Quantcast
Who has an adventure bike? Looking for thoughts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Who has an adventure bike? Looking for thoughts

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Default Who has an adventure bike? Looking for thoughts

It’s about that time I’m considering bike shopping. Next year I’m really hoping to hit up some great rides like the going to the sun road in Montana, and the PCH.

Done the sports bikes and never really liked them... had a few Harley’s and loved them but just not a big fan of them on longer rides... and getting a street glide or a road glide seems out of the question mainly due to $$ and they are almost the size of a car.

So I’ve been highly considering an adventure bike for daily work commuting, road trips, and practicality. Something with the ability to be able to load up with hard cases, heated grips, comfort, and size (want something higher off the ground and something to support my 6’1 240lb frame)

The bikes I’m currently considering:

Triumph Tiger 1200 (need to do a little research on the 2 different models offered)
    Suzuki Vstrom 1000 (seems to be the most cost effective bike in its range)
    Honda Africa Twin (nice bike but kind of a bummer how dinky it looks with the large yet narrow front tire)

What adventure style bike are you running? Looking for some insight to see people’s opinions on the brands mentioned above and whatever you guys are running as well

My Ride
    is broken

Do you want any offroad ability?

Dad just bought a KTM 1920 Adventure R and its amazing. Versatile on and off road.

The new KTM 790 Adventure has my eye right now.

Went though this earlier in the year, same as you I gave up the sport bikes, I still have one Harley but its not a highway friendly bike. I ended up with the Africa Twin, and love it. Very stable in the ugly stuff, good power, and you have a choice of the manual or auto box if that's your thing (I rode an auto and its actually pretty nice). The other bike I seriously looked into was a pre owned BMW FG, but having a local dealer for Honda made my choice. One of the guys I ride with has a Vstrom 1000 and loves them, in fact he's had about 6 now. I rode it, but personally the comfort and feel of the Honda are what did it for me, and I have never had an issue with any Honda bike I have owned.

Do you plan on going into much offroad? That is one big thing to consider, the Honda is way more suited to that IMO.
    Last edited by Skrilla; 11-27-2018 at 06:50 AM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I've ridden my buddies FJ-09 a few times, fantastic bike. I'd ideally like to buy it off him when he upgrades, but I'm not sure that's in the cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Do you want any offroad ability?

Dad just bought a KTM 1920 Adventure R and its amazing. Versatile on and off road.

The new KTM 790 Adventure has my eye right now.
    Yup I’d love some off road capability but don’t need too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    Went though this earlier in the year, same as you I gave up the sport bikes, I still have one Harley but its not a highway friendly bike. I ended up with the Africa Twin, and love it. Very stable in the ugly stuff, good power, and you have a choice of the manual or auto box if that's your thing (I rode an auto and its actually pretty nice). The other bike I seriously looked into was a pre owned BMW FG, but having a local dealer for Honda made my choice. One of the guys I ride with has a Vstrom 1000 and loves them, in fact he's had about 6 now. I rode it, but personally the comfort and feel of the Honda are what did it for me, and I have never had an issue with any Honda bike I have owned.

Do you plan on going into much offroad? That is one big thing to consider, the Honda is way more suited to that IMO.
    Thanks for the reply! Good to see somebody else juggled this before haha. I really do like the Africa twin... it looks super sharp with all the added goodies on it. I don’t know if I’d ever do the auto box but I’d be willing to give it a try. Could be nice for off road and on highway.

Went and looked at the vstrom1000 yesterday and it’s a pretty nice bike! Lots of goodies to add to it...and the price point on them is actually cheaper than any of the other ones which is kind of nice. Plus I hear pretty good things from the CPS members who ride them.

Again, I want to say I’d do a lot of off road but likely I won’t. But I would like the ability to be able to go off road if I needed to that’s for sure.

My Ride
    V8s

Is there a reason you aren't considering the BMW R1200 GS? My uncle's got one and has spent tons of time in the saddle. Great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    Yup I’d love some off road capability but don’t need too much.

Thanks for the reply! Good to see somebody else juggled this before haha. I really do like the Africa twin... it looks super sharp with all the added goodies on it. I don’t know if I’d ever do the auto box but I’d be willing to give it a try. Could be nice for off road and on highway.

Went and looked at the vstrom1000 yesterday and it’s a pretty nice bike! Lots of goodies to add to it...and the price point on them is actually cheaper than any of the other ones which is kind of nice. Plus I hear pretty good things from the CPS members who ride them.

Again, I want to say I’d do a lot of off road but likely I won’t. But I would like the ability to be able to go off road if I needed to that’s for sure.
    Haha I had the same thought, but glad I went this way. I've been in some ugly shit with it, and its a trooper. Obviously a lot heavier than a true off road dirtbike, but nothing I have come across has slowed it down. The auto was fun to ride, and I could have gotten one for a steal, but just decided to stick with the manual. I think either way you will have a ton of fun with an ADV bike.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Is there a reason you aren't considering the BMW R1200 GS? My uncle's got one and has spent tons of time in the saddle. Great bike.
    Honestly, mainly price point.

By the time you outfit it with all the stuff that makes an adventure bike, you’re probably pushing 30k

My Ride
    V8s

Honestly, mainly price point.

By the time you outfit it with all the stuff that makes an adventure bike, you’re probably pushing 30k
    That's accurate.

Within the suggestions that you've gotten already, I'd definitely look closely at the Honda (despite the goofy front tire).

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    That's accurate.

Within the suggestions that you've gotten already, I'd definitely look closely at the Honda (despite the goofy front tire).
    As far as price goes... with a Vstrom1000 pretty decked out, I could probably have it out the door for 17500-18k all in. That’s with their 5 year warranty.

Going to have to shop a little for the Honda because I think the starting price point is around 15k. Probably push 20k with gear on it likely. I’m really looking forward to January’s bike show. First time I’ll actually be going with the thought of legit looking at something.

Alternatively... the triumph scrambler 1200 that’s coming out looks like a rather neat bike too.

As far as price goes... with a Vstrom1000 pretty decked out, I could probably have it out the door for 17500-18k all in. That’s with their 5 year warranty.

Going to have to shop a little for the Honda because I think the starting price point is around 15k. Probably push 20k with gear on it likely. I’m really looking forward to January’s bike show. First time I’ll actually be going with the thought of legit looking at something.

Alternatively... the triumph scrambler 1200 that’s coming out looks like a rather neat bike too.
    where are you getting your accessories from? I use Fortnine for almost everything. When I did my setup I saved $2800 over the dealer, came with free 2 day shipping and prices are CAD. Just a thought, they may not have everything, but worth a look if you don't already use them.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    where are you getting your accessories from? I use Fortnine for almost everything. When I did my setup I saved $2800 over the dealer, came with free 2 day shipping and prices are CAD. Just a thought, they may not have everything, but worth a look if you don't already use them.
    Honestly I was hoping to save any hassle by getting it outfitted at the dealer. I’ll sctually have to take a look at this site you mention!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

That 790 ktm adventure sure looks tempting! Can’t seem to find it on the local dealer sites, but with how aggressively the 1090 is priced it looks like it will be a great bargain... just makes it harder for me to choose between that and the duke version