Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 43 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

11 5.67%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

13 6.70%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

11 5.67%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

97 50.00%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

21 10.82%
  • We're all fucked

42 21.65%
  • Other

4 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd love to know more about where these next jobs are for any O&G employees?
    Even 12 months salary may not be enough to hold you through.
    Well he mentioned IT. I'm seeing a lot of stuff out there depending on which specialty, so likely will be able to find something (although maybe a pay cut if not in O&G).

But yeah Engineering or Subsurface, agreed 12 months might not be enough time to find an equivalent role.

My Ride
    Bicycle

12months still better than 8weeks provincial min.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

I don’t really need to get back into the industry. The IT work I didn’t wasn’t specific to Oil and Gas so I can really look at jobs anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Well he mentioned IT. I'm seeing a lot of stuff out there depending on which specialty, so likely will be able to find something (although maybe a pay cut if not in O&G).

But yeah Engineering or Subsurface, agreed 12 months might not be enough time to find an equivalent role.
    Yep, there are IT jobs out there. I applied to one earlier today. I don’t expect O&G money at my next gig and would most likely be taking a pay cut but I’m ok with that.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    12months still better than 8weeks provincial min.
    12 months + EI after is still better than most things.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

It's going to be hard to feel sorry for someone who doesn't try to adapt in this type of situation. Worst case you work a job that might be less than ideal but still bringing in cash flow.
    But if someone is dead set of getting a similar O&G gig without thinking about pivoting in a new direction, then sucks for you. Not really anyone's problem. There is a lot of people who wish they got 12 months salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    It's going to be hard to feel sorry for someone who doesn't try to adapt in this type of situation. Worst case you work a job that might be less than ideal but still bringing in cash flow.
    But if someone is dead set of getting a similar O&G gig without thinking about pivoting in a new direction, then sucks for you. Not really anyone's problem. There is a lot of people who wish they got 12 months salary.
    The problem is that it can be very difficult for people to step outside of their comfort zones with respect to careers and the training they have. I've personally never had an issue with this but will readily admit it is very daunting to move to a completely new job whether within the same company or not - now a new job that required completely new skill sets is even more challenging.

During my 26.5 year tenure at TELUS, I was in 7 very unique positions of which new skill sets were required in every one. Since than, I've moved around and have worked in 3 very different and totally unrelated industries which all required very unique skill sets that I never had or acquired at TELUS.

Over the years, it became quite apparent to me that the bulk of people do not embrace change well and do not adapt to change well. Thus why those people will soldier on in the same role for decades, it's just easier plus many people just do not care to take on new challenges, voluntary or not.

Myself, I have always relished new challenges and in my current role as a cabinet installer subcontractor, every job pretty much presents new challenges plus I sub to different companies as well who have differing products and procedures. I do not like cookie cutter condo/apartment projects because there really is not no challenge in them - you essentially just come a robot doing the same task over and over again with nothing to challenge the old grey matter.

As far as severance, many people will figure me to be the biggest fool for resigning after 26.5 years and walking away with no compensation but there were 2 major factors that affected this. First, I was a bargaining unit employee map meaning there was no personally signed contract nor any personally negotiated exit package. Second, any worthwhile package for me was still over 7-8 years out and I knew that my mental health and quite possibly my physical health as well would not survive counting the days of those 7-8 years. So a resignation letter and an unscheduled meeting with my supervisor sealed the deal - it was like a huge weight was lifted off of my chest. Since that momentous day, there have certainly been huge ups and downs but over all my health, both mentally and physically, have been much better and I am still alive and kicking which I can not say of many of the people that I left at TELUS. Funny thing is that the happiest and happiest ex-TELUS people I know are pretty much the ones who left the employ of TELUS on their own terms well before their tenure should've lasted.

Looking back, I probably should've worked for myself all along but it is all too easy to slide into a company career and just become part of a machine - it's easy to be looked after and many people like easy.
    Last edited by speedog; 06-19-2020 at 10:52 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    The problem is that it can be very difficult for people to step outside of their comfort zones with respect to careers and the training they have. I've personally never had an issue with this but will readily admit it is very daunting to move to a completely new job whether within the same company or not - now a new job that required completely new skill sets is even more challenging.
    Agreed, it is not an easy feat. But when you are challenged to put food on the table, how deep are you going to dig? Decision is up to you and it's hard to feel sorry for someone who feels they are too good to bag groceries if they had to do it to make ends meet.

My Ride
    changes every year

Alright so I was dead miserable when I worked for TELUS almost 8 years ago. It was crazy hard to make a jump into something I've never really done before and for the last almost 8 years being a welder mostly doing O&G, I see the writing on the wall and its something I'm going to have to look at.

Either im going to have to get into specialty welding somehow or move on to another career. It is daunting to think about, but it may be necessary.

I'm not ready to give up on welding yet, but for how long does a guy wait, right? I'm in a unique situation where I can hold out, but I dont want to do that for too long either.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Agreed, it is not an easy feat. But when you are challenged to put food on the table, how deep are you going to dig? Decision is up to you and it's hard to feel sorry for someone who feels they are too good to bag groceries if they had to do it to make ends meet.
    Curious, is this just a statement for the masses to heed as nice advice or do you know someone that refuses anything but a 100K O&G job while scrapping by to feed their family?

Perhaps I'm looking at this differently but most parents will do just about anything to make sure their kids are fed. So this idea that someone is so unwavering to do anything but the cushiest of jobs while letting their kids eat KD all day every day is laughable and an extreme outlier if it exists at all.

That said, there are many delusional professionals out there. An engineer I know was making 125k/yr after 2 years of real experience post school. Got laid off and waited nearly another 2 years before "settling" for a 90k/yr job despite feeling worth so much more. This is just one of many examples I've heard about and are entirely the younger professionals without a family. Kids change priorities for most people, a luxury younger professionals without kids don't have to consider.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

You are right, it does apply less to "families" as I'm sure they would hopefully do more to support their kids.

But I never mentioned strictly just parents. Young couples, singles, older folk without kids, all need to put food on the table. And yes there are lots out there who rather sit on their ass and play video games or play the victim card instead of doing something less than ideal. A lot of EITs I talk to specifically, but that is just anecdotal crap anyways lol.

Job snobs. We've always told our kids not to be job snobs.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Looking back, I probably should've worked for myself all along but it is all too easy to slide into a company career and just become part of a machine - it's easy to be looked after and many people like easy.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to speedog again.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I worked under CaptainReboot for years as a contractor. It was great. Eventually that ended, and I found another contract for less money. Still O&G, some decent people, but some not so great ones. They asked to extend me, and I turned it down in favor of my own mental health. I couldn't find work within a month, so I walked into Urban X, and worked as a seasonal tire guy for Bob until I found something else. Was the money shitty compared to what I had before? Absolutely. Did I feel better because I wasn't at home doing nothing? Absolutely.

Now I work as an employee, doing DevOps/SRE work outside of O&G. Zero regrets, I never felt like I was too good to do something to get food on the table. Also, working at Urban X was fun as hell, even if the work was physically difficult. I'm also super grateful for Bob and Keny giving me a job after essentially walking in off the street, and being super supportive when I found another job.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Silverado

Some Talisman IT people... The name Schwing mean anything to you?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    I worked under CaptainReboot for years as a contractor. It was great. Eventually that ended, and I found another contract for less money. Still O&G, some decent people, but some not so great ones. They asked to extend me, and I turned it down in favor of my own mental health. I couldn't find work within a month, so I walked into Urban X, and worked as a seasonal tire guy for Bob until I found something else. Was the money shitty compared to what I had before? Absolutely. Did I feel better because I wasn't at home doing nothing? Absolutely.

Now I work as an employee, doing DevOps/SRE work outside of O&G. Zero regrets, I never felt like I was too good to do something to get food on the table. Also, working at Urban X was fun as hell, even if the work was physically difficult. I'm also super grateful for Bob and Keny giving me a job after essentially walking in off the street, and being super supportive when I found another job.
    You've made a powerful admirer, today!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

WestJet has laid off some 9,000 of its 14,000 employees since the COVID-19 pandemic struck
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...s-layoffs.html
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Silverado

Had round 3 on Monday. Down around 25% of staff. All plants on temp layoff which about 30% perm laid off

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    really cant blame them... its surprising not more airlines are folding..sooner.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    really cant blame them... its surprising not more airlines are folding..sooner.
    Almost all national airlines are getting government bailouts. Surprisingly, no direct money from our Fed yet. And sounds like that wage subsidy isn't worth it as expected.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

We have already increased our national debt by 33% in one year with no line of sign to better times.

What corporate welfare do we expect, our country is broke as a joke.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast