Quantcast
Router died on me this morning. Need opions for a new one. (preferrably ASAP) - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Router died on me this morning. Need opions for a new one. (preferrably ASAP)

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Now I'm not sure weather it's my router, or modem that's the problem. Sometimes hard resetting the router fixes my internet, and sometimes resetting my modem does, and sometimes I have to do both.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It seems like every setup does well with periodic resets. We have to do ours every couple weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    hmm I have had a Netgear AC1900 for over 5 years now with no issues.
    Based on what you wrote it, it must've lasted that long because I lucked out and mounted it on the wall right in front of a vent in my house.
    K I must have jinxed this. I'm dropping connection around once/day now. FML.

Considering the new nest wifi since I was looking at buying new g-home speakers anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    K I must have jinxed this. I'm dropping connection around once/day now. FML.

Considering the new nest wifi since I was looking at buying new g-home speakers anyways.
    Careful with the mesh systems if you have smart home things, Wyze cams, etc. that rely on the "always on" 2.4Ghz band - many of them cannot simultaneously broadcast 2.4 and 5 Ghz, only have one SSID, and have issues with "smart" things. The router tries to decide for you if you should be on the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band. It's one area where a 'traditional' router makes things a lot easier, but obviously that doesn't help you if you're trying to increase coverage.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Careful with the mesh systems if you have smart home things, Wyze cams, etc. that rely on the "always on" 2.4Ghz band - many of them cannot simultaneously broadcast 2.4 and 5 Ghz, only have one SSID, and have issues with "smart" things. The router tries to decide for you if you should be on the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band. It's one area where a 'traditional' router makes things a lot easier, but obviously that doesn't help you if you're trying to increase coverage.
    This is very wrong. 2 things, only a few mesh systems can't separate SSIDs, Google WiFi and Eero are the big offenders. They use band steering, and band steering isn't stupid, 2.4 only devices will NOT ever get steered into 5ghz. If a device has never probed 5ghz because it's not there, it won't steer it. Period. This means that your dual band devices that aren't close enough to the AP and has shitty 5ghz communications will also not get steered. There's also a minimum signal strengh before it steers. That case should not happen. For anything else, you can easily setup 2.4 and 5 specific as well as mixed band SSIDs.

Sort of on the topic, the original Nest cameras (indoor and outdoor) has a bug in the network stack, where regardless of what wifi you use, it disconnects and isn't smart enough to restart itself. It keeps the IP address, but it just stops sending any data to the network. The only way to get it to come back up is to wait 3 hours, reboot the camera (yea not happening) or disconnecting the client offline at the network level before the camera reconnects and restarts. I suspect this is at a hardware level because it has not been fixed in any firmware update. Ring Hello and the new $400 camera doesn't suffer from this problem. Not sure if the new revision indoor camera suffers from this either. I love my Nest cams but this is the biggest problem with it. Happens a couple times a month.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This is very wrong. 2 things, only a few mesh systems can't separate SSIDs, Google WiFi and Eero are the big offenders. They use band steering, and band steering isn't stupid, 2.4 only devices will NOT ever get steered into 5ghz. If a device has never probed 5ghz because it's not there, it won't steer it. Period. This means that your dual band devices that aren't close enough to the AP and has shitty 5ghz communications will also not get steered. There's also a minimum signal strengh before it steers. That case should not happen. For anything else, you can easily setup 2.4 and 5 specific as well as mixed band SSIDs.

Sort of on the topic, the original Nest cameras (indoor and outdoor) has a bug in the network stack, where regardless of what wifi you use, it disconnects and isn't smart enough to restart itself. It keeps the IP address, but it just stops sending any data to the network. The only way to get it to come back up is to wait 3 hours, reboot the camera (yea not happening) or disconnecting the client offline at the network level before the camera reconnects and restarts. I suspect this is at a hardware level because it has not been fixed in any firmware update. Ring Hello and the new $400 camera doesn't suffer from this problem. Not sure if the new revision indoor camera suffers from this either. I love my Nest cams but this is the biggest problem with it. Happens a couple times a month.
    Yup, that's why I replied to his comment about Google/Nest Wifi - it has lots of documented issues with smart home items because of the way Google handles the bands. I don't understand what was "very wrong" about that in the context of Google WiFi. Google and Eero are some of the most popular mesh systems that I am aware of anyway.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-17-2019 at 01:43 PM.

If you want to bend the law a little bit, many routers and recievers have the ability to do channel 12 and 13 on b/g. You are pretty much guaranteed to not have interference with neighbors on it.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I had this happen to me once with a nest cam. Support was unable to fix it then after being powered off for a few hours I turned it on and it started up. Good to know why it did so seeing your explanation.

I did have a lot of issues with previous wifi system due to airtime fairness (asus) as smart devices hate that feature but since changing to the Velop I haven’t had any issues.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride

Well the Asus lasted almost two years. Fucking hell. Just kept cutting out at least 3 times a day during my wife's working hours. Kept getting a "your isp's dhcp does not function " message everytime. Did everything I could find online about it, and the message stopped, and was just replaced with "Disconnected"

Went out and grabbed this one on sale at memex. I hope this one can outlast the Asus.

Netgear NightHawk AX8 802.11ax

Name:  MX77559-0.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  10.4 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Very cool imperial shuttlecraft vibe. I approve.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If you're blowing through routers on a regular basis - do you have it connected to a UPS?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Well the Asus lasted almost two years. Fucking hell. Just kept cutting out at least 3 times a day during my wife's working hours. Kept getting a "your isp's dhcp does not function " message everytime. Did everything I could find online about it, and the message stopped, and was just replaced with "Disconnected"

Went out and grabbed this one on sale at memex. I hope this one can outlast the Asus.

Netgear NightHawk AX8 802.11ax

Name:  MX77559-0.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  10.4 KB
    I just got the Nighthawk mesh system. Pretty happy so far. Speeds are up 30% and the mesh system is working well. Now I get ~300 mbits on my phone anywhere on my main floor whereas I was ~70 mbits on the wifi from the modem.

Oh, and 802.11ax is a nice upgrade

My Ride
    Z

I got UPSs, you will be proud
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Now I'm not sure weather it's my router, or modem that's the problem. Sometimes hard resetting the router fixes my internet, and sometimes resetting my modem does, and sometimes I have to do both.
    I was considering using a smart outlet to schedule a weekly reboot. But then Telus put a goddamn battery backup in smart hub so gotta do it manually.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    If you're blowing through routers on a regular basis - do you have it connected to a UPS?
    I don't. But also don't think the cost of a UPS, plus the power to run it would have any monetary benefits.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I don't. But also don't think the cost of a UPS, plus the power to run it would have any monetary benefits.
    UPS won't use enough power to notice.

Spending money on a decent UPS vs spending $200 on a new router every couple of years... I think I'd rather buy the UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    I was considering using a smart outlet to schedule a weekly reboot. But then Telus put a goddamn battery backup in smart hub so gotta do it manually.
    A lot of routers have options in the settings to automatically reboot at a certain time.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    UPS won't use enough power to notice.

Spending money on a decent UPS vs spending $200 on a new router every couple of years... I think I'd rather buy the UPS.
    I've never used one before, but recall a thread where Rage mentioned his UPS power usage was obscene when he metered it. If my computer was in the same room, it might be worth it, but there's nothing except the modem and router in the area I would need it.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    A lot of routers have options in the settings to automatically reboot at a certain time.
    Or get a router that doesn't need rebooting all the time.
    Name:  uptime.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  17.8 KB

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ haha, love these units. They just keep on ticking. See than on a regular basis.

A $80 UPS is a no brainer when you are frying components like than on a semi-regular basis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast