Quantcast
Huawei CFO arrested Vancouver. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Huawei CFO arrested Vancouver.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

OK looks like the G&M article I cited was missing some details:

Article 2

-Persons shall be delivered up according to the provisions of this Treaty for any of the offenses listed in the Schedule annexed to this Treaty, which is an integral part of this Treaty, provided these offenses are punishable by the laws of both Contracting Parties by a term of imprisonment exceeding one year.
    -Extradition shall also be granted for attempts to commit, or conspiracy to commit or being a party to any of the offenses listed in the annexed Schedule.
    -Extradition shall also be granted for any offense against a federal law of the United States in which one of the offenses listed in the annexed Schedule, or made extraditable by paragraph (2) of this Article, is a substantial element, even if transporting, transportation, the use of the mails or interstate facilities are also elements of the specific offense.
    http://www.treaty-accord.gc.ca/text-...aspx?id=101323

Also - the Canadian extradition methods are very loose.

Simply put, if the US wants to have you extradited, they need only file an intent to prosecute you. Meanwhile in Canada, you can't challenge the extradition on the grounds that the prosecution is unlikely to result in a conviction. The legal arguments by the US prosecutor could be utterly without merit, yet Canada will still surrender you to extradition. This is what happened in the case of a Canadian citizen who was subject to an extradition request by France. The Canadian judge said point blank that the evidence presented was highly suspect, and that he saw no likelihood that it could lead to a conviction. However, under Canada's Extradition Act he had no choice but to order the Canadian citizen to be extradited, as the Minister requested. That Canadian citizen spent over three years in a French prison WITHOUT CHARGES EVEN BEING LAID.
    Thus - she DOES have a chance of being extradited - even with the BS American claims. Her fucking (criminal) powerpoint was done through an interpretor.

You're so full of propaganda bull shit. She's charged with conspiracy to defraud multiple international financial institutions. That's most certainly a crime in Canada. Our judiciary system is completely separate from our legislative arm of government. If the charges had no standing in Canada she would not have been arrested. Do you think it's as simple as Trump calling up Trudeau asking him to pretty please arrest some random Chinese lady? No... The arrest and subsequent bail hearings are all fully independent. If it ends up being trumped up charges then she will be released. If the judicial system finds the evidence to be valid then she will be extradited to the US to face the full weight of the law.

Actually... You can kind of see it as: She *might* have used a second party to transfer money in and out of Iran.

Which is illegal in the USA because that's technically accepting money for business purposes. It isn't actually illegal in Canada. Its the same reason how if you lived in the USA and wanted to buy Cuban cigars (illegal at one point in time) you could shuffle some money to a Canadian and have them relay it for you. Is that illegal? Pretty grey area, and who do you charge - the middleman "Canadian" or the USA guy who wanted the Cuban cigars to start with.

Besides, we aren't talking nukes or armor piercing bullets, or drugs here - arguably these are just media consumption devices so that grandmas can play candy crush.

Obviously someone else sees it this way, as she is past the double blind.

Kinder surprise eggs were also illegal in the USA, but legal in Canada. Would anyone extradite on Kinder Surprise eggs? Personally I think Canada should get around to some flexing, and ban sale of oilsands for a week (instead of this 8% cutback crap) Show them whos in charge.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-12-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bullshit backpeddling and trying to make it seem like a win
    You. Are. Wrong. Period. End of discussion. She committed multiple counts of BANK FRAUD. There are HUNDREDS of articles instantly available on google to show this, with headlines with the words "BANK FRAUD" in them.

Once in the USA, she will also be tried for violating US Iran sanctions. The only time your argument would matter at all is if the SINGULAR, ONE AND ONLY CHARGE was violating Iran sanctions. Which it isn't.

I'm just really enjoying this argument, you were so comically wrong it's hilarious, and then the backpeddling like "oh, on a technicality I'm not 100% right" is cute.

Me right now:

The thing with bank fraud is: How do you know for sure? I mean, people legitimately give money to other people all the time, inheritances, stipends, goodwill, charity, etc. If that person happens to give back a Cuban cigar or a kinder surprise egg as a present a year later - its certainly shady, but illegal is a stretch.

Not a single banker in the 2008 AAA (actually "F") mortgage scandal went to jail. Technically, they got rewarded for lying their asses off about financial instruments. At least half of the people who bought and sold AAA real estate in the USA had to have had some idea that they were defrauding people based on their assesssments.

That's why its pretty weenie to jail anyone on "Bank Fraud", nevermind extradite.

I see NASA as being defraudatory. I mean, they advertise as being "AAA" on technology of putting people into space. And yet, to this very day 50 years later - no one can "buy" or even collaborate on a moon mission. Its like - it never happened.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-12-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

I dont know what shes worth but 10 mill has got to be chump change for her no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

On a side note: Trump getting angry over Google searches of "Idiot" immediately going to pictures and articles of him. Huawei isn't even a factor.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    I dont know what shes worth but 10 mill has got to be chump change for her no?
    Yeah. They offer $15M, Crown only want $10M.

Her dad is worth $3.3B which means she will eventually worth at least that.

My Ride
    Silverado

too bad she may spend the rest of her life in jail.

Crazy that China has arrested two Canadians now in retaliation. fucking chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Yeah. They offer $15M, Crown only want $10M.

Her dad is worth $3.3B which means she will eventually worth at least that.
    That would be equivalent to putting something like a $100 bail for an average person lol

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    No way that will ever happen.
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    Ahhh first time ZenOps incorrect. Many many years ago, a Chinese lady went to the moon. Her husband an archer once shot out 9 out of 10 suns from the sky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorath View Post
    Yes yes. When that happened people ate endless mooncakes

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post

Crazy that China has arrested two Canadians now in retaliation. fucking chinese
    Well, sounds like she can now avoid extradition thanks to Trump's big mouth.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lp-meng-s-case

I actually have no problem with the 1st arrest. You have to know you got it coming when you tried to start a dissident organization in China.

Spavor tho, has never been political and probably build more bridges and ease relations in the area. That one is truly unjust.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My Ride
    Bicycle

Canada giving Nokia $40M for 5G, looks like setting up stage to kick out Huawei
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gov...i-5g-1.4991435

Now an Chinese Australian (former diplomat for China and a critic of Chinese government) has been arbitrary detained, same reasons as the 2 Canadians.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46981748

McCallum apologize about his "tips" to Meng's defense team.
    https://ipolitics.ca/2019/01/24/mcca...s-extradition/

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Heh, I wonder what China's reaction will be when this happens next week or so-

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/u...tradition.html

WASHINGTON — The United States plans to formally request within a week that Canada extradite a top Huawei executive to stand trial for charges related to violating American sanctions on Iran.

American officials say they will seek to have Meng Wanzhou, the chief financial officer of the Chinese telecom firm Huawei who was detained in Canada on Dec. 1, sent to the United States. They have until Jan. 30 to make the request.
    Rest of the article is in the link.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Why the fuck hasn't it already been submitted? They asked us to arrest her 7 weeks ago!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride
    Trucks

The application and all the details should be included with the original international arrest warrant. She should have been shipped to the States the same day. If another country won’t provide proof then the arrest order should be ignored.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Here is a random thought I had. I don't know all the details on how this works but....

Since she is out on bail, what's to stop her from walking into the Chinese embassy, getting into a diplomatic plated car, and then onto a Chinese state-owned airplane and going back to China? I mean besides the $7.5M in bail...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast