Quantcast
Need some vacay help - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need some vacay help

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Mexico is very safe. I have been over 20 times in the last 8 years and it’s always an enjoyable time. Mexican people are amazing and the hospitality is always top notch. Unless your fuckin around with the cartel and buying bulk coke without paying then you won’t have any trouble..

My Ride
    rally pig

I woud pick Hawaii, Waikiki in particular

Flight to Oahu - ~600$ per person
    Waikiki beach front hotel or 2-3 blocks from beach airbnb - 200-300$ a night
    Just take a taxi to Waikiki 40-50$
    Rent a car for a day and go to North Shore to see the green sea turtles (Laniakea Beach)
    Book a swim with dolphins tour - 200-300$ although dont think it’s good for 6year old kids

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mexico is very safe. I have been over 20 times in the last 8 years and it’s always an enjoyable time. Mexican people are amazing and the hospitality is always top notch. Unless your fuckin around with the cartel and buying bulk coke without paying then you won’t have any trouble..
    Just stay away from the railings on the balconies! ...not sure how you avoid the exploding gas leaks though

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I woud pick Hawaii, Waikiki in particular

Flight to Oahu - ~600$ per person
    Waikiki beach front hotel or 2-3 blocks from beach airbnb - 200-300$ a night
    Just take a taxi to Waikiki 40-50$
    Rent a car for a day and go to North Shore to see the green sea turtles (Laniakea Beach)
    Book a swim with dolphins tour - 200-300$ although dont think it’s good for 6year old kids
    This I like. But maybe a bit too much planning for our first trip?

I'll let the wife go through the responses, and see what she says. I'm guessing shes gonna want a all in one trip so we just get there and start relaxing.

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming! None of our requirements are really set in stone. Just trying to get as much feedback as possible. I posted a link to a resort on the last page, we had friends go theres a couple weeks ago and loved it , I think shes leaning towards something like that...

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Cancun itself can be okay for families, but yeah the resorts are a lot smaller. I can review that concept if it interests the OP.
    Yes we would like to hear more. Also if anyone has any positive reviews on resorts please let us know.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cancun itself, in the hotel zone has a few pros, like being able to catch the city bus right outside your hotel to go to the shopping mall or restaurants, or to get down to the Mayan ruins that are nearby (Zona archiologico del rey). It's also super close to the airport, so no lengthy transfer.

The downsides are that none of the hotels have much real estate, so they are cramped compared to others, and some of the hotels are older, so check your reviews.

If your 6 year old is independent, check for kids club reviews too.

We stayed at Panama jack last year. Great location, hotel is just average in every other respect. No issues, but it was inexpensive and that showed in the mediocre food.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 11-17-2018 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

It's almost like no one read your requirements. Your cheap, you want dolphins and a beach to relax on. Cuba is your best bet.

I stayed in Cayo coco area in Cuba and had the best dolphin excursion ever. We love dolphins and make a point to do this excursion everywhere. In Cayo coco they'll bring you out on a boat to the dolphin area. You'll disembark and watch a cool dolphin show then jump into the water with the dolphins.

What I enjoyed with this excursion was that you weren't rushed. I could have stayed in the dolphin pit the entire time. They encouraged it yet for whatever reason few people stayed in the water.

I've done dolphin trips in 9 different countries and the Cayo coco was the best.

The beaches in Cuba are always the best. I believe it was Cayo Santa Maria that we stayed at. My only issue with this area were the evening mosquitos which we were unprepared for. Never had this issue anywhere we have been.

You're budget for this area is more then workable.

My Ride
    rally pig

^by dolphin excursion are you referring to something like this

or more natural and wild like this?

the wild excursion was what I was referring to in Hawaii hence why I wasnt comfortable recommending it to a 6 year old.
    otherwise there is a Sea Life Park in Oahu where you can watch a trained dolphins show

We used to an out time off but not pick a place until just a couple weeks before leaving, and then check out all the last minute deals. You would be amazed what you can book! We have had 4 star resorts in Mexico, the Dominican, Cuba all under $1200/ per person (7 days) and kids stay and eat free. If you are game to spin the wheel and wing it there are definitely some sick deals available.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    It's almost like no one read your requirements. Your cheap, you want dolphins and a beach to relax on. Cuba is your best bet.
    Haha thank you! Cuba has come up a few times now.

What about Jamaica all inclusive?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Love Jamaica... it tends to be more expensive the other places

Cuba can be hit and miss... from everyone I know that has went... it’s more miss

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Just stay away from the railings on the balconies! ...not sure how you avoid the exploding gas leaks though
    As long as you're not worried about your spouse pushing you over then you should be just fine around balconies. And freak accidents happen everywhere, so if one gas leak in umpteen decades that didn't kill anyone worries you, you probably shouldn't leave your house. ever.

I was actually at GSP like a couple weeks after that explosion. Got a smoking deal on it last minute after all the bad press, checked Tripadvisor and everyone was saying it was A-ok. Showed up and they didn't lie. Couldn't even tell where this explosion took place. Had a great time and actually went back again a couple years later.

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    Love Jamaica... it tends to be more expensive the other places

Cuba can be hit and miss... from everyone I know that has went... it’s more miss
    If food isn't important to you than Cuba is probably fine. But that is the complaint I hear from 99% of people I ask about Cuba who have been there. They all seem to say the food is terrible. Food is probably my top priority on an all inclusive vacation, so I can't bring myself to risk it. Plus the price(which might look nice from budget perspective) is a big turn off. Shit that cheap is almost always that cheap for a reason. The reason is because it sucks.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    As long as you're not worried about your spouse pushing you over then you should be just fine around balconies. And freak accidents happen everywhere, so if one gas leak in umpteen decades that didn't kill anyone worries you, you probably shouldn't leave your house. ever.

I was actually at GSP like a couple weeks after that explosion. Got a smoking deal on it last minute after all the bad press, checked Tripadvisor and everyone was saying it was A-ok. Showed up and they didn't lie. Couldn't even tell where this explosion took place. Had a great time and actually went back again a couple years later.
    I think he was referring to an accident I had about 10 years ago where I fell off a 3rd storey balcony flat on my face and just about died. I know a couple people on here have heard it.

I agree about Cuba though. It’s beautiful and the beaches are amazing but the food is terrible even at the best resorts. I didn’t find Cubans to be overly accommodating like Mexican people either.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 11-19-2018 at 10:36 AM.

My Ride
    This and that.

I hated the food in Cuba. Probably the worst of all the destinations I've been to including Mexico (few different cities), Dominican, Jamaica, Aruba, St. Kitts, St. Lucia and a variety of other Caribbean islands. Mind you, if you like seafood you will probably be okay but as someone who doesn't like seafood Cuba was the worst for me and we stayed at the 'premium' side of a high-end resort..although I am blanking on the name right now.

Best food I have found to date based on the country is Jamaica by far! One thing that is a plus for Jamaica too is you don't need to worry about the water as the entire islands fresh watter systems are treated in the same way we do. Some Mexican joints are really good and some not so good. Generally the higher end the resort the better the food. Cuba the food was pretty rough in the resorts but off resort there are some really nice places. Dominican was like Mexico.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Best food I have found to date based on the country is Jamaica by far! One thing that is a plus for Jamaica too is you don't need to worry about the water as the entire islands fresh watter systems are treated in the same way we do. Some Mexican joints are really good and some not so good. Generally the higher end the resort the better the food. Cuba the food was pretty rough in the resorts but off resort there are some really nice places. Dominican was like Mexico.
    Yummmmm Jerk Chicken (Jamaica). I had heart burn like crazy for pretty much the entire time there but so worth it! lol.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 11-19-2018 at 11:57 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    I think he was referring to an accident I had about 10 years ago where I fell off a 3rd storey balcony flat on my face and just about died. I know a couple people on here have heard it.

I agree about Cuba though. It’s beautiful and the beaches are amazing but the food is terrible even at the best resorts. I didn’t find Cubans to be overly accommodating like Mexican people either.
    I actually had not heard that one! There seemed to just have been a good period of time where there was balcony related stories coming out of Mexico... I remember someone also that went and the thing just fell off when they leaned on it

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Westjet vacations black Friday deals are up today I think. Have a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Yummmmm Jerk Chicken (Jamaica). I heard heart burn like crazy for pretty much the entire time there but so worth it! lol.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the jerk chicken! The roadside guy cooking it in a half a barrel with a piece on tin roofing over top holding in the heat and smoke is the best damn jerk chicken I have ever had!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast