Quantcast
Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8 - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found SIMILAR work yet

11 5.67%
  • I was laid off and found a new job in the same industry

13 6.70%
  • I was laid off and found a new job/career in a different industry

11 5.67%
  • I'm still plugging along with the same company I've always been with

97 50.00%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere

21 10.82%
  • We're all fucked

42 21.65%
  • Other

4 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office / company laid people off or are you expecting layoffs? PART 8

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HR will also take into account employee's age and how likely or easily that person could reasonably be expected to find another job. Or at least that's what I have heard.
    Yep. We recently let an executive go, and he came back with a legal letter because he thinks his severance is too small, even those that's all his employment contract covers. We consulted our legal and they talked about how if this ever goes to court, the judge will look at his age, his title, how likely he is to find another job with equivalent pay and title etc...and obviously the younger and higher up that person is, the harder it would be for that person to find an equivalent job.

Long story short, despite having an employment contract outlining his termination severance, we ended up giving him more money to settle...

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Yep. We recently let an executive go, and he came back with a legal letter because he thinks his severance is too small, even those that's all his employment contract covers. We consulted our legal and they talked about how if this ever goes to court, the judge will look at his age, his title, how likely he is to find another job with equivalent pay and title etc...and obviously the younger and higher up that person is, the harder it would be for that person to find an equivalent job.

Long story short, despite having an employment contract outlining his termination severance, we ended up giving him more money to settle...
    So in that case, did he already agree to the severance before he brought the letter?

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    So in that case, did he already agree to the severance before he brought the letter?
    Doubt it. Probably took the severance package to his lawyer and got the letter drawn up.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Doubt it. Probably took the severance package to his lawyer and got the letter drawn up.
    Oh okay. Yeah my wife (who works in HR) has always said that when they offer you a severance, do not take it and tell them you want 24 hours to decide. Which is probably what that exec did.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Oh okay. Yeah my wife (who works in HR) has always said that when they offer you a severance, do not take it and tell them you want 24 hours to decide. Which is probably what that exec did.
    You never sign right away. They can't take back their offer if you take time to seek guidance from a lawyer. Assuming its reasonable time.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    You never sign right away. They can't take back their offer if you take time to seek guidance from a lawyer. Assuming its reasonable time.
    Yep - That. Wouldn't sign the release and went straight to legal. We got the legal letter within 24 hours.

I guess an interesting bit was since his severance was outlined in the employment agreement, technically we have met all the requirements. If we go to court, the judge usually side with the employee and based on all the stuff I said, he has a decently case. However, he has to show that he has put in reasonable efforts in looking for a job of similar position, and if he actually finds one right away, within the time equilvalent to our severance package, then his case becomes very weak. So it was a gamble on our end... and we decided not to risk it, more so because of the potential legal cost than anything else.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 06-20-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Don't think it will result in layoffs in the short term, but Shell just sold its Foothills assets (Waterton, Jumping Pound, Caroline + all the fields that feed these plants) to Pieridae Energy.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Im curious - is there a pipeline that goes from these plants to Nova Scotia for this natural gas?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Im curious - is there a pipeline that goes from these plants to Nova Scotia for this natural gas?
    The north american natural gas transmission system is pretty integrated, but in the end, it won't be these same molecules of gas that get produced in Alberta and loaded onto boats in Nova Scotia. However, it doesn't have to be, because they'll be insulated from commodity price swings by virtue of having their own production to sell.

the news release makes it seem like it will supply the Goldboro project:

https://boereport.com/2019/06/26/pie...ut-gas-plants/

It also demonstrates solid progress for our flagship Goldboro LNG project. We said we would acquire additional gas supplies for the LNG facility and we have done that. Not only does this deal help us secure the remaining conventional natural gas supply needed for the first train of the Goldboro LNG project, it makes Pieridae a major player in the Alberta midstream and upstream industry.

“But more than that, it creates a solid, ongoing foundation for the Company as we continue to build toward becoming the first Canadian company to market LNG off the east coast to global consumers,” concluded Sorensen.
    I suppose they could just "trade" gas produced in AB with gas produced closer to NS since it's all so integrated, so ExtraSlow is probably right.

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    the news release makes it seem like it will supply the Goldboro project:

https://boereport.com/2019/06/26/pie...ut-gas-plants/

I suppose they could just "trade" gas produced in AB with gas produced closer to NS since it's all so integrated, so ExtraSlow is probably right.
    That’s pretty much how gas marketing works. You pay a fee to go in, you pay a fee to off-take. The fees will depend on the locations of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    That’s pretty much how gas marketing works. You pay a fee to go in, you pay a fee to off-take. The fees will depend on the locations of those two.
    Interesting. Learned something new today

One question tho, how do they ensure quality? Is it possible that producer A puts shittier quality gas into the main pipe then gets better quality gas out at the other end? (Or the opposite)

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Interesting. Learned something new today

One question tho, how do they ensure quality? Is it possible that producer A puts shittier quality gas into the main pipe then gets better quality gas out at the other end? (Or the opposite)
    It's strictly regulated on what each will take. A producer can't dump a bunch of ethane and propane into the line with the methane and there are limits on sulfur, etc etc.
    A good running gas plant maximizes the amount of LPG to the limits that the pipeline will take because it's virtually a disposal issue for the producer.
    They check and test at transfer points to make sure producers aren't feeding them garbage.

My Ride
    AECO

Can confirm. There is gas a chromatograph running 24/7.

Producers and pipeline operators know exactly what the composition of gas leaving the plant and going into the pipeline is and many other specs.

At transmission pipeline pressure and temperature ethane (C2) and propane (C3) would be a gas resulting in a higher heating value of the gas stream.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You also get paid different amount based on the content of your gas. Fun fact, natural gas isn't one thing, it's a mixture of different molecules, methane, ethane, propane etc. Although, on the long distance transport lines, most of the propane and heavier has been stripped out and sold separately.

This year and next will be the death of the well servicing companies. I suspect a bunch of small take overs and one big industry shocking failure.

But who...
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

What’s the story for Husky? BNN was running a segment.

Massive cuts?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    What’s the story for Husky? BNN was running a segment.

Massive cuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by BNN
    COMPANY NEWS
    Hundreds of Husky Energy workers facing layoffs, sources say
    BNN Bloomberg

Hundreds of workers at Husky Energy Inc. are believed to be affected by a round of layoffs at the Canadian energy giant, according to employees at the company.

Sources told BNN Bloomberg’s Tara Weber the layoffs are mostly focused on western Canadian staff, with the majority of cuts happening in Calgary.

One source said the layoffs were happening Tuesday morning. The human resources department at Husky booked multiple rooms at the Calgary headquarters for meetings from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. local time, multiple sources said.

A spokesperson for Husky Energy told BNN Bloomberg on Monday the company doesn’t comment on rumours or speculation.

The cuts come at a time when Husky has been reducing capital spending in the wake of ongoing pressure facing the country’s energy sector.

In December, Husky took $300 million out of its 2019 capital spending budget to account for the impact of oil production curtailments and lower global oil prices. And at its investor day in May, the company unveiled a new five-year plan that would see average annual capital spending fall to $3.15 billion, down 10 per cent per year from its previous 2018-22 plan.

Husky will release its third-quarter financial results on Thursday.
    Not a lot of details, but then again what did you expect?
    Anyone who thinks Canadian oil and gas has hit the bottom is going to have a rough 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    my bike

rumor has it pegged at 500 jobs

Quote Originally Posted by 98type_r View Post
    rumor has it pegged at 500 jobs
    National news if those jobs were being cut in Ontario or Quebec...

Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast