Quantcast
Lush - Stop the Pipelines - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lush - Stop the Pipelines

Default Lush - Stop the Pipelines

Saw this shared on Brett Wilson's feed:

https://www.lush.ca/en/story?cid=art...-the-pipelines

I know i won't be doing any christmas shopping over there any more after this. Pretty rich of them to be operating in Alberta and doing this bullshit. Let's boycott these guys... tell all your women friends too!!

Women love lush, and they are all about nature natural, eco

Good for them.

I doubt you shop there anyway

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Haha, they're getting lambasted.

Always down for a good'ole boycott. Shared on FB.

Maybe if they didn’t contribute to massive deforestation for their palm oil needs we wouldn’t have to worry about the environmental impact of hydrocarbon emissions

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

What a bunch of losers, their fb is full of that virtue posturing bs on every issue out there.

Stick to making soap.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Not their first time hating on pipelines. They're UK-based and give little shits for Alberta/BC as long as it means more sales. People leaving bad reviews or saying they won't buy from them for Christmas is exactly what I imagine they anticipated and still went ahead with this anyways. They give zero fucks about Albertan outcry/boycott.

Their website certainly seems to suggest they actually do what they say in terms of sourcing/ethics/conservation.

https://uk.lush.com/article/ethical-buying-policy

I just googled that they have over 900 stores worldwide. They will not be hurting.
    Last edited by msommers; 11-29-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Haha, they're getting lambasted.
    As they should be.

Stick to makin' soap is right.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Not their first time hating on pipelines. They're UK-based and give little shits for Alberta/BC as long as it means more sales.

Their website certainly seems to suggest they actually do what they say in terms of sourcing/ethics/conservation.

https://uk.lush.com/article/ethical-buying-policy

Read up on their palm oil stuff though. Palm oil harvesting is one of the leading causes of deforestation in many tropical/equatorial countries. They say they are working on removing it from their products but apparently profits outweigh deforestation concerns.

It’s nice to say things and pretend ethics are your primary goals but anyone can say that.I am also working towards being a millionaire but those are just words.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Read up on their palm oil stuff though. Palm oil harvesting is one of the leading causes of deforestation in many tropical/equatorial countries. They say they are working on removing it from their products but apparently profits outweigh deforestation concerns.

It’s nice to say things and pretend ethics are your primary goals but anyone can say that.I am also working towards being a millionaire but those are just words.
    You guys are lying about lush.

https://www.eco-business.com/news/lu...atra-campaign/

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Again man do your research before you comment. By their own admission many of their products still contain palm oil. However they prefer to profit rather than refusing to use palm oil in their products.

Sure they are working towards eliminating it but those are just words allowing them to ‘claim’ the moral high ground without actually being there

https://www.lush.ca/en/story?cid=art...h-and-palm-oil

Your article is a PR stunt...

Edit: wait FFS your article specifically highlights they still use palm oil, you didn’t even read it!!
    Last edited by J-hop; 11-29-2018 at 06:10 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

i tried to share it on fb and the fucking site blocked me from doing so... haha

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Its interesting, if you look at the ingredients to make soap, one has to ask how it is transported from the point of harvest, via ship to manufacturing facility. Its so dam hypocritical from Lush.
    Someone should make a mirror site that highlights this.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Its interesting, if you look at the ingredients to make soap, one has to ask how it is transported from the point of harvest, via ship to manufacturing facility. Its so dam hypocritical from Lush.
    Yea I didn’t even get that far into it, for some reason the anti oil fanatics are able to pull mental gymnastics and classify that argument as ridiculous so I tend to avoid that argument. But catch them in ‘harder’ to dismiss hypocrisies and they don’t seem to be able to come up with an answer

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Yea I didn’t even get that far into it, for some reason the anti oil fanatics are able to pull mental gymnastics and classify that argument as ridiculous so I tend to avoid that argument. But catch them in ‘harder’ to dismiss hypocrisies and they don’t seem to be able to come up with an answer
    I met a business man in Bangkok that distributed coconut oil. We discussed options on the Canadian marketplace and I looked at pricing and competitors. Upon returning to Calgary, I even went to a business session for immigrants at the Calgary chamber of commerce and connected with a Italian importer to gain a insight on how he was doing it with his products.
    We had no problem in terms of getting (coconut oil) from SriLanka to Vancouver. The problem was from port to Calgary. Transport costs and competing with big box stores with a low population base is challenging. Brokers were a option, but again issue was cost.

I looked at alternatives and wholesale. Oddly enough I learned one of the main ingredients of soap is coconut oil. There are a lot soap manufacturers in BC and AB. But the same problem arose. Transportation costs and shipping. Think of all the ingredients that have to be put in shipping containers, shipped to the other side of the world and transported.

From Wikipedia:
    Ingredients
    Lush products are 100% vegetarian, and 80% of the products are also vegan. They often contain fruits and vegetables such as grapefruit juice, vanilla beans, aloe vera, avocado butter, rosemary oil, fresh papaya, and coconut [24]. However, some products contain lanolin, eggs, honey, and/or beeswax. Parabens are used to preserve a number of the products.[25]
    Lush's position is a pure marketing that triggers a emotion with its buyers. In some respects its smart. They know their customers are too dumb to realise their business model is intricately linked to oil. The ships that transport the goods have a big carbon footprint.
    Their entire business model would fall apart without oil. They could not ship the ingredients from different parts of the globe without it.

Makes you wonder.

My Ride
    NC1

Don't bite the hand that feeds you
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I was just going to mention this. My mom makes her own soap, she has since I was a very small child.

I noticed what actually went into soap and for a lot of the process I would get locked away because they were using lye and my mom and her friend would put a mask and gloves on, when I first watched Breaking Bad I thought that if they weren't making meth, they could rewrite the entire show about a seriously bad-ass soap cook.

My entire extended family has refused to shop there and I've told people walking into the store too that if you're in oil and gas, this company doesn't support you and you should shop elsewhere.
    Hate that company.

I'm using coconut shampoo right now. It puts a nice fake slick sheen on, downside is that it makes me hungry all the time.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I think overall their product is fantastic, and they're hardly perfect -- obviously picking and choosing what is "right" and what is "wrong" is foolish. Excellent point about palm oil.

Mentioned the Lush boycott to the GF last night, who loves Lush, and as someone who knows/cares very little about O&G, her first rhetorical question to me was "how do they get their soaps to the store? By walking?"

Boats, aircraft, trains, semis and delivery vans, all specifically created for Lush...apparently all running off of Not Petroleum™

What I find most fascinating about this whole ordeal is how Alberta oil sands are targetted, and yet British Petroleum's offshore program is conveniently A-OK. Or Africa's abysmal environmental record isn't worth mentioning.

But as we all know, the oil sands are basically like Hiroshima so...
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast