Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 32 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

11 5.67%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

13 6.70%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

11 5.67%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

97 50.00%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

21 10.82%
  • We're all fucked

42 21.65%
  • Other

4 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think this would get much traction as its own thread, so maybe I'll put it here. It's about Worley (formerly WorleyParsons).
    Their stock slipped a bit yesterday and that made me stumble on this crazy, massive article about Worley and Dar Group.(Snipped)"
    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I wouldn't say Worley is massive... the company I work for now is ~$140B market cap and >500k employees.

I worked for Worley as a new grad up until a few years ago. So glad I got out of that industry.
    I currently work for Worley, and we haven't heard anything from the DAR Group in a couple of years. I know they were trying to buy Worley, but that the company was fighting it. That was the last we heard. Nothing since the CEO put out a letter to everyone about a year ago, maybe 2.

Yes we bought Jacobs ECR business and are still going through the merging process. I wouldn't say that anything has really changed here in the office. Although things are started to feel a little more optimistic around here.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    the number of geos required is closely tied to rig count
    By and large yes, I agree, unless some Hail Mary miracle happens and we start exploring the North again. Moreover, it's worthwhile to keep in mind the production of oil sands mining projects will sway that number +/- because people need to be out there constantly updating digging models, evaluating ore grades etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    TLDR, there will be no "rebound" in geoscience employment in Alberta.
    I'm optimistic that if we can get a pipeline actually flowing, things will indeed rebound. Does that mean it'll be 2005 again? I think we can all agree that was an anomaly. Not that it will help me immediately by any means but I do see Alberta improving by 2022.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I'm optimistic that if we can get a pipeline actually flowing, things will indeed rebound. Does that mean it'll be 2005 again? I think we can all agree that was an anomaly. Not that it will help me immediately by any means but I do see Alberta improving by 2022.
    I'm "optimistic" that 1) we will get a pipeline flowing somewhere and that 2) it'll be good for the health of the industry. I don't however think it will mean any increase in employment numbers for any profession or trade. I could be wrong, it's happened many times before.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    I currently work for Worley, and we haven't heard anything from the DAR Group in a couple of years. I know they were trying to buy Worley, but that the company was fighting it. That was the last we heard. Nothing since the CEO put out a letter to everyone about a year ago, maybe 2.

Yes we bought Jacobs ECR business and are still going through the merging process. I wouldn't say that anything has really changed here in the office. Although things are started to feel a little more optimistic around here.
    Yes, you haven't been told, but Worley is only interested in telling what they're obligated to by the ASX regulations and even then, they're selectively quiet. For example, they chose/failed to disclose Dar's takeover offer in late 2016. That's pretty sketchy for a publically traded Co. and I believe there's a lawsuit from some shareholders for that. Addressing their own employees is WAY lower in the priorities.
    That does NOT mean that there hasn't been consistent, additional drama between Worley and Dar. Dar continues to buy batches of stock and has been since 2016 whether you've heard about it, or not. They went from 10% to 15% and then another big leap to 20% before finding a backdoor way to get up to 23%. Now Worley is actively at war to stop them from making it up to 26%. (For some reason, that percentage is a key tipping point that Worley is desperately trying to stop them from acquiring). I am not familiar enough with such matters to understand why - particularly since Dar is already solidly established as Worley's #1 shareholder.
    At any rate, don't count on some greasy pube-haired Australian to relay information from Sydney to the walking barcodes in Calgary. They give zero fucks about keeping the employees abreast of hostile takeovers and creeping shareholders. Your job is to be 98% chargeable while giving 40% of your work away to Mumbai > Shanghai > Nanjing. That's the #BigBoxEPC way!

What projects you working on?

They give zero fucks about keeping the employees healthy and happy. Your job is to be 100% chargeable while giving 60+% of your work away to Mumbai > Shanghai > Nanjing. That's the #BigBoxEPC way!
    Fixed that for you. (former employee, who's spouse and numerous colleagues and friends are still with them)

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Your job is to be 98% chargeable while giving 40% of your work away to Mumbai > Shanghai > Nanjing. That's the #BigBoxEPC way!
    Absolutely nailed it, that's Worley to a fucking T.

-former employee

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Absolutely nailed it, that's Worley to a fucking T.

-former employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    Fixed that for you. (former employee, who's spouse and numerous colleagues and friends are still with them)
    Well, the +Rep button is right there, so...

But seriously, Colt got swallowed by Worley who decided to pretend to play with Fluor, Bechtel, Jacobs and whatever other BigBox EPC companies that have Change Orders bigger than most Worley projects. That dragged them into giving >40% of their hours away, just like every other giant EPC.
    And why is that? Because Alistair J. ShitCock III, M.Eng, PMP at every large client, ever decided that "it's this part of the project that represents only 10% of TIC that needs to be cut in half! That's durrr problem, right thurrr!" So engineering budgets get raped and managed by a team of bean counting gorfs when all of the savings from the slashed budget evaporate within one day of butchered construction or an unused 500t crane or whatever.
    Rinse & repeat and wonder why the outcome is the same.

So yes, Worley sucks but really they suck pretty much just as hard as the other giant, faceless, corporate entities. The reason people are disappointed is that Colt and MacDonald EG were big and didn't suck until they got bought.
    The one and only thing the clients have right is that there is just no difference at all among BigBoxEPC companies. "Shut up about your horse shit, supposed 'differentiators' and be the cheapest because your all the fuckin same!"
    And it's a race.
    To the bottom.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 01-30-2020 at 07:54 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Still looking for Geology work if anyone has caught wind of something. Pretty dusty out there lately but a couple postings do come up, albeit I do wonder if they are more as a formality than anything.

The Saudi's are seriously staffing up bigly (I don't have enough experience and that's if I actually wanted to live in Dubai).
    Is Geomatics the same thing? Guessing probably not but when I googled it there was some overlap with Geology and Surveying but idk

https://careers-hexagonpositioning.i...s-engineer/job

Colt got swallowed by Worley who decided to pretend to play with Fluor, Bechtel, Jacobs and whatever other BigBox EPC companies

The reason people are disappointed is that Colt and MacDonald EG were big and didn't suck until they got bought.
    I am not just a former employee (of WP), but was a long time Colt veteran before that as well. And yes I fully agree.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

My favourite Worley moment was when they bought Cord so they could have construction/fab presence, but their internal construction engg department (mainly Colt guys) basically refused to work with Cord due to past fuckups and bad blood. Maybe they've buried the hatchet now, but it was ugly for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Is Geomatics the same thing? Guessing probably not but when I googled it there was some overlap with Geology and Surveying but idk

https://careers-hexagonpositioning.i...s-engineer/job
    No Geomatics is not the same as Geology (study of rock formations).
    Geomatics is a mix of surveying and GPS, satellite positioning, mapping, geography, GIS (think Google Maps, autonomous driving)

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
    No Geomatics is not the same as Geology (study of rock formations).
    Geomatics is a mix of surveying and GPS, satellite positioning, mapping, geography, GIS (think Google Maps, autonomous driving)
    Ahh, should've spent more than 5 seconds on google to check.

AER did layoffs today. Any numbers released yet? Have to check that my contacts are still employed.

Do you know what positions were let go?

Only staff I know who had the "stay in your office until a certain time" were in the reservoir applications group. But heard it was all groups.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    AER did layoffs today. Any numbers released yet? Have to check that my contacts are still employed.
    I imagine its related to this article from october last year https://calgaryherald.com/business/e...evy-to-hit-aer

company i was laid off from in 2015 just called me back. I honestly dont know if this is a sign that things are getting better, but uh... ill take it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    90 people. A bunch from IT.

Pembina layoffs today. Not sure on the number but could be up to 400.

Paramount hit too.

Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast