Quantcast
1m buffer around bicycles on roadways - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 1m buffer around bicycles on roadways

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sidewalk riders are the worst.
    So you're saying ride on 32nd putting myself in danger and pissing off motorists at the same time?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    So you're saying ride on 32nd putting myself in danger and pissing off motorists at the same time?
    There’s always been a lot of on and off road bike paths not on the main roads that are much safer and connects pretty much the whole city without having to ride near main roads. We used to ride from whitehorn to woodbine as kids that way.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Here's a 1 lane road.
    *Snip*

Light turns red. Should the cyclists
    a) ride single file with cars creating a "massive traffic jam" - thereby pissing you off? or
    b) ride up to the lights alongside the cars, filtering up to the front - thereby pissing you off?
    No wonder every cyclist is an asshole in your mind, there's no way to win.
    I mean, if they filter to the front, they're still causing the "massive traffic jam". Why should a cyclist get to filter, but not a motorbike, which can pass traffic and easily stay ahead of it? Which is also plated, insured, and the rider tested to ensure they know all the laws?

But really, they should be off to the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    As enormous as that road is, there wouldn't be 1m passing clearance unless the cyclist is in the parking lane. And despite best efforts to use bike lanes, there aren't bike lanes leading up to every office building downtown.

The point is that either scenario - riding up alongside cars stopped at a red light causing you to pass me again or staying in one's position within the queue of cars would be perceived as a negative behavior to you.
    I think you're misunderstanding my frustrations if you think that would bother me. A cyclist riding next to me is not blocking me at all, and therefore I couldn't care less what they're doing. As long as I can pass them it doesn't affect me.

If there is a scenario where a cyclist is going to be blocking a bunch of cars, they should let the cars go first out of courtesy, then continue on after them. Especially if the road is a hill, meaning the cyclist is going to be going extremely slow. Also, on a road bike it's super easy to get up to ~40Km/h or so on a flat-ish road, and that isn't too disruptive in a 50 zone if it isn't for a long period. The people doing 5km/h down a major road on their cruiser blocking dozens of cars, or slogging up a hill in the middle of the lane, I do have a problem with that and I see it almost every single day in riding season.

Most often what I notice though is just blatant disregard for any rules, to the detriment of everyone around them pedestrians and motorists alike. The vast majority of cyclists I see move from the sidewalk to the road to wherever else they want to go with zero regard for any of the rules or the people around them.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-29-2019 at 09:23 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Most often what I notice though is just blatant disregard for any rules, to the detriment of everyone around them pedestrians and motorists alike. The vast majority of cyclists I see move from the sidewalk to the road to wherever else they want to go with zero regard for any of the rules or the people around them.
    Next time this drives you nuts, just take it as more of a thought that these people are just trying to not get hit by cars and probably had a close call. Is it actually a detriment to you in anyway? If it adds 10 seconds to your commute, will you actually notice it by the time you're home? Wife had a good point to me this morning when i was bitching about an accident on deerfoot making me late.. i could have been one of the ones in the accident, then i'd really have something to complain about.

For example, this spot used to be on my commute:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.98806...7i13312!8i6656

Even though it is a designated 'shared use' lane, i almost always used the sidewalk as people would look left onto heritage, and start to drift into the right hand side and force you into the curb. Or turn right into you as you were going straight. My friend almost got squished by someone doing that here, so i took the path instead. Fuck it, my life is more important then 'following the rules', when people behind the wheel are being dumb. On the other side of heritage, it becomes 60 km/hr with no shoulder at all, so i took the path to make my life safer and drivers day easier, but im sure people were still annoyed that i dared to ride on a path.

How about here:
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.99109...7i13312!8i6656

Designated shared lane. I was first at light, bus pulled up beside me, passed me then flew into the curb to get to the bus stop, and was about 12" from squishing me on the curb. Had i just taken the entire lane, i would have been fine.

Temporary annoyance vs survival..i know which i'll choose.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 08-29-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Next time this drives you nuts, just take it as more of a thought that these people are just trying to not get hit by cars and probably had a close call. Is it actually a detriment to you in anyway? If it adds 10 seconds to your commute, will you actually notice it by the time you're home? Wife had a good point to me this morning when i was bitching about an accident on deerfoot making me late.. i could have been one of the ones in the accident, then i'd really have something to complain about.

For example, this spot used to be on my commute:

Even though it is a designated 'shared use' lane, i almost always used the sidewalk as people would look left onto heritage, and start to drift into the right hand side and force you into the curb. Or turn right into you as you were going straight. My friend almost got squished by someone doing that here, so i took the path instead. Fuck it, my life is more important then 'following the rules', when people behind the wheel are being dumb. On the other side of heritage, it becomes 60 km/hr with no shoulder at all, so i took the path to make my life safer and drivers day easier, but im sure people were still annoyed that i dared to ride on a path.

How about here:
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.99109...7i13312!8i6656

Designated shared lane. I was first at light, bus pulled up beside me, passed me then flew into the curb to get to the bus stop, and was about 12" from squishing me on the curb. Had i just taken the entire lane, i would have been fine.

Temporary annoyance vs survival..i know which i'll choose.
    That is the problem though - regardless of your reasons, you aren't following the rules and it makes everyone else's life miserable around you. If you are unable to safely commute somewhere and do so within the rules, maybe you shouldn't be biking there or you should change your route. If your preferred route can't be ridden safely and legally, that shouldn't be your route.

Imagine if the majority drivers did whatever was convenient rather than following the rules. When I am stuck in a giant traffic jam on Crowchild North headed into DT every morning, I could easily shave 10+ min off my commute by ripping down the bus lane, which would affect absolutely nobody (if a bus wasn't there). I don't do that though because it's a dick move and I can also get a ticket. What bothers me is the entitlement cyclists seem to have to only obey the rules they feel like, and who cares how it affects anyone else. Using bus lanes where available would be safer for me too, but you don't see me using them just to lessen the chances of someone possibly rear-ending me in the traditional lanes or to speed up my commute. Drivers don't get to choose what type of vehicle class they are on a whim, and it bothers me when cyclists do exactly that without a care in the world of all the other people they are affecting.

There's always drivers going down that bus lane.

But I say that all drivers should do that. LANES FOR CARS, NOT BUSES!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    That is the problem though - regardless of your reasons, you aren't following the rules and it makes everyone else's life miserable around you. If you are unable to safely commute somewhere and do so within the rules, maybe you shouldn't be biking there or you should change your route. If your preferred route can't be ridden safely and legally, that shouldn't be your route.
    Again, how does this make anyone's life miserable other then just looking for something to winge about? By taking the sidewalk in that spot, i am making everyones life easier. That is a preferred bike lane, but drivers acting illegally put bikers life at risk, not the other way around.. Yet this makes you miserable.. You should try riding a bike, the endorphins will make you happier..
    Be clear, you dont want cyclists, because if they rode truly legally, then you'd be truly miserable..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQBa-zcjtU0

A guy ripped around the deerfoot collision this morning in the shoulder. Really, didnt affect me, dick move, but doesnt mean i am going to be mad about it. You're also forgetting that 'rear ending' has a pretty different consequence to a bike vs car..
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 08-29-2019 at 11:05 AM.

No one bikes or walks in that area anyhow.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    No one bikes or walks in that area anyhow.
    ... which area

Again, how does this make anyone's life miserable other then just looking for something to winge about? By taking the sidewalk in that spot, i am making everyones life easier. That is a preferred bike lane, but drivers acting illegally put bikers life at risk, not the other way around.. Yet this makes you miserable.. You should try riding a bike, the endorphins will make you happier..
    Be clear, you dont want cyclists, because if they rode truly legally, then you'd be truly miserable..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQBa-zcjtU0

A guy ripped around the deerfoot collision this morning in the shoulder. Really, didnt affect me, dick move, but doesnt mean i am going to be mad about it. You're also forgetting that 'rear ending' has a pretty different consequence to a bike vs car..
    If you're on the sidewalk and a pedestrian is there that has to move or stop for you because you're riding there illegally, that is an issue and also dangerous because they aren't expecting that IMHO. I've literally been hit by bikes on sidewalks before along 9th ave and some other places that bikes aren't allowed to be riding. If there were no pedestrians, you could argue that wasn't an issue, but then I would argue I should be able to use bus lanes when no buses are present, or drive at whatever speed I want when there is no traffic, and run red lights when no cars are around. I'd be making everyone's life easier by removing myself from the traffic congestion in every other lane. Again it comes down to entitlement and ignoring the laws and instead deciding what rules apply to you on a whim. That is the part I take issue with.

... which area

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Why would pissing off motorists be an issue? They're pissed off regardless of whether you're there or not.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If it adds 10 seconds to your commute
    I’ve always hated this 10 seconds argument. Sure it might be 10 seconds at that one snippet of time, but that 10 seconds makes you miss a light change, maybe 2 in a single intersection on a signaled left turn. All of a sudden that’s 5 minutes of time. Now couple that with inner city driving where it’s all stop and go, and several encounters adds up to 20 minutes.

So yea, it’s fucking frustrating.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I’ve always hated this 10 seconds argument. Sure it might be 10 seconds at that one snippet of time, but that 10 seconds makes you miss a light change, maybe 2 in a single intersection on a signaled left turn. All of a sudden that’s 5 minutes of time. Now couple that with inner city driving where it’s all stop and go, and several encounters adds up to 20 minutes.

This
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Just wait till the city implements the 30km/h speed limits... if you can’t do that on the very flat DT roads on a bike, you should give up and just ride a lime scooter on the sidewalks

My Ride
    '14 Taco

.. sounds like a bike could be more efficient?

I always argue the exact same thing anytime it comes up. Any time you are forced to slow down even slightly, it can easily double your driving time depending on lights. Some intersections with 4-6 right of way combinations are easily a 4-5 minute wait. Hit a few of those on a 15 minute drive, and all of a sudden you have fully doubled your driving time. Also Calgary doesn't time any of their lights properly, so if you aren't doing 10-15km/h over the limit, you will repeatedly get caught by lights on roads with lots of them like McLeod trail or 6th ave downtown, for example. Speeding just slightly can take huge time off your commute just by hitting the lights.

I used to live on 12th ave downtown and I moved largely due to the bike lane that brought 12th ave from 4 lanes down to 1 lane - it was a nightmare to go anywhere. My 5 minute drive to the gym became 15 minutes+, and if there was a flames game I didn't even bother leaving the house lol.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-29-2019 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Way more efficient, mostly because cyclists don’t care about stopping at lights anyways
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Considering I used to bike to work daily from Arbour Lake, it's not. Look, I've been on both sides of the fence, so I get it. The rules for cyclists aren't terrible, and you can follow the rules and commute safely especially if you plan your routes ahead of time. Justifying why you breaking the rules is ok is just self importance bullshit that causes these conflicts in the first place. Your time is no more important than my time, and vice versa.

There weren't any bike lanes when I rode through downtown to work. I swear I was the only cyclist out there not to filter up at every light, lining up in the right lane with the cars. Pass me once, that's all you need to do, and I make sure there's as much room as possible because at the end of the day, I'm the impediment on the road.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast