Quantcast
LED Light Bulb Interfering with Garage Door Opener? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LED Light Bulb Interfering with Garage Door Opener?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've had no interference issues at all, and my lights are always on. 8 LEDs on the ceiling between 2 fixtures, and one LED bulb on the opener itself. All Philips LEDs if it matters. Chamberlain here too.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've had no interference issues at all, and my lights are always on. 8 LEDs on the ceiling between 2 fixtures, and one LED bulb on the opener itself. All Philips LEDs if it matters. Chamberlain here too.
    Weird... it was Phillips LEDs that caused issues on mine. Is your bulb on the side of the receiver board or on the other side? In my case i put an LED on both sides so maybe that's why it affected me.

But anyways after almost a week using incandescents, things are working much better. It always works first try as it should. My outdoor keypad also works more reliably too.

I wonder if it might be worth trying an antenna extender and move the antenna away from the lights?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I only have 1 bulb on my opener.

I was contemplating upgrading my opener to a belt drive unit, but now I'm having second thoughts with the problems you guys are seeing with LEDs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Used LED bulbs for my Chamberlain as well for over 6 months before I started to notice interference and not responding to my Homelink on my Ram 1500. It worked fine on the Acura RDX homelink but just wouldn't respond to the one in my Ram. Changed it back out to the regular bulbs and works better now. Going to try that antenna extension as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redevil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Used LED bulbs for my Chamberlain as well for over 6 months before I started to notice interference and not responding to my Homelink on my Ram 1500. It worked fine on the Acura RDX homelink but just wouldn't respond to the one in my Ram. Changed it back out to the regular bulbs and works better now. Going to try that antenna extension as well.
    I also watched a few YouTube videos of guys using coax cable to extend the antennas to provide shielding from the EM radiation. Might be a cheap option. I don’t know the mechanics behind doing that, I think in some cases you might have to solder to the board. My linear has an external antenna wire I could easily solder/connect to but looking at some openers, especially the dual light ones I don’t see external antennas so might be a bit more difficult

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I did another test the other night. I had my basement led lights dimmed about half way and my wife called from outside the garage saying that the door wouldn't open. Instead of turning off the lights, I cranked them up to full brightness and then she was able to open the door no problem. There must be something about being dimmed that causes extra interference.

My Ride
    4x4

It's not the Chamberlain that's the issue, it's doing as intended - ignoring the EM radiation being put out by the cheap LEDs.

Probably why rage2 has no issue.

Not exactly a new issue - goes back to CFL era - the chepa ones also caused range issues. Since Homeland took back that frequency (what was it 315mhz?) From the gdo world, and they had to go higher - you've had more issues with interference - same reason why wind/freedom/shaw whatever they are now get worse reception inside buildings than the legacy carriers who have access to the lower frequencies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2