Quantcast
Panama - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Panama

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Panama

Going there for a week over the Christmas breaks. Any suggestions on what to do, must visits and suggested stops or places to avoid?

We will be staying at the Playa Bonita beach side. Of course, the Panama Canal is a no brainer but I don't have any ideas other than that.

Cheers

My Ride
    This and that.

No one has ever been there? That can't be right. There are so many well-travelled people on here.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That thread about the Maldives had lots of firsthand accounts. Crazy that nobody has been to Panama.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

I am considering moving there as a 6 month there and back to Canada retirement plan. David peaks my interest
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Panama cruise is on my bucket list. It's something I'll have to do without the kids, as I'll be sitting on the balcony for an entire day watching the ship traverse the engineering marvel that is the Panama Canal.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Panama cruise is on my bucket list. It's something I'll have to do without the kids, as I'll be sitting on the balcony for an entire day watching the ship traverse the engineering marvel that is the Panama Canal.
    that would be awesome. My inner geek would show.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Old guys geek trip? I'm in.
    We can play this song on repeat too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    No one has ever been there? That can't be right. There are so many well-travelled people on here.
    I have been to Panama a couple of times. The Panama Canal is super cool but it lost its novelty to me over a few hours. It is absolutely incredible what happens and how massive it was along with the history...but after a few hours it is all the same. Pretty cool to see Panamax ships (maximum size of most ships due to the ability to pass through the canal).

Panama City is a bit sleepy as it is filled with businesses like any other big city. Lots of US expats/retirees down there due to the USD.

Hidden Gem: Bocas Del Toro. The best way I can describe it is poverty Hawaii. Great surfing and diving if that is your thing. It is super relaxed and there are some amazing things to see. You can rent a house on stilts for almost nothing and take a boat taxi to wherever you want for $1.

My Ride
    This and that.

Thanks for the tips guys, I am certainly excited to see the Canal and the engineering marvel that it is. If there are day or few hour river cruises available over it as an excursion sort of thing, then we will definitely be looking into that.

So USD is the currency to have there then?

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    So USD is the currency to have there then?
    Indeed! Try to collect as few Balboa's as possible. They are technically worth 1:1 with the USD but are worthless once you return home.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post
    Indeed! Try to collect as few Balboa's as possible. They are technically worth 1:1 with the USD but are worthless once you return home.
    Thanks for the tip! And that's also where the Balboa's will be going if I end up with any.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

I was only in Panama City for 2 nights in June 2014. Visited the Miraflores Locks and saw a vessel called Csav Brasilia heading through the canal. There's a nice viewing area there along with a multi storey museum that gave me enough to do for a few hours one afternoon. There was construction going on at the time to expand the canal and I think the work has since been completed.

I walked around the old town a bit, but it wasn't any more interesting than other colonial style old towns I've seen in central/south america. I searched for some nightlife and really didn't find any. Panama was pleasant, but I personally enjoyed my time in Panama's neighbours (Costa Rica and Colombia) more.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I was in Panama City (and area) for work back in 2010. I worked out of the private airport close to the canal and flew over it every day in a helicopter so it lost its appeal pretty quick. Its just a silty piece of water with a line of ships.

The downtown roof top club (with pool and lounge) in the city was crazy - we were treated like rock stars even though I walked in with fucking Costco cargo pants and a tshirt (everyone else had suits and ties) - it was because we were white. So if you are non-white, you can expect to get treated differently. My coworker was white but fluent in Spanish so he knew what was up pretty quick as some people thought speaking spanish was a way to say things without us knowing.

The girls from Colombia though - holy shit they were hot AND nice. Love the accent too (Colombians often go to Panama to party).

The cabs were 3$ - but the doors almost fell off one we had ,.,,,, dont take the noisy buses as they are, noisy and smoky.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-06-2018 at 11:20 AM.