Quantcast
1m buffer around bicycles on roadways - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 1m buffer around bicycles on roadways

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The vast majority commuter cyclists in Calgary are a special form of snowflake that’s for sure.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This.

Such a tiny percentage of cyclists are courteous, let alone obey the rules, that it's pointless to even try. Same old story - they are a 'vehicle' when convenient, and a 'pedestrian' when convenient. The filtering is the absolute worst though, because it isn't convenient for them to be a 'vehicle' if they are behind anyone.
    Almost like having separated lanes to bridge the gap between not being a vehicle and not being a pedestrian would be a logical solution to this problem.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Almost like having separated lanes to bridge the gap between not being a vehicle and not being a pedestrian would be a logical solution to this problem.
    Here is a better idea. A giant network of car only lanes across the city that don’t allow cyclists. I have an idea for a pilot program that would cost literally nothing, in fact the lanes are already all built right to each edge of the city.

And we can stop pandering to a tiny minority of losers who need to grow up and stop riding children’s toys to work.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    And give explicit rights to bikers to run red lights at will because unclipping their $600 shoes is unfathomable.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    The vast majority commuter cyclists in Calgary are a special form of snowflake that’s for sure.
    Almost all are white males. That's the first problem.

I think the level of snow flakeness is directly proportional to the amount of pro or near-pro level attire that a cyclist wears.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

You are the jerks, no you are the jerks first...……………..
    Why can't we all be nice?

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Head's up, new rules for drivers with respect to cyclists starting September 1, 2019.. Basically, distance separation to a cyclist when a driver is passing them on a roadway, link...

Attachment 87286

Good, bad, I just do not know but certainly sounds like something that could possibly incite a few more road rage incidents.
    So when two cyclists decide to ride side-by-side, which one gets the 1m clearance?

Personally, I don't think bicycles should be allowed on roads with a speed limit over 60 km/h, unless there is a generous shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos
    License plates, registration, and mandatory liability insurance to drive on the road.
    Not a bad idea--ride on the sidewalk or pay to ride on the road like every other vehicle.

I think the level of snow flakeness is directly proportional to the amount of pro or near-pro level attire that a cyclist wears.
    This is true.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Speaking of complaints that will never hold up.
    The day I see cyclists obeying the rules of the road is the day I will be sympathetic towards them complaining about cars.

The day I see motorists obeying the rules of the road is the day I will be sympathetic towards them complaining about cyclists.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

As a former commuter (cyclist) the best answer was that stay the F off major roads, like Macleod Tr, outside of downtown. I would take the residential bike paths whenever possible.

It was just too risky with the speed differential.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    As a former commuter (cyclist) the best answer was that stay the F off major roads, like Macleod Tr, outside of downtown. I would take the residential bike paths whenever possible.

It was just too risky with the speed differential.
    Also as a former cycle commuter, 50kph roads like Centre Street coming into downtown south of 7th Avenue north should be a no go for cyclists because of how narrow it is and the volume of traffic it carries especially during the rush.
    Will fuck off, again.

Here is a better idea. A giant network of car only lanes across the city that donÂ’t allow cyclists. I have an idea for a pilot program that would cost literally nothing, in fact the lanes are already all built right to each edge of the city.
    You have my unequivocal support for this program.

Seeing the ~$600M Transportation operating budget go to $0 and the nearly $1.5B capital budget for the next 3 years go to $0 will really save taxpayers money and open up a whole new wave of projects the city hasn't been able to pay for.

Wow the level of hate for cyclists is pretty eye opening. Yes there's bad behavior amongst cyclists just like there's tons of terrible drivers. As both a driver and cyclist I tend to see far more (it's not even close) dangerous behavior behind the wheel than on bikes. Rules to give cyclists space have been in effect in California for many years and I believe it's reduced cyclists being side swiped or hit from behind by vehicles which is by far the most frequent and dangerous type of accident. When a cyclist gets hit by a vehicle there isn't the luxury of airbags or seatbelts so extra precautions to protect them out on the road is a great idea. We've been behind the curve on this.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Here is a better idea. A giant network of car only lanes across the city that don’t allow cyclists.
    Cause Deerfoot is just a gem without bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Wow the level of hate for cyclists is pretty eye opening. Yes there's bad behavior amongst cyclists just like there's tons of terrible drivers. As both a driver and cyclist I tend to see far more (it's not even close) dangerous behavior behind the wheel than on bikes. Rules to give cyclists space have been in effect in California for many years and I believe it's reduced cyclists being side swiped or hit from behind by vehicles which is by far the most frequent and dangerous type of accident. When a cyclist gets hit by a vehicle there isn't the luxury of airbags or seatbelts so extra precautions to protect them out on the road is a great idea. We've been behind the curve on this.
    Cyclists move around on the road - a lot. To maintain 1/1.5m space at all times means drivers would often have to swerve into oncoming traffic. Nobody is going to really obey this rule IMO. Cyclists should have the responsibility to keep 1M from cars, but they don't ever seem to obey any of the other rules so it simply isn't going to make a lick of difference regardless of if you are the car or the bike. I'm sure there are some responsible cyclists out there but I can't even remember the last time I saw one that wasn't riding like a dick. There are tons of bad drivers too, but the car is going to 'win' every time, so IMO cyclists should be the ones watching out for themselves much like pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Cyclists move around on the road - a lot. To maintain 1/1.5m space at all times means drivers would often have to swerve into oncoming traffic. Nobody is going to really obey this rule IMO. Cyclists should have the responsibility to keep 1M from cars, but they don't ever seem to obey any of the other rules so it simply isn't going to make a lick of difference regardless of if you are the car or the bike. I'm sure there are some responsible cyclists out there but I can't even remember the last time I saw one that wasn't riding like a dick. There are tons of bad drivers too, but the car is going to 'win' every time, so IMO cyclists should be the ones watching out for themselves much like pedestrians.
    The point is not for cars to swerve out of the way when a mail courier is squeezing between cars stuck in traffic. This is meant to give a little more space when there's a cyclist riding on the shoulder. If a cyclist is swerving all over the road then there's no rule or regulation that cures being dumb.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

So are cyclists going to give cars the 1.5M of space as well? They'll squeeze inches on the right side and curb to get to the front... to slow everyone down again.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    The point is not for cars to swerve out of the way when a mail courier is squeezing between cars stuck in traffic. This is meant to give a little more space when there's a cyclist riding on the shoulder. If a cyclist is swerving all over the road then there's no rule or regulation that cures being dumb.
    What happens most often, in my experience anyway, is they are riding on the shoulder but they can't ever seem to ride in a straight line, so as they move about side-to-side, cars get scared of them and either slow right down (blocking everyone behind them) or make a dangerous pass. What you end up with is a giant hazard slowing down dozens of cars. It's made worse if cars are also parked on the same street. It's really bad on Elbow leaving the DT core. When I go that way, without fail there is a cyclist adding 10 minutes to everyone's commute.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Also as a former cycle commuter, 50kph roads like Centre Street coming into downtown south of 7th Avenue north should be a no go for cyclists because of how narrow it is and the volume of traffic it carries especially during the rush.
    Agreed - its just safer to find other alternatives. I would rather ride slow on the pathways with peds, than risk it with vehicles. All it takes is one person on their phone and its game over... or ride illegally on the sidewalk (slowly).

The entitled cyclists though - holy cow. The whole world has to stop for them.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast