Quantcast
Living in Thailand? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Living in Thailand?

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Default Living in Thailand?

Does anyone have experience living in Thailand for extended periods? Does it get boring? What's the VISA situation? Every winter I think 'fuck this shit, i'm out' and Thailand seems like an ideal spot to hide out or even retire early to.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

My daughter is working there a s a teacher. Without a work visa you can stay for 3 months on a visitor visa and then leave the country for a day to do another "visa run" to allow you to stay for another 3 months. She is now employed at the school so the school took care of her longterm working visa and health insurance.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I watched some youtube videos earlier this year. Some interesting perspectives.

Not so much Thailand, but I did meet a lot of people in Hanoi Vietnam that were working. Some people were from Vancouver, Montreal etc. They were working as developers, teachers etc. They had enough of the shit pay, high rents etc.

Another friend of mine worked in the region. She tended to travel around a lot there as flights were so cheap and she did different jobs.

As for retirement, I met a some guys in their 40's and 60's. They had some good perspectives. One guy had a business in Thailand, export/import. He lived in a highrise in Bangkok and had a good life. In terms of visa he had to leave Thailand for a month or so. So he would go visit his mistress (well now part time gf) in Vietnam and travel around. His life was not perfect, his apartment was smaller than my condo. He had to learn Thai etc. But for him it was perfect, he traveled to so many countries.

The retirees I met were mostly divorced and spent six months there. Most had local girlfriends and a apartment, some of their girlfriends had their own businesses which got direction from their retired boyfriends. The guys enjoyed it. Weather and food was good. Beaches and places to relax a plenty. Quality booty whenever they needed.

You can stay long term on a visitor visa, you just have to do an over night visa run every 3 months. That's what all the guys I know do that stay there for years.

If my wife wasn't so gung ho on having kids and a dog I'd be long gone already. Would not be hard to cash out everything here, and then just make enough money to live well there by day trading stocks. I'd also like to look into the possibility of just getting some land and building a nice set of bungalows near some Muay Thai Camps, have a decent income coming in from that.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can stay long term on a visitor visa, you just have to do an over night visa run every 3 months. That's what all the guys I know do that stay there for years.

If my wife wasn't so gung ho on having kids and a dog I'd be long gone already. Would not be hard to cash out everything here, and then just make enough money to live well there by day trading stocks. I'd also like to look into the possibility of just getting some land and building a nice set of bungalows near some Muay Thai Camps, have a decent income coming in from that.

Yah Visa Runs.. I think you pay off officals at the boarder (It cant be expensive) - but they did start cracking down on it.

I know a few who lived/live out there, it's like any country IMO after awhile you get bored but first few months will def be super fun I'm sure.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    Yah Visa Runs.. I think you pay off officals at the boarder (It cant be expensive) - but they did start cracking down on it.

I know a few who lived/live out there, it's like any country IMO after awhile you get bored but first few months will def be super fun I'm sure.
    I don't know what you would be paying off? You are simply obeying the rules by leaving the country prior to your 3 month visa expiring. Then you are re-entering the next day and getting a brand new 3 month visitor visa. There isn't a minimum time frame you have to be gone for AFAIK.

I wouldn't have any intention to do it for fun necessarily. I'd be more interested in living semi retired somewhere with no cold weather, and not paying 70% of my income to taxes. Go to the gym, cook meals, do laundry, hangout. Same thing as here, but without all consumerism BS that we need to fill some void that exists from trying to tell ourselves we are happy living in this frozen dump.

No personal experience but met lots of people who live in Koh Tao as Scuba Instructors. From speaking with various people you can do a 24 hr trip to Malaysia for a 3 month visa or Myanmar for a 2 month visa.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Friend who lived there for a few years

Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Same thing as here, but without all consumerism BS that we need to fill some void that exists from trying to tell ourselves we are happy living in this frozen dump.
    R U me?

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    Friend who lived there for a few years

Do you know if you can buy a house as a 'tourist'? Or are you limited to renting?
    Last edited by tcon; 12-11-2018 at 08:22 PM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post
    R U me?

Do you know if you can buy a house as a 'tourist'? Or are you limited to renting?
    Foreigners can't buy a house period (there are work arounds but the gist is there needs to be a Thai partner). You need to look at the tax impact of establishing residence there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post
    R U me?

There is ways to do it. I know one person personally that bought a condo there, it was basically like a Thai national owned the whole complex on paper, and then you buy a "share" in the complex. But in general you can't own more than 49% of anything.