Quantcast
Huawei CFO arrested Vancouver. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Huawei CFO arrested Vancouver.

Default Huawei CFO arrested Vancouver.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...-cfo-1.4934269

Kirin chip is too good, making USA look like its standing still.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

"A spokesperson for the Chinese embassy in Ottawa released a statement protesting Meng's arrest, which it said "seriously harmed" her "human rights." " and if anyone knows human rights abuses it's China
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Flexing. I can imagine if China arrested Steve Jobs because he did business with Austrailia or Tibet (theoretical) there would be little grounds for it.

Luckily it never happened. USA forgets to look in the mirror before they do things, and are definitely heading the way of fascism. The way I see it, is that if you build 30,000 nukes an don't use them, you have to at the very least occasionally arrest people to still show dominance. A thug is not an effective thug unless they flex every once in a while.

The USA as a global business partner is pretty much untrustworthy - Just to reiterate. The low price in Canadian heavy oil was no doubt engineered by the USA to gain temporary trade advantage. I mean as soon as you start doing tariffs on goods, you aren't even bothering to hide it.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-06-2018 at 06:18 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand how this can happen

The US can have citizens of other countries arrested in Canada for being part of a company that is under suspicion of violating a trade sanction?

How do they even have legal jurisdiction over this person? Or how is Canada able to act on behalf of the US in this kind of case?
    Hmm, I don't think that is quite right. There will obviously be charges announced shortly.

Also, Interpol as an example of this happening all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I don't understand how this can happen

The US can have citizens of other countries arrested in Canada for being part of a company that is under suspicion of violating a trade sanction?

How do they even have legal jurisdiction over this person? Or how is Canada able to act on behalf of the US in this kind of case?
    Same way they extradite people for all sorts of crimes. It's not Panama, we have agreements with other countries.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fuck yeah
    Name:  Screenshot_20181206-065842_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  53.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Interesting precedent, but there isn't enough information, and the publication ban is apparently the CFO's request.

I do know that the conduct for which extradition is sought must be considered criminal in both the requesting country and in Canada. And I don't think Canada or the UN has any economic sanctions against Iran currently.

If Huwaei supplied technology for nuclear development, that could play a role.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The Huawei threat has been going on forever. Here's a decent summary of it:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...t-tech-company

Huawei was blamed for the downfall of our very own Nortel as well through industrial espionage. They were busted for copying Cisco, and is accused of being so ingrained into Nortel that they were able to be steps ahead of them in every way. Nortel had complained to the RCMP about Huawei as far back as 2004 but the RCMP and CSIS had zero technology, tools, or skills to investigate hacking at the time.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I wonder if swat came to her house, disrespected her entire family because someone narc’ed her out?

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    I wonder if swat came to her house, disrespected her entire family because someone narc’ed her out?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

Huawei was blamed for the downfall of our very own Nortel as well through industrial espionage. They were busted for copying Cisco, and is accused of being so ingrained into Nortel that they were able to be steps ahead of them in every way. Nortel had complained to the RCMP about Huawei as far back as 2004 but the RCMP and CSIS had zero technology, tools, or skills to investigate hacking at the time.
    Good article and very much in line with what I already knew - this event is just a political stunt.

Everyone spies on everyone -> Americans spy on Chinese and Chinese spy on Americans - oh wait, AMERICANS DONT LIKE THIS - WE MUST BAN CHINESE TECH (except, pretty much all tech is manufactured in SE asia).

American tech companies are in bed with the American government, and the Chinese tech companies same.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post

China should use that hardware spy software in all iPhones and shut down all the iPhones, that'll learn those ungrateful colonists

Yeah but... She isn't the actual hacker. She might not have been born or working for the company at the time some of the alleged spying happened. Might not have even given the "ok".

Its a big stretch to say "chain of command" on something you can't even prove.

But yes in general: Everyone spies on everyone else. America does it too, but that doesn't mean you can go around kidnapping American CFO because you think he/she might have hired a hacker 10 years ago. Or is that now fair game?

Not sure if its mentioned in any of the links above, but I found it interesting that she is also the daughter of the companies founder.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...06-p50kjq.html

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by blueToy View Post
    Not sure if its mentioned in any of the links above, but I found it interesting that she is also the daughter of the companies founder.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...06-p50kjq.html
    This is why stock crashed today because this is personal.

ZTE is accused of the same thing and nobody was arrested, just cost them $1B.

The Us or them mentality either we win or we create a huge technological advanced enemy bloc that we get left behind in the west.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-06-2018 at 01:11 PM.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

In that few months when Huawei and Nortel worked together, they had a data sharing program. There was literally built a direct connection between the networks that was unsecured on the Nortel side. The security staff that did the implementation brought up concerns prior to implementation but were overruled by management and told to leave it open. The network guys knew the drain was happening but were told to ignore it. Later, when the DND bought the former Nortel Campus in Ottawa, they did a standard security sweep. It was bugged up the wazoo. DND had to gut the building to the studs to finally clean it.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by codetrap View Post
    In that few months when Huawei and Nortel worked together, they had a data sharing program. There was literally built a direct connection between the networks that was unsecured on the Nortel side. The security staff that did the implementation brought up concerns prior to implementation but were overruled by management and told to leave it open. .
    Follow the money - who in management got paid off for this?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by codetrap View Post
    In that few months when Huawei and Nortel worked together, they had a data sharing program. There was literally built a direct connection between the networks that was unsecured on the Nortel side. The security staff that did the implementation brought up concerns prior to implementation but were overruled by management and told to leave it open. The network guys knew the drain was happening but were told to ignore it. Later, when the DND bought the former Nortel Campus in Ottawa, they did a standard security sweep. It was bugged up the wazoo. DND had to gut the building to the studs to finally clean it.
    Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Follow the money - who in management got paid off for this?
    Too hard to tell, considering the huge # of people that left Nortel ended up at Huawei.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Hope they werent paid in Nortel stock options .... LOL

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast