Quantcast
Huawei CFO arrested Vancouver. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Huawei CFO arrested Vancouver.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The Americans release the details behind the extradition:

https://imgur.com/a/8iRToyc

Turns out that she (specifically) is accused of multiple counts of international bank fraud. Even knowing this was the case, it sounds like she got over confident and assumed that travelling through Canada (instead of the US) would keep her from their reach.

Back in 2016, Huawei itself was under investigation for other things in America and its senior officials there were issued a grand jury subpoena - and adjusted their travel plans afterwards.

Apparently HSBC might be part of this as well (Hong Kong bank of Canada) - they were the first to also notice some unusual activity.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-09-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Extradition on suspected bank fraud? Seriously? I mean if she took a machine gun and wiped out a small town with indisputable video proof, I'd say extradition.

Now I'm thinking something completely different. Mind game politics definitely coming into play. I can see this as being a ploy by Canada and China now.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-09-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Apparently HSBC might be part of this as well (Hong Kong bank of Canada) - they were the first to also notice some unusual activity.
    That’s pretty funny considering the blind eye they turned towards the cartel money

My Ride

Yea its a pretty good novel this .... short one anyway.

In the end, after months of wrangling, she will be released because her offence fails the double criminality test. So essentially, all for naught and political theatre.

All the governments know this - so there is a hell of a lot more going on. Further, some sources allege that this was all known days in advance by the three heads of state.

Another requirement to be met is “double criminality,” which means the court must find that the crime for which Ms. Meng is sought also amounts to a crime in Canada in order for extradition to be completed. Under our Special Economic Measures Act, it is an offence to have economic dealings with foreign states against which the government has issued sanctions, and Iran is one of the listed states. While this may be a parallel to the relevant U.S. laws, one important difference is that Canada’s law is not applied against foreign nationals who act outside Canada, whereas it appears the U.S. is pursuing Ms. Meng for conduct that did not touch American territory.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...tter-stand-up/

My Ride
    Bicycle

BTW HSBC stands for HongKong Shanghai Bank Corporation.

$10M Bail - $7M cash.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.4940849

So I guess she will leave by boat?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    So I guess she will leave by boat?
    With her kind of money, she can buy off the security guards and get fake passports. She is the hell out of here as soon as the dust settles, make no mistake.

And a boat wouldn't be unreasonable either, would be a long ride back to China. But totally worth it in her position.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Should arrest any Canadian within China. One ex diplomat is peanuts, there must be hundreds of Canadians they can throw jail. That's how they prove they are serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds like a backwards country trying to further isolate it self from the rest of the world. Let them.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Sounds like a backwards country trying to further isolate it self from the rest of the world. Let them.
    I'm assuming you mean America right? haha

My Ride

^ exactly - the Americans had the audacity to claim that she had zero ties of any kind in Vancouver and yet at one point she held a BCID and DL - along with several properties still.

They knew everything about her.

Purely political, nothing more. This will drag on for a few months and then she will be released on her way.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    I'm assuming you mean America right? haha
    Sounds like canada.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

North Americans can’t afford to have China isolated. Nobody would be able to afford to live with how much Chinese products we rely on daily. We own you whiteys.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Nobody would be able to afford to live with how much Chinese products we rely on daily
    This actually brings up a very interesting thought, I wonder if there are analysis' available anywhere that show how much an item would cost to manufacture in North America vs China.

With the business I am in, usually the main hurdle is something that is environmentally damaging (read expensive). Either in high energy cost, or nasty chemicals/processes being utilized. But stuff is made for a reasonable price in North America all the time, its not like there isn't any manufacturing here.

Anyone who puts China's actions on par with USA's, your ideology is showing. There is no comparison in the slightest.

As for the CFO, she spends two weeks a year in Canada, and hasn't held any form of visa for over 7. She has no ties here, besides two mansions that she's funneled cash out of China for. I don't see how anyone thinks this is political, what would politics have to do with criminal charges of fraud against an executive? You think Trump just rang up the Justice Department and was all "ya, arrest her so I can force a trade agreement?" Fuck off

Take the example of making an electrical power cord, or usb cable:

Canada would have to start at base refining everything. We ship boatloads of 25% copper slurry (like pancake mix) to china for them to produce metal ingots of copper.

Once that is done you have a minor chance of being able to build a factory that say - made strands of copper wire. And after that you would have to build a cable factory to say, injection mold a coaxial cable and sleeve plastic jackets, and put connectors on the ends.

We don't even have the ability to make copper ingots, nevermind an actual usable finished product. The first usb cable to come off the line would likely cost a million dollars.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-12-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    This actually brings up a very interesting thought, I wonder if there are analysis' available anywhere that show how much an item would cost to manufacture in North America vs China.

With the business I am in, usually the main hurdle is something that is environmentally damaging (read expensive). Either in high energy cost, or nasty chemicals/processes being utilized. But stuff is made for a reasonable price in North America all the time, its not like there isn't any manufacturing here.
    We don't have enough drive and do anything for a buck mentality to keep cost low.

If Canada/Alberta were Chinese ran, we probably have 10x more pipelines and Northern Alberta will be strip mined of tar sand and all Cariboos will be sold a delicacy.

That said, we all will probably die of lung disease of some kind.

At this point, I think it's too late to isolate China. They are already taking over and dominating global markets that way beyond what Japanese were doing in the 80s.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-12-2018 at 11:11 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    As for the CFO, she spends two weeks a year in Canada, and hasn't held any form of visa for over 7. She has no ties here, besides two mansions that she's funneled cash out of China for. I don't see how anyone thinks this is political, what would politics have to do with criminal charges of fraud against an executive? You think Trump just rang up the Justice Department and was all "ya, arrest her so I can force a trade agreement?" Fuck off
    Perhaps you missed the part where the law that she allegedly broke, does not constitute a crime in Canada (as she is not a citizen) . This fails the dual-nation crime test that is required to deport her to the US.

ALL the parties are fully aware of this yet they choose to continue with this circus.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Perhaps you missed the part
    Perhaps you missed the part where you are talking out of your ass, but here it is all laid out neatly in your favourite propaganda journal:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/men...tion-1.4937146

As long as the USA has A CHARGE when it formally submits the forms for extradition that carries a sentence of a year or more, she is eligible for extradition. You seem to forget she is actually accused of committing BANK FRAUD, among other things.

Just a quick google search brings this page up about fraud in Canada:
    https://www.normstanford.com/charges-defended/fraud/

"What is the possible penalty for Fraud Over $5000?
    Under the Criminal Code of Canada, Section cc. 380.(1), every one who is found guilty of Fraud Over $5000 is guilty of an indictable offense that is punishable by a term of imprisonment up to fourteen years."

So no circus about it. She is accused of committing a crime, there will absolutely be plausible evidence brought forth that supports the case of a trial going forward (it is not to decide whether she is guilty or not). Basically, she is just buying herself time to live in Canada for the next couple years and/or she will wait until the hubub dies down and flee the country. For a billionaire and with how lax Canada is with keeping track of people, it won't be hard.

My Ride

She was accused of violating sanctions through her actions - which is against AMERICAN law for a non-citizen.

Canada has no such laws for non-citizens.

This fails the double criminality test.

Another requirement to be met is “double criminality,” which means the court must find that the crime for which Ms. Meng is sought also amounts to a crime in Canada in order for extradition to be completed. Under our Special Economic Measures Act, it is an offence to have economic dealings with foreign states against which the government has issued sanctions, and Iran is one of the listed states.

While this may be a parallel to the relevant U.S. laws, one important difference is that Canada’s law is not applied against foreign nationals who act outside Canada , whereas it appears the U.S. is pursuing Ms. Meng for conduct that did not touch American territory.
    Also she is accused of 'conspiracy to fraud' - not fraud as such. Very loose terminology and the horse shit the Americans use against her include material like Powerpoints that were considered misleading. They could have been misleading because of language translation errors - or various other reasons - who knows as its immaterial anyway.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-12-2018 at 12:27 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

She was accused of violating sanctions through her actions - which is against AMERICAN law for a non-citizen.
    No, she has been accused of bank fraud. I'm not even going to put a link. Type "huawei bank fraud" into google and see what comes up you retard. The article even states there is a high likelihood of her being extradited.

Again, you are talking out of your ass. The US has not formally submitted the charges to Canada, they have 60 days to do this. As I said, as long as there is A CHARGE that is also a criminal act in Canada in the formal documents SUBMITTED WITHIN 60 DAYS, off she goes. Yes, she is wanted for violating sanctions, AMONG OTHER THINGS. Canada can block the extradition if it is for political reasons, but that would be unprecedented. She even knows if she had set foot in the USA, she would have been arrested, well before any of this ever happened, she has been avoiding the USA completely.

Jesus. Between you and Kert

Edit-
    Mistranslated powerpoints? Da fuq?

"Mrs CFO, are you saying you want to send funds to Iran through a shell company?"

"No, of course not!"

Last edited by HiTempguy1; 12-12-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast