Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 36 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

11 5.67%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

13 6.70%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

11 5.67%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

97 50.00%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

21 10.82%
  • We're all fucked

42 21.65%
  • Other

4 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh yeah definitely they come with severance packages. They even created a tool where you can ask for an estimate of your payout with no strings attached.

Most of the people who are close to retirement would have DB pensions so hard to imagine a scenario where they give that up voluntarily. I know i wouldn't.

Personally I see 5-15 year people being more interested in this especially if they think they can find a job quickly or have another job lined up.
    Shell
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ I don’t feel like his employer has ever been a secret, but maybe not a great idea to call him out on it by name on the internet. Very little good can come of that.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    ^ I don’t feel like his employer has ever been a secret, but maybe not a great idea to call him out on it by name on the internet. Very little good can come of that.
    My friend said that they were also doing forced layoffs for the North America unconventional group (a 40% cut) and he was waiting to hear if his wife would be let go from that same company.

My Ride
    *The First*

Jesus... I've been wasting my time being thankful that we're not a low-medium income pair in food service and tourism or something that got the double whammy.
    But that sure doesn't mean we are out of the woods!

More temp childcare quit, today... Handy. Where's the nuke the China govt button?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    My friend said that they were also doing forced layoffs for the North America unconventional group (a 40% cut) and he was waiting to hear if his wife would be let go from that same company.
    Yikes...
    I know someone who just joined in March and going on mat leave soon...

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Anyone else tired of the constant roller coaster ride?

I am still employed (same company for 10 years), but I swear there are days I feel like quitting, switching industries altogether and moving away...

Layoff started on Monday and they have been rolling through the week in waves. I assume tomorrow will be the last day of layoffs but who knows maybe it will continue into Friday... So far I've dodged the bullet but realistically given my field of work getting a layoff package might be better than staying employed.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by mrsingh View Post

I am still employed (same company for 10 years), but I swear there are days I feel like quitting, switching industries altogether and moving away...
    Unsure how many industries outside of oil and oil adjacent are paying over six figures though. Alot of my friends all in industries that are not oil are making less than 80k

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Were it so easy
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you can switch industries and get a professional position you enjoy, go for it! Even a 20-30% pay cut is not that bad if you think you have stability and upward mobility.
    I found that it was very difficult, you may have more success.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

It sucks, but at the same time it's well known that the economy is going to have booms and busts. If you choose an occupation that is affected by that (as many have done including myself), then on some level you have to expect it and be OK with it. This situation is a little different, especially for small businesses and restaurants, but the businesses that will survive will be the ones that can adapt and differentiate. There are lots of bored people with money right now, so businesses just have to get creative. Restaurants switching to takeout/delivery, care providers offering online options, etc. are all good examples of that. Some restaurants are so busy with takeout now that they stop taking orders after a certain time of day - the good ones will always survive and their loyal customer base will help them out. Some of the bad ones won't and good riddance. The businesses that are lazy or were just coasting by up until this point will have a much harder time staying afloat. The ones that offer good product with a loyal customer base will probably come out of this just fine.

Some businesses are kind of screwed with no real way to differentiate, such as hair salons. I feel bad for those ones and hope they get bailed out.

I've been in O&G for ~15 years now and while I've been fortunate enough to have no gaps in my employment, I have worked for 5 different companies (more if you count name changes/mergers). It's not my dream job and I don't love the uncertainty, but not too many jobs pay as well (in Calgary) or have the same perks, which at the end of the day is what allows me to do the things I really enjoy like travel. I've always told people that to be in O&G you need to be able to stomach change and be able to adapt. I'm a lifer for sure, unless something major and unexpected happens. For me to switch industries into something with similar pay would likely mean a minimum of 4 more years of school + several more years of experience building.

One of the best jobs right now (or in any downturn) is probably healthcare. Nurses for example can make 6 figures pretty easily almost right out of school, and there are often quite a few jobs available in many different areas. Find something that people always need, and if you work there you will probably have the maximum job security. High pay + job security is pretty rare though IMO, so I think most people choose the former haha.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Booms and busts in Alberta is part of life but the last ~10 years haven't really been normal. It's been smaller cycles with a very downward trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    One of the best jobs right now (or in any downturn) is probably healthcare. Nurses for example can make 6 figures pretty easily almost right out of school, and there are often quite a few jobs available in many different areas.
    Actually physician morale is horrendeously low and can be attributed 100% to us being in this economic climate. Moreover, you're making it seem way easier to make a lot of money and actually have a full-time nursing job than I've ever heard of.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Oh yeah definitely they come with severance packages. They even created a tool where you can ask for an estimate of your payout with no strings attached.

Most of the people who are close to retirement would have DB pensions so hard to imagine a scenario where they give that up voluntarily. I know i wouldn't.

Personally I see 5-15 year people being more interested in this especially if they think they can find a job quickly or have another job lined up.

It's been 14 years now and I don't know how the mgmt is like there now. But if you are within 2-3 years of getting your DB, they were willing to bridge you to collect and go away to avoid lawsuits.

The last 14 years had shed so many people and hiring was so lean in the 90s that I doubt many left today is anywhere close to this bridging range.

But that's one of the sweetest DB plan I have ever seen. People will quit the minute they hit it, nobody stays a minute longer.

Being in tech is also no fun in Calgary. But being out of O&G for a decade+ definitely a lot less rough than what I see around me from colleagues of the past.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-14-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Booms and busts in Alberta is part of life but the last ~10 years haven't really been normal. It's been smaller cycles with a very downward trajectory.

Actually physician morale is horrendeously low and can be attributed 100% to us being in this economic climate. Moreover, you're making it seem way easier to make a lot of money and actually have a full-time nursing job than I've ever heard of.
    I can only speak for the nurses and few doctors I know, that's where I get all my info from. Everyone seems pretty happy and I don't know any that have trouble getting full time hours (or more if they want). I'm sure it's not the same for everyone but the ones I know are enjoying the current situation because for once, people are only coming in with actual emergencies so wait times have been at all time lows. My GF had a few of her shifts canceled at one hospital, so she just picked some up at a different hospital and now she gets a bunch of texts every day asking for more people to come in to work. Her and her nursing friends are having no problems maintaining full time hours and this is the least stressed I've seen her in years - I think because she is spreading out the work between different areas rather than always going to the same one.

All I was saying was that their job security and pay are both quite good relative to most other jobs, provided you enjoy the work.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-14-2020 at 10:38 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Her and her nursing friends are having no problems maintaining full time hours and this is the least stressed I've seen her in years - I think because she is spreading out the work between different areas rather than always going to the same one.
    Isn't that not kosher given how things spread? Like we are bitching at old folk home caretakers for doing the same thing.

One of the best jobs right now (or in any downturn) is probably healthcare. Nurses for example can make 6 figures pretty easily almost right out of school
    I think you still need a lot of OT to hit 6 figures if you just got out of school.

But once you are in it for 10 years, 6 figures is pretty standard.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-14-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Isn't that not kosher given how things spread? Like we are bitching at old folk home caretakers for doing the same thing.
    AHS has no problems with it. Originally there was some talk about that being the case but it never happened. Depends on the area, but some of the hospitals have so many hours available they will take anyone they can get. Theoretically it shouldn't matter if they are following proper PPE procedure anyway (which they are actually trained for), but it's probably not that simple.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

It is times like this that I chose a career in Telecoms. I positioned myself in the company that while it could happen, it would be very difficult to lay me off. We did have 2 people layed off a few years back, but they were voluntary. More than anything, I crave the stability in my working life. I don't think I could handle the thoughts that my company could go under tomorrow, or get layed off at the drop of a hat. Even in times like these, I know my job is pretty secure and if shit does hit the fan, I would be one of the last people layed off, and if it gets to that point, the company is probably fucked anyways.

Only downside to this is, my pay is sub-par. While not horrible, I know I could switch companies and probably make 6 figures, but my benefits and perks make up for a lot of that, like for example I haven't paid a nickle for a cell phone in like 8 years...LOL
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Silverado

All I know is during the next boom, I am going to try to pry money out of my employer. I promise not to piss it all away.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    All I know is during the next boom, I am going to try to pry money out of my employer. I promise not to piss it all away.
    I've never seen a boom from this side of the desk...
    During the last boom I was in the field and wouldn't have known one way or the other! Field compensation is pretty steady for our guys.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Getting my first pay cut of my career on Friday, definitely a blow to the ego but kinda to be expected. Ironically also my first O&G job of my career, was hoping it'd be a bit before the next crash but thats how life goes haha

Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast