras, door bell cam, door sensors, garage door opener, light switches, most of them integrated with homekit. Yeah you have to set it up yourself bit by bit but it's really not that hard. Neither third party monitor or self monitor type will completely avoid break-in, one is likely cheaper and more customizable than the other.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone paying mercenary door to door sales people has huge margins.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Monitored alarm vs not monitored make no differences any more.

As long as there is a siren to keep the guy's time in home as short as possible is all you can hope for.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Ive been quite happy with my Rogers Smart home setup.. fairly cheap and got a bunch of freebies with my deal. (4 touchpad keylocks free plus regular alarm stuff, 2 yr contract)

My Ride
    '14 Taco

The most I have caught so far is neighbors snooping my amazon packages sitting on my door step. WTF? Are you checking if it's yours or something? Get off my lawn and mind your own business haha.

Wont lie, i snooped a neighbors package when I was waiting for fedex to drop off an engagement ring a few years ago... I wasn't gonna gamble on them getting the right house. When they did drop it off, they did the ol drop and run. No signature (while required). Glad i was home waiting for it.

and back to your regular programming

My Ride
    Trucks

While I agree that monitoring fees can be expensive, it does give me a reduction in insurance premium each year and the system having its own cellular service ensures I can still connect to it remotely with no internet or even power in the house. My wifi can be flaky so it helps me check my cameras, dick with my Nest or lock / unlock my doors independent of the house.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    While I agree that monitoring fees can be expensive, it does give me a reduction in insurance premium each year and the system having its own cellular service ensures I can still connect to it remotely with no internet or even power in the house. My wifi can be flaky so it helps me check my cameras, dick with my Nest or lock / unlock my doors independent of the house.
    Its still not totally worth it because the fees are still more than your reduction, so you really don't get any savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    They tried to rope me in by explaining they can MOVE my system with me if I ever wanted to move, anywhere in Canada or USA. Or I could transfer it to a friend/ family member.
    My parents were told the same thing. they moved from Calgary to Osoyoos... Apparently they don't service that area. they ended up cancelling the contract for a small fee.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Back in the day when I cancelled my United security contract. My monitoring was $20/mo, and my savings were like $45/year.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    Its still not totally worth it because the fees are still more than your reduction, so you really don't get any savings.
    If I wanted savings I would buy nothing. The monitoring fees include a wireless data plan. (w/ Vivint)

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

I have a Smartthings hub with motion and door sensors. I also had an old AAA Alarm system with wired sensors, which was monitored. There was a Kickstarted for an board called Konnected, which lets you wire your old sensors into it and use the Smartthings Hub to control it. I ended up cancelling the monitoring and just monitor everything on my phone.

https://konnected.io/

I also have a Ring door bell and cameras outside my house and in some areas inside. The only thing I pay for is the Ring subscription.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I just cancelled my alarm. I have my wyze cams set to send me notifications when people approach my doors, I find it works pretty well to be honest. I think I will get a ring cam maybe too and utilize both.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I have a bunch of decent quality IP cams and Blue Iris. The doorbell, front sidewalk and garage cameras alert on any motion. One cam on the floor doubles as rodent detection in the garage.
    Also my automation system alerts if the garage door, or either of the gates opens.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

TELUS bought out Alarm Force a about 1 year or so ago, and are now offering it as part of their home services. Fairly cheap, and can get a bundle discount if you bundle with your other home services. its a 2 way alarm system, so it is better than you average setup. I was one of the testers in the pilot program and i gotta say, it is pretty slick. I still use it now.

If you are interested, let me know, and I can set up a referral for you.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

which wyze cameras are yo guys buying and where from? do they work with a smarthings hub?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast