Quantcast
1m buffer around bicycles on roadways - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 1m buffer around bicycles on roadways

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think most people just need to relax a lot more when they're behind a wheel. When i'm biking, i'm doing it the best way I can to not fuck with anyone, in hopes that they don't fuck with my day (as i'd royally lose in that case). At the end of the day, i'm just trying to get home as well and doing it a different way. Not sure why people go out of their way to affect someone else, like blaring a horn passing a single cyclist who is as far over in the shoulder as possible, with no impact to them at all..
    You sound courteous, but most cyclists aren't, and do not obey the rules or common courtesy. I'm guessing many of the aggressive drivers (as mentioned there are tons of bad/discourteous drivers too) are responding negatively to behavior like filtering which is probably the most common major annoyance cyclists regularly bestow on motorists. Or a cyclist not leaving enough room to pass them on a 1-lane road, creating a massive traffic jam behind them - that gets people angry pretty quick I would think.

If you're hoking or otherwise being a dick to a cyclist who is following the rules and not impeding traffic, well then yeah that driver is just an ass.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You sound courteous, but most cyclists aren't, and do not obey the rules or common courtesy. I'm guessing many of the aggressive drivers (as mentioned there are tons of bad/discourteous drivers too) are responding negatively to behavior like filtering which is probably the most common major annoyance cyclists regularly bestow on motorists. Or a cyclist not leaving enough room to pass them on a 1-lane road, creating a massive traffic jam behind them - that gets people angry pretty quick I would think.
    Filtering might be slightly annoying, but it would be far more annoying if we all took the lane entirely, as allowed. People need to stop thinking that an advantage that one takes actually negatively impacts them, just cause they can't follow the same rule, its likely really not adding more then a bit of time to their day. Idaho stops for example, speed up everyone's day, but because its not 'allowed' for everyone else then of course how dare they.. Cyclists could make everything WAY worse then it currently is, if we chose to make a point of it.

I'll note that i filter at certain intersections, just do i don't get hit by someone turning right when i am going straight and need to move over to a through lane.

My Ride
    Silverado

having to pass the same retard on a bicycle 5 times because he thinks filtering is his right is pretty much the worst thing.

Also note how the minimum distance is only required when the car is moving. Bicycles are free to be as close as they want to stopped traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Also note how the minimum distance is only required when the car is moving. Bicycles are free to be as close as they want to stopped traffic.
    If that cyclist isn't careful they might kill that stationary car!

My Ride
    Silverado

... Idaho stops for example, speed up everyone's day, but because its not 'allowed' for everyone else then of course how dare they...
    Didn't speed up this poor chaps day.

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    If that cyclist isn't careful they might kill that stationary car!
    I was referring to filtering.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Didn't speed up this poor chaps day.
    An Idaho stop still requires you to yield when necessary, such as pedestrian crossing.. I’m sure I can find evidence of people being killed at yield signs as well..

One google search later
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...walk-1.3295172

DWO, amirite?

My Ride
    Silverado

An Idaho stop still requires you to yield when necessary, such as pedestrian crossing.. I’m sure I can find evidence of people being killed at yield signs as well..

One google search later
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...walk-1.3295172
    The difference is you don't see cars pushing for rolling stops.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Buddy's just trolling (at least I hope he is...) he's citing an instance where a cyclist blew through a red light which is irrelevant to an Idaho stop.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Silverado

How is it irrelevant? Bicycles want to not stop at stop signs under the premise that easier for them and no more dangerous for the public. Here is a recent and relevant comparison showing that it is dangerous for bicycles not to follow traffic mechanisms.

My Ride
    Hybrid

If you're hoking or otherwise being a dick to a cyclist who is following the rules and not impeding traffic, well then yeah that driver is just an ass.
    Here's a 1 lane road.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  55.7 KB

Light turns red. Should the cyclists
    a) ride single file with cars creating a "massive traffic jam" - thereby pissing you off? or
    b) ride up to the lights alongside the cars, filtering up to the front - thereby pissing you off?
    No wonder every cyclist is an asshole in your mind, there's no way to win.

Can't see how that's filtering on a one lane road.

My Ride
    Hybrid

How is it irrelevant? Bicycles want to not stop at stop signs under the premise that easier for them and no more dangerous for the public. Here is a recent and relevant comparison showing that it is dangerous for bicycles not to follow traffic mechanisms.
    The cyclist broke the law. Even if Idaho stops were allowed/implemented, running a red light is still against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Here's a 1 lane road.

Light turns red. Should the cyclists
    a) ride single file with cars creating a "massive traffic jam" - thereby pissing you off? or
    b) ride up to the lights alongside the cars, filtering up to the front - thereby pissing you off?
    No wonder every cyclist is an asshole in your mind, there's no way to win.
    On that enormous 1 lane road that could easily be 2 lanes both ways, if the cyclist is off to the side, there would never be an issue. Or they could use the bike lane routes, but most cyclists avoid those because they are less convenient.

I would have absolutely no issue with a cyclist sharing that road with me if they were riding in a courteous manner, they would not affect traffic at all. I am not sure what point you're trying to make.

My Ride
    Hybrid

On that enormous 1 lane road that could easily be 2 lanes both ways, if the cyclist is off to the side, there would never be an issue. Or they could use the bike lane routes, but most cyclists avoid those because they are less convenient.

I would have absolutely no issue with a cyclist sharing that road with me if they were riding in a courteous manner, they would not affect traffic at all. I am not sure what point you're trying to make.
    As enormous as that road is, there wouldn't be 1m passing clearance unless the cyclist is in the parking lane. And despite best efforts to use bike lanes, there aren't bike lanes leading up to every office building downtown.

The point is that either scenario - riding up alongside cars stopped at a red light causing you to pass me again or staying in one's position within the queue of cars would be perceived as a negative behavior to you.
    Last edited by Strider; 08-28-2019 at 04:40 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

You realize that Idaho stop just means treat a stop as a yield, not as a nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    The point is that either scenario - riding up alongside cars stopped at a red light causing you to pass me again or staying in one's position within the queue of cars would be perceived as a negative behavior to you.
    Seriously, if a cyclist pulled up to the front alongside the curb, that would upset you?

What if the cyclist was a really hot blonde chick with huge tits wearing a low cut top?

The difference is you don't see cars pushing for rolling stops.
    The 'change stop signs to yield signs' movement isn't big, but it's out there. Similarly the greater adoption of roundabouts in lieu of stop signs.

I'm curious, when I used to cycle commute to the NE along 32nd Avenue NE east of 12th Street I would always use the sidewalk on one side or the other and I figured that if a CPS officer stopped me that I would explain to him that I felt safer on the sidewalk than on the actual roadway. As well, I would not be impeding traffic in any way by being on the sidewalk.

So what would the other cycle commuters and cycle enthusiasts do in that scenario - ride on the roadway or on the sidewalk? Please note that the chances of coming upon a pedestrian using either sidewalk was very, very slim and if I did encounter one I would just move over and ride in the grass.
    Will fuck off, again.

Sidewalk riders are the worst.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast