Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

5 3.65%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

11 8.03%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

9 6.57%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

65 47.45%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

18 13.14%
  • We're all fucked

31 22.63%
  • Other

3 2.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

My Ride
    '15 X5-35i, '08 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HR will also take into account employee's age and how likely or easily that person could reasonably be expected to find another job. Or at least that's what I have heard.
    Yep. We recently let an executive go, and he came back with a legal letter because he thinks his severance is too small, even those that's all his employment contract covers. We consulted our legal and they talked about how if this ever goes to court, the judge will look at his age, his title, how likely he is to find another job with equivalent pay and title etc...and obviously the younger and higher up that person is, the harder it would be for that person to find an equivalent job.

Long story short, despite having an employment contract outlining his termination severance, we ended up giving him more money to settle...

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Yep. We recently let an executive go, and he came back with a legal letter because he thinks his severance is too small, even those that's all his employment contract covers. We consulted our legal and they talked about how if this ever goes to court, the judge will look at his age, his title, how likely he is to find another job with equivalent pay and title etc...and obviously the younger and higher up that person is, the harder it would be for that person to find an equivalent job.

Long story short, despite having an employment contract outlining his termination severance, we ended up giving him more money to settle...
    So in that case, did he already agree to the severance before he brought the letter?

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    So in that case, did he already agree to the severance before he brought the letter?
    Doubt it. Probably took the severance package to his lawyer and got the letter drawn up.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Doubt it. Probably took the severance package to his lawyer and got the letter drawn up.
    Oh okay. Yeah my wife (who works in HR) has always said that when they offer you a severance, do not take it and tell them you want 24 hours to decide. Which is probably what that exec did.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Oh okay. Yeah my wife (who works in HR) has always said that when they offer you a severance, do not take it and tell them you want 24 hours to decide. Which is probably what that exec did.
    You never sign right away. They can't take back their offer if you take time to seek guidance from a lawyer. Assuming its reasonable time.

My Ride
    '15 X5-35i, '08 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    You never sign right away. They can't take back their offer if you take time to seek guidance from a lawyer. Assuming its reasonable time.
    Yep - That. Wouldn't sign the release and went straight to legal. We got the legal letter within 24 hours.

I guess an interesting bit was since his severance was outlined in the employment agreement, technically we have met all the requirements. If we go to court, the judge usually side with the employee and based on all the stuff I said, he has a decently case. However, he has to show that he has put in reasonable efforts in looking for a job of similar position, and if he actually finds one right away, within the time equilvalent to our severance package, then his case becomes very weak. So it was a gamble on our end... and we decided not to risk it, more so because of the potential legal cost than anything else.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 06-20-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22