Quantcast
Help me chose a budget android phone - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me chose a budget android phone

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Default Help me chose a budget android phone

I swear there was a thread about this recently but I can't find it VIA search or browsing....

Anyways I currently rock an S7-Edge. I'm happy with it but it is starting to get really degraded battery, vibration motor is dead, sometimes notification doesn't work. However if it was working like a new S7-Edge I'd be happy to stick with it. Therefore you know the rough performance envelope I am looking for:

Requirements:
    - Expandable memory
    - Would really like AndroidOne or some really raw android
    - Wireless charging
    - Decent camera.
    -Sub $500, but lower the happier of course.

Phone is mostly used for browsing reddit, listening to music / podcasts, and taking photos.

Front-Runners:
    - Xiaomi Mi A1/A2/A2 Lite (no wireless charging)
    - Nokia 6 (also no wireless charging)
    - ASUS ZenFone Max Plus M1a
    - BLU Life One X3 (looks lower quality but really cheap and huge battery)

All are available on Amazon for about $300-$400.

Edit: Should mention I'm kind of prepping for Black-Friday. So doesn't have to be amazon or those above.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 11-17-2018 at 01:37 PM.
    Cos...

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I have a zenfone 3, its a but older but its been rock solid for the price... i just bought my kid a Xiaomi redmi note 4 for xmas, one of the top budget phones, tons of support on xda to install a stock rom on it.

(edit, note 5 not note 4.... dont bother with note6, there isnt a lot of 3rd party support and the stock rom kinda sucks
    Last edited by Thaco; 11-17-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Samsung A8?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

haha, read 'budget' and immediately thought of my 50$ (new) android backup phone .... i guess $500 is 'budget' these days with phones !! (most seem to be >1000$).

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Samsung A8?
    Never thought to look at Samsun's offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    I have a zenfone 3, its a but older but its been rock solid for the price... i just bought my kid a Xiaomi redmi note 4 for xmas, one of the top budget phones, tons of support on xda to install a stock rom on it.
    Interesting, I'll read up on them. I always only get to the Mi section of the webpage. Edit damn, the Redmi Note 6 pro looks pretty badass. Have to do more reading on that.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    haha, read 'budget' and immediately thought of my 50$ (new) android backup phone .... i guess $500 is 'budget' these days with phones !! (most seem to be >1000$).
    Realistically I would like $200-$300 but I don't want to miss out on a $300-$400 phone. The reading I've been doing, anything north of $500 and I won't use the features. The pixels, F1 phone, etc all seem great but I don't really do any of that on my phone anymore.

Shit I was considering going to the new Nokia 3310 but I can't work out music.

Last edited by The Cosworth; 11-17-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I got my HTC 10 when it was on sale for $499. Decent flagship for me
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    I swear there was a thread about this recently but I can't find it VIA search or browsing....
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/408...nd-smartphones

Interesting, I'll read up on them. I always only get to the Mi section of the webpage. Edit damn, the Redmi Note 6 pro looks pretty badass. Have to do more reading on that.
    I was going to suggest the Redmi Note 5 Pro, but it doesn't have wireless charging and isn't Android One. It does have a faster processor and bigger battery over the Mi A1/A2/A2 Lite though. The battery on this thing is ridiculous. I don't think I've ever hit under 80% on my regular day-to-day stuff, though of course that largely depends on what you do on your phone. It only costs about $300 with DHL shipping and taxes from Aliexpress so you can't be too choosy I guess. They're supposed to be cutting prices now that the Note 6 Pro is out.

If Android One is important to you, I'd also be looking at the Nokia 7.1 from B&H Photo. Unfortunately like the 6.1, it also doesn't have wireless charging.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

If you want a smaller phone, Sony ZX1 Compact. Awesome battery life, Snapdragon 835, photos are fantastic (even has 960-fps slow motion video) , fairly raw Android, not nearly the bloatware others have, Pie rollout has already started (likely the last one for this phone though). $350 USD right now, but Im sure Black Friday will have some blowout prices.

If you want something newer/better, and don't mind not having a headphone jack, the ZX2 Compact is even better. I just personally didn't like the curved back.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 11-17-2018 at 08:08 PM.

My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post

I was going to suggest the Redmi Note 5 Pro, but it doesn't have wireless charging and isn't Android One. It does have a faster processor and bigger battery over the Mi A1/A2/A2 Lite though. The battery on this thing is ridiculous. I don't think I've ever hit under 80% on my regular day-to-day stuff, though of course that largely depends on what you do on your phone. It only costs about $300 with DHL shipping and taxes from Aliexpress so you can't be too choosy I guess. They're supposed to be cutting prices now that the Note 6 Pro is out.

If Android One is important to you, I'd also be looking at the Nokia 7.1 from B&H Photo. Unfortunately like the 6.1, it also doesn't have wireless charging.
    i went with the note 5 because of its significant amount of 3rd party support on XDA, You can easily flash vanilla-ish android

^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

i went with the note 5 because of its significant amount of 3rd party support on XDA, You can easily flash vanilla-ish android
    Yeah, but some people just don't want to have to deal with that. I install LineageOS on my devices when the manufacturers no longer provide updates, but if I can get pure Android from the manufacturer, it's a no brainer. I appreciate the developers who do work on custom roms with their spare time, but I hate having to rely on them to come out with updates.

My Ride
    Rage2

Yeah, but some people just don't want to have to deal with that. I install LineageOS on my devices when the manufacturers no longer provide updates, but if I can get pure Android from the manufacturer, it's a no brainer. I appreciate the developers who do work on custom roms with their spare time, but I hate having to rely on them to come out with updates.
    i agree, but those are the perks of going cheap

^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I got my HTC 10 when it was on sale for $499. Decent flagship for me
    For some reason I just do not like HTC ROM's. I had one a long time ago (don't remember which one), and it kind of turned me off the brand.

Man, how did I miss that. Maybe because it didn't say android..... thanks. I just read your post, you mention you'd spend a little more and get an Android One version. Do you mean of the Note 5 or were you thinking something else like the Mi A2?

For the wireless charging / Android One thing. So Android one is because of the same thing you mention about ROM's. I just don't care to tinker too much to get a phone clean and running. My S7 has so much bloatware that I had to flash ROM's on it, but they're just never as stable. Wireless charging is mainly because I built a stand at work that holds my phone but keeps it fully charged while I listen to music. I dont NEED it (not like I have wireless charging in my vehicle or anything) but it would be a nice feature.

I kind of went down a Xaomi hole after the post from @Thaco and I'm impressed actually. Was even thinking about seeing if the F1 Poco goes on sale on black friday. It is top of my budget but even $550 isn't insane for the specs. If not, the Note 5 Pro does seem pretty killer of a device. The new ones get worse reviews it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    If you want a smaller phone, Sony ZX1 Compact. Awesome battery life, Snapdragon 835, photos are fantastic (even has 960-fps slow motion video) , fairly raw Android, not nearly the bloatware others have, Pie rollout has already started (likely the last one for this phone though). $350 USD right now, but Im sure Black Friday will have some blowout prices.

If you want something newer/better, and don't mind not having a headphone jack, the ZX2 Compact is even better. I just personally didn't like the curved back.
    I'll have to see if I can find one. The super sqaure design is not pleasing to me.

i agree, but those are the perks of going cheap
    Yeah that's my biggest thing. I hate the bloat-ware. But the Note 5 Pro really seems to be a front-runner right now. https://goo.gl/PyMKmY
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 11-18-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    Cos...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:57 PM.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Zenfones are pretty much the best bang for your buck, plus reliable. That would be a great way to go.

My wife has had 2 Xiaomi phones... they both started to shit the bed within 6 months. Wouldn't recommend that brand.

Also... blackberry... seriously. They have some lower cost phones that have amazing battery life, solid tech., and blackberry supports them with major updates regularly. Plus you get the convenience of Android with the security of a BB.

I've had a new BB for almost 2 years and compared to the Samsung shit I had before I love it. My next phone will be another BB for sure.
    Im thinking of doing a zenphone for the wife and a xaomi for me. Both our phones are getting a bit grumpy (she has a S7, I have the S7-Edge). The zenphone is quite a big cheaper (25%).

Apparently the new BB camera is terrible (from what I've read).
    Cos...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.

My Ride
    Rage2

Yeah that's my biggest thing. I hate the bloat-ware. But the Note 5 Pro really seems to be a front-runner right now. https://goo.gl/PyMKmY
    yeah that's the one i got for my kid, was $187USD during their 11.11 sale

^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Man, how did I miss that. Maybe because it didn't say android..... thanks. I just read your post, you mention you'd spend a little more and get an Android One version. Do you mean of the Note 5 or were you thinking something else like the Mi A2?

For the wireless charging / Android One thing. So Android one is because of the same thing you mention about ROM's. I just don't care to tinker too much to get a phone clean and running. My S7 has so much bloatware that I had to flash ROM's on it, but they're just never as stable. Wireless charging is mainly because I built a stand at work that holds my phone but keeps it fully charged while I listen to music. I dont NEED it (not like I have wireless charging in my vehicle or anything) but it would be a nice feature.
    In the time I wrote that, my opinion has changed slightly. If you compare the hardware between the Note 5 Pro and the A1/A2/A2 Lite, the Note 5 Pro is the winner (for me, at least). It's got the fastest/newest processor of the four AND it's got the biggest battery. The processor differences probably aren't a big deal for most things and you'll only notice it if you're gaming. Everyone was raving about the battery before I got this and I thought, big fucking deal, and now I can't even look at other phones cause of it! I still like smaller phones and once or twice a week I think maybe I should get a Nokia 6.1 or 7.1 as my daily driver, but then I always go back to the battery size hahaha

Now as far as the Xiaomi MIUI interface, I was a little hesitant to get the phone cause of it. I'll preface this by saying I am absolutely anal about the way my phones are set up. My icons and buttons have to be set up in a certain way, I don't want any apps installed that I'm not going to use, my settings have to be set up in a specific way, text size has to be a certain size, even the way I get my notifications. With that in mind I can say MIUI isn't bad. What bloat it has isn't terrible and a lot of it can be uninstalled or debloated without needing to unlock the bootloader or rooting it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comm...at_the_note_5/

If you aren't weird like me (and most people aren't), it's really easy to get used to MIUI. It's got a lot of settings and customizations in it. So much so that it's even overwhelming sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I still installed the Pixel launcher and when the LineageOS comes out with an official Pie ROM and it's fully matured I'm going to switch to it, but until then I can live with it.

tl;dr: If I were to do it all over again I'd still go with the Note 5 Pro, but if the same phone came with Android One out-the-box, I'd pay more for it. I really think Xiaomi hit the ball out of the park with this model.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

yeah that's the one i got for my kid, was $187USD during their 11.11 sale
    :'( daym. Hopefully it drops some for Black Friday.

In the time I wrote that, my opinion has changed slightly. If you compare the hardware between the Note 5 Pro and the A1/A2/A2 Lite, the Note 5 Pro is the winner (for me, at least). It's got the fastest/newest processor of the four AND it's got the biggest battery. The processor differences probably aren't a big deal for most things and you'll only notice it if you're gaming. Everyone was raving about the battery before I got this and I thought, big fucking deal, and now I can't even look at other phones cause of it! I still like smaller phones and once or twice a week I think maybe I should get a Nokia 6.1 or 7.1 as my daily driver, but then I always go back to the battery size hahaha

Now as far as the Xiaomi MIUI interface, I was a little hesitant to get the phone cause of it. I'll preface this by saying I am absolutely anal about the way my phones are set up. My icons and buttons have to be set up in a certain way, I don't want any apps installed that I'm not going to use, my settings have to be set up in a specific way, text size has to be a certain size, even the way I get my notifications. With that in mind I can say MIUI isn't bad. What bloat it has isn't terrible and a lot of it can be uninstalled or debloated without needing to unlock the bootloader or rooting it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comm...at_the_note_5/

If you aren't weird like me (and most people aren't), it's really easy to get used to MIUI. It's got a lot of settings and customizations in it. So much so that it's even overwhelming sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I still installed the Pixel launcher and when the LineageOS comes out with an official Pie ROM and it's fully matured I'm going to switch to it, but until then I can live with it.

tl;dr: If I were to do it all over again I'd still go with the Note 5 Pro, but if the same phone came with Android One out-the-box, I'd pay more for it. I really think Xiaomi hit the ball out of the park with this model.
    Nice, OK that sounds like where my head is at as well. Especially if I can pick it up for even cheaper. I never found it on Amazon though. Looks like I am going to be waiting for AliExpress. :/

If you aren't weird like me (and most people aren't)
    Forgot what I am like hey? hahahaha
    Cos...

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

If anyone else is following this, the Note 5 Global 64gb version is going on sale on Black Friday: BLACK FRIDAY SALE US $176.88 - 213.99

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Glob...9-7269186157a2
    Cos...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Nice, OK that sounds like where my head is at as well. Especially if I can pick it up for even cheaper. I never found it on Amazon though. Looks like I am going to be waiting for AliExpress. :/
    I bought mine from Amazon over the summer, but they're no longer in stock anymore.

If anyone else is following this, the Note 5 Global 64gb version is going on sale on Black Friday: BLACK FRIDAY SALE US $176.88 - 213.99

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Glob...9-7269186157a2
    Don't forget the Aliexpress coupon and eBates hahaha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast