Quantcast
Router died on me this morning. Need opions for a new one. (preferrably ASAP) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Router died on me this morning. Need opions for a new one. (preferrably ASAP)

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well mine has lasted all of 10 months. Was just doing routine internetting today and my internet suddenly died. Shaw modem showed fine, but the Asus wasn't receiving a signal. Hooked the modem straight to computer, and it was fine. Tried a bunch of stuff before I had to hard reset the Asus, which worked. Maybe a one-off, or maybe the start of it shitting the bed.
    Try a firmware update. Also try a weekly scheduled reboot. Also, make sure not setup in an enclosed area as heat is a killer.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

The weird thing about the firmware, was that it was up to date, but after the reset, it wasn't and I had to update it again. I'll do the weekly reset schedule, hopefully that's all it needs.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

buying the Asus Extraslow recommended
    I read that wrong and thought to myself that is an awful name for a router.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride

The weird thing about the firmware, was that it was up to date, but after the reset, it wasn't and I had to update it again. I'll do the weekly reset schedule, hopefully that's all it needs.
    Thats not a good sign. The actual NVRAM should not be affected. I've seen many (dying) routers die after updates.

I know its a catch all solution, but a UPS device would be helpful on these high priced (several $$) units. Electrical transient events can be cumulative in nature in terms of taking down equipment.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

They the newest version if Asus Merlin.
    https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

Remember to reset to factory after converting and see if that helps

If anyone is still looking, this is a good deal on what is arguably the best consumer AC router you can buy currently:

https://www.amazon.ca/Netgear-Nighth...gateway&sr=8-2

It is the same internally as a Netgear R7800.

Oh my god man... im so sorry These things can be really hard to get through. I suggest taking it in and having it cremated. Get a box you can get the ashes put in, spread them in the room the the router loved most. When mine went i put some ash in a necklace and wore it. Just remember, you have all of beyonds support, we'll get you through this.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anyone is still looking, this is a good deal on what is arguably the best consumer AC router you can buy currently:

And then in 6 months it will die a death due to internal heat ? The look/design of these apparently is more form than function. Some of these units should really have internal fans - even at low speeds. Even an aluminum case would be much better than plastic on these things.

Thats one reason why the UBIQUITY products are far better than these glorified plastic units. The do have a steep learning curve though.
    Last edited by revelations; 08-22-2019 at 12:16 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    And then in 6 months it will die a death due to internal heat ? The look/design of these apparently is more form than function. Some of these units should really have internal fans - even at low speeds. Even an aluminum case would be much better than plastic on these things.

Thats one reason why the UBIQUITY products are far better than these glorified plastic units. The do have a steep learning curve though.
    hmm I have had a Netgear AC1900 for over 5 years now with no issues.
    Based on what you wrote it, it must've lasted that long because I lucked out and mounted it on the wall right in front of a vent in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post

Umm nope haha, I don't know where you're getting that from. I've been running one for years (7800). In all my research I have never come across anything about heat issues. It barely even gets warm to the touch. Most of my family/friends have been running R7000's for many years without issue either, and not in cool environments.

It remains the #1 ranked AC router on smallnetbuilder, who does the most thorough reviews IMO. No mention of heat there either. ~600-660Mbps (my ISP maximum) 2 floors away from my router.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-22-2019 at 01:06 PM.

My Ride

I've moved away from these monster machine, all in one routers.

In addition to 2 nighthawks blowing their loads, I also had a high end ASUS unit (450$) fail after 11 months. Thats 3/5 units I setup.

If home/small biz clients want high performance, for me it means a Unifi WAP married to a Unifi (edge) router all the way. I've setup dozens of these and they are set and forget - esp with the auto update feature.

The wifi performance is insane from the HD WAP units.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Fuck netgear. I bought the R8000 because of so many reviews about how great it was and it forever would randomly drop packets or lose connections intermittently. Flashed to DDWRT and still no difference. After a bunch of digging I found that’s just how some are and it’s a hardware problem that has no solution. After a year I gave up and bought a better setup and never looked back.

Don’t waste your money on the 7xxx and 8xxx ones as they are hit or miss with what you’ll get

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Fuck netgear. I bought the R8000 because of so many reviews about how great it was and it forever would randomly drop packets or lose connections intermittently. Flashed to DDWRT and still no difference. After a bunch of digging I found that’s just how some are and it’s a hardware problem that has no solution. After a year I gave up and bought a better setup and never looked back.

Don’t waste your money on the 7xxx and 8xxx ones as they are hit or miss with what you’ll get
    The R8000 is neither a popular nor very well reviewed router from what I have seen and it's Broadcom based. Sorry you had bad luck with one R8000. Also important to note that some Netgear models are based on qualcomm and others broadcom, the qualcomm ones generally being better (like the 7800/X4S/XR500).

I've set people up with 10+ R7000s/7800s and not a single one has failed or had issues yet and I've been using them myself 24/7 since ~2013 issue-free. I guess it's like anything though, if you dig you can always find people who have had issues. There is no objective evidence I have ever seen that suggest broad issues with the entire Netgear 7/8XXX lineup, and my experience over numerous samples has been the exact opposite.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wish that asus RT-AC86U I like would go on sale again. I'd use it as a wireless extender in the office, and if/when we move, I'd take it home and run it as AImesh. It chaps me to think about buying a single-use extender that I may only need for half a year or less. It'll probably go on sale for BF, and I'll probably buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Hey guys. Good timing as I need a router as well. Was thinking to get this one since the RT-AC86U is not on sale and really need one with good range.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...c3100/10399527

Any feedback? For sure steep price but I think it's a good sale price.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hmm, that RT-AC86U was on sale for $199 last week I think. But yeah the RT-AC3100 you linked to should be amazing too.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Hmm, that RT-AC86U was on sale for $199 last week I think. But yeah the RT-AC3100 you linked to should be amazing too.
    I think the 1900 was on sale, not the 2900

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I just saw it in passing, I could be mistaken.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Thank you gentlemen
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you find you need more range you can always grab another rt-ac86u during black Friday and set it up as mesh with Aimesh too. Pretty flexible system

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast