Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

11 5.67%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

13 6.70%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

11 5.67%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

97 50.00%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

21 10.82%
  • We're all fucked

42 21.65%
  • Other

4 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shell bonus was very good this year.
    it's been decent and mostly above average throughout the entire downturn surprisingly, especially when you consider how most of the other companies cut bonuses completely and even reduced salaries. guess they can afford to keep that up having laid off / sold off half of the staff over the years

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

I haven't had a bonus since 2008. Not even a Christmas one!! One manager decided to add our bonuses to our salary one year, and they never changed it since. Of course they cut pay and staff. The only people who get bonuses where I work are upper management.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    depends on the company. where i work the calculation is:

<target bonus based on job level> * <individual performance multiplier> * <overall company-wide business performance multiplier>

For example say the employee had a really good year (outperformed peers quite a bit = 1.4), but company did OK (met targets = 1.0) and their target bonus for their level was 20%. It could be something like:

20% * 1.4 * 1.0 = 28% bonus

Personally I think it's better to look at overall company vs. individual divisions even though it might seem unfair to others.
    20% target ain't too shabby for this kind of climate

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Sounds boring haha
    Haha, but then you spend the same amount in your savings account because YOLO:P
    Just the direct to RRSP thing is a convenient way to do things and avoid taxation (for the time being).
    Sucks when you have a big bonus and a big chunk of that is gone. At least in RRSP, that number stays the same
    Last edited by Disoblige; 03-04-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    I'm not in O&G but I'm wondering what are bonuses based on? Overall company profit or is it per division, etc.?
    Can only speak for where myself/family/friends have worked but AFAIK this is a very typical structure:

Regular employee = 80+% personal performance, 20% company performance (or a similarly skewed scale). For example if the bonus range is set at 12-20% based on company performance, your manager will have the discretion to pick your percentage within that range.

Executive = 90-100% company performance

Typical non-executive O&G bonus is 15-20% of salary, as far as I have ever been able to tell.

I'd much rather have a higher base salary than a bigger bonus though as so many other benefits are often calculated off base like RRSP matching, health spending amounts, etc.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-04-2019 at 05:28 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Now that's some beautiful optimism!
    Fortunately most of the people I know are doing very well, mostly midstream, a few upstream, lawyers & bankers. Most are upper management, VP’s or equity partners.

I know it’s not all rainbows for everyone unfortunately, and feel for anyone out of a job or struggling, it’s definitely not a fun position to be in.

Hopefully things change by year end, and the economy improves.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Fortunately most of the people I know are doing very well, mostly midstream, a few upstream, lawyers & bankers. Most are upper management, VP’s or equity partners.

I know it’s not all rainbows for everyone unfortunately, and feel for anyone out of a job or struggling, it’s definitely not a fun position to be in.

Yup. I've been very fortunate to have escaped this downturn relatively unscathed and same goes for a lot of my friends. In my case It probably has more to do with being single and no gf to siphon whatever I had lol

Definitely hoping for better things with 2 elections looming. A rising tide lifts all boats, let's get this shit done!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post

Hey, even in my circle of friends and family, more people are doing well than poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    I'm not in O&G but I'm wondering what are bonuses based on? Overall company profit or is it per division, etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    depends on the company. where i work the calculation is:
    But the key is, they can skew the numbers to fit whatever scenario they want. The decision to give bonuses comes down to whether management wants to or not, regardless of the "policy" on it. Overwhelmingly that has been what I have seen at any company.

Don't be fooled lots of people are getting oil and gas bonuses under 5% of salary.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    But the key is, they can skew the numbers to fit whatever scenario they want. The decision to give bonuses comes down to whether management wants to or not, regardless of the "policy" on it. Overwhelmingly that has been what I have seen at any company.
    Kind of... If they are a publicly traded company its hard to skew numbers significantly. There is a bit of gamesmanship involved sometimes, however, overall - its pretty formulaic for the corporate components.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I like to think my bonus comes twice a month
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I said it in the last threat but any qualified professionals that are unemployed or unhappy with the Calgary environment should look South of the boarder. Things have slowed down compared to 2017/2018 but it’s still booming for qualified O&G professionals needed.

Almost every company that I have friends at have paid out big bonuses for 2018. I got near 50% which after US to CAD conversion more then doubles what I ever received while working in Calgary. Anyone who needs a change and isn’t tied down to Calgary should definitely at least consider the option of moving for a couple years.

My Ride
    4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    I said it in the last threat but any qualified professionals that are unemployed or unhappy with the Calgary environment should look South of the boarder. Things have slowed down compared to 2017/2018 but it’s still booming for qualified O&G professionals needed.

Almost every company that I have friends at have paid out big bonuses for 2018. I got near 50% which after US to CAD conversion more then doubles what I ever received while working in Calgary. Anyone who needs a change and isn’t tied down to Calgary should definitely at least consider the option of moving for a couple years.
    I have been looking into working down South but dont generally know where and how to start. Is there a guide or some sort of step by step on how to start in the first place?

My Ride
    Axis powers

So my wife's company is 'restructuring' and making everyone re-apply for their jobs while cutting a ton more.. not a good scene for sure

Not related to O&G at all
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    I have been looking into working down South but dont generally know where and how to start. Is there a guide or some sort of step by step on how to start in the first place?
    I'd like to figure that out as well, any thoughts @Type_S1 ?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

If you're single and a "professional", it's simple. Find a job that are willing to hire non-Americans, and they will endorse you through a H-1B Visa.

A little more complicated if you have a spouse that isn't a "professional". They won't be able to work (legally) at all until you become an American citizen.

Just google H-1B to get started.

Did that Trump proposal to increase the minimum salary for H1-B visas go into affect?

I would start job hunting through LinkedIn, other some major job board websites, and the American professional association for whatever job role you have. I would also reach out to the large recruiting companies in he city you want to work to get your name on their lists as headhunters, believe it or not, are highly utilized down here from what I’ve seen as I get contacted quite often by 3rd party recruiters. Use your networks and talk to people you know in the US as well. If your an engineer the large service (Halliburton, Schlum., Weatherford, etc.) companies seem to hire frequently from all over the place so reaching out to these companies could open a few doors.

You’ll come down on an H1B visa. The process is actually quite simple if you qualify but you have to find a company willing to sponsor you. Lots of mid-sized to large companies likely won’t have a problem with this but smaller companies may have issues based on their lack of experience with ex-pats.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Did that Trump proposal to increase the minimum salary for H1-B visas go into affect?
    Nope.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    If you're single and a "professional", it's simple. Find a job that are willing to hire non-Americans, and they will endorse you through a H-1B Visa.

A little more complicated if you have a spouse that isn't a "professional". They won't be able to work (legally) at all until you become an American citizen.

Just google H-1B to get started.
    I wonder how it works if both partners are professionals (ie professional engineers) but only one of them was the one who got the original job. Any idea if they put much value on having the FE exam complete south of the border for work?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast