Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

11 5.67%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

13 6.70%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

11 5.67%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

97 50.00%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

21 10.82%
  • We're all fucked

42 21.65%
  • Other

4 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Quote Originally Posted by nicknolte View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My company hired 6-7 people from O&G in 2016. All were from major producers. One was fired (poor performance) and three quit after 1-1.5 years to back to oil and gas.

Our hiring managers learned their lesson. Just hired four new people last fall to replace the ones that departed... none of the new hires are from O&G because of the flight risk.
    I'm a former O&G worker who switched industries to find a job to pay the bills. After 1.5 years at my new job I was let go because they said I was overqualified and figured I would jump back to O&G the first chance I had. I was not that mad that I lost the job but the whole experience was very strange.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yes, Banking in Calgary. Providing Banking services to Oil & Gas companies, where their previous experience in Oil & Gas is an asset to the bank. The majority of the lions share of the finance business in this city. That's a very natural transition.

Making a clean break into an entirely new industry? VERY rare.

But hey my anecdotal evidence is as useless as any, in my opinion O&G resumes being blacklisted is far from a fairy tale.
    I switched sectors but played the student angle to do so, that said I have purposely tried to keep my resume diverse with a mix of o&g and stints in education, consulting and now telecom to avoid the stigma. It has definitely put my career at a slower growth rate compared to peers, but I was able to rebound faster from layoffs that those who had a similar background. My background is business/business intelligence focused though, I’d imagine it is much harder for engineers/geo to transition
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Yet it still takes an hour to get into a decent restaurant here. When I can walk into a steak place at 7pm on a saturday and be seated right away, then I'll believe you.
    It's been over a year since I bothered to make a reservation anywhere. We eat at a wide variety of restaurants, mostly on a weekend night, and most places are dead as a doornail. The exception being the bullet train sushi place in Chinatown, it was about 2/3 full on a friday night, the time before we went midweek, there was only us and another table in the place.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    I'm a former O&G worker who switched industries to find a job to pay the bills. After 1.5 years at my new job I was let go because they said I was overqualified and figured I would jump back to O&G the first chance I had. I was not that mad that I lost the job but the whole experience was very strange.
    Isn't that considered wrongful termination?
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    So long as they gave him proper notice/pay in lieu for the termination, they don't need to justify it (and being overqualified isn't protected under the HRC).

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Sounds like they didn't care for him and it wasn't working out. That is the line they fed him on his exit to be nice about the situation. As long as they did things by the book with respect to the layoff, it's all kosher.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    One is suncors big SAGD project. Meadow creek I believe. After that’s complete, a huge 160,000 bbl SAGD (Lewis) will be running 2027.

In the hangingstone area.

The other was an open pit I thought. Sask keeps steam rolling as well.

EDIT: and Aspen oil’s SAGD project.

There is stuff happening. I can see an additional 500,000 barrels in the next 8 years for western Canada.

EDIT 2: TECK partial owner or fort hills is looking a building a quarter million barrel mine also. It would be huge they say, half of the size of Edmonton.
    There are more...Lewis, Aspen, and Meadow (in-situ), Teck Frontier (mine) are already public and well into the regulatory process or approved.
    Last edited by never; 01-12-2019 at 09:32 PM.

My Ride
    Axis powers

The overqualified part I could see being ok but the
    “We’re letting you go because we ‘think’ you might quit and go back to OG” seems questionable
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

That’s great! All we need is pipeline - the biggest challenge.

There’s also a Chinese refinery in the works, 167,000 bbl.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/business...e-oilsands/amp
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    For sure, I am speaking from an O&G perspective where I imagine jobs in Vancouver are almost nonexistent unless you're a native american consultant or something haha.

I've always wondered how much massage therapists keep from the $100/hr or whatever the clinic charges. If it's 50-70% and they are busy 8hr/day that could be some really good money, especially if they work in a spa and not a physio place where they are allowed to accept tips.

I'd actually love to be non-dependent on O&G, but in Calgary anyway I can't think of much else I could do that pays even close to as well. I'd love to own my own business of some kind or be disconnected from uncertainty somehow, but it's too late haha - maybe I should have gone into the medical profession or something if I wanted something that was recession-proof.

Geology jobs are rough right now (you would know better than me though), I know 1 person who has been out of work since 2014/15 pretty much. Same for some engineers. I work in Marketing which is a bit less dependent on company plans/production and even though I have been incredibly fortunate to have never been laid off in my career, I still never feel safe and I never expect to be working at the same company for the rest of my life.
    IIRC they take around half (depends on the clinic and their experience) but they also don't get paid 8 hrs a day. Most places have 15 minute time slots between 1 hour appointments for them to change their sheets, update your chart, and read the next patients chart. So a typical full day is 5-6 clients.

BTW. The comments about how I earn XXX,XXX in Calgary but outside of this city similar jobs are only paying XX,XXX are somewhat amusing. Did some of you ever stop and think that maybe your 6-digit salary in Calgary is wildly out to lunch and not bound to reality? Maybe the job in Vancouver or Regina that is paying 60-70K is in line with the real world. The downturn in Calgary has been a good thing in that it has revealed how incredibly overpaid a lot of people are in this city. The entitlement is strong. Knocking them down a few pegs isn't a bad thing.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Haters gotta hate
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yes, Banking in Calgary. Providing Banking services to Oil & Gas companies, where their previous experience in Oil & Gas is an asset to the bank. The majority of the lions share of the finance business in this city. That's a very natural transition.

Making a clean break into an entirely new industry? VERY rare.

But hey my anecdotal evidence is as useless as any, in my opinion O&G resumes being blacklisted is far from a fairy tale.
    I would say Blacklisting is a pretty strong term, but definite bias' exist. Having left O&G, I have noticed that most people in other industries have a chip on their shoulder as they have had to endure the talk about how great O&G has been between 2002-2014. The common thought is that was money for nothing. Now that the tides are changed, I think people are getting out their frustrations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Banff_Dude View Post
    BTW. The comments about how I earn XXX,XXX in Calgary but outside of this city similar jobs are only paying XX,XXX are somewhat amusing. Did some of you ever stop and think that maybe your 6-digit salary in Calgary is wildly out to lunch and not bound to reality? Maybe the job in Vancouver or Regina that is paying 60-70K is in line with the real world. The downturn in Calgary has been a good thing in that it has revealed how incredibly overpaid a lot of people are in this city. The entitlement is strong. Knocking them down a few pegs isn't a bad thing.

I think in certain circumstances that holds water (ie. your Regina example, I think Sask probably offers the best value for your earnings in Canada in terms of affordability), but Vancouver, no. Even O&G peak wages are not "real world" there. Looking at the data, the salaries in Calgary have not dropped an exponential amount compared to the employment opportunity.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Banff_Dude View Post
    Go back to r/alberta with this crap where it's eaten up in a strong echo chamber.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The obvious comparison would how are O&G professionals (and service workers I suppose) paid elsewhere in the world relative to their equal in that state/province. In other words, if a mining Geo in Argentina is paid XX,XXX while an O&G Geo is paid XXX,XXX, then it's not a weird Alberta entitlement, it's the industry.

The reality is I don't know the answer to that question. Though I can sympathize to some degree. Like water haulers with a basic license to do the job making well over 6 figures and then flying home and collecting EI all summer.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-16-2019 at 01:52 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Can't be reality... how am I supposed to buy an AMG on a xx,xxxx salary?
    Mom and dad? lol.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 01-14-2019 at 08:45 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Mom and dad? lol.
    Isn't that basically the reason any young person can get behind the wheel of a new AMG? That or over-extending themselves.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Isn't that basically the reason any young person can get behind the wheel of a new AMG? That or over-extending themselves.
    Probably.
    I miss the days where Mercedes Canada had the same promotional incentives on the entire class, so it didn't matter if you bought AMG or not it was the same.
    It made it even more attractive for people who could already afford it.

20% wage rollback effective January 16...
    I hate this industry.

Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast