Quantcast
Alberta Separatism is starting to go mainstream - Page 24 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Separatism is starting to go mainstream

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tried it after watching some barely science chick on Joe Rogan. Saw nothing for myself after a couple moths. Then asked my doctor and he said only preliminary research there suggests much longer fasts, like days might have benefits on inflammatory markers and such things. Hours do nothing aparantly.
    And there you have it folks, anecdotal evidence and a random non specialized "expert" is good enough when it supports his opinion just not when it opposes it.

You literally couldn't write this shit, try the fish!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Judging from the volume of your activity in the Trump thread, you haven't arrived at an accurate assessment of your snowflake-ness.
    I feel personally attacked as a heavy volume poster in the trump thread. Can someone show this snowflake where the safe space thread is?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I feel personally attacked as a heavy volume poster in the trump thread. Can someone show this snowflake where the safe space thread is?
    Oh don't worry, I will be a heavy user there too in 2020 if he wins again. It will be spectacular.

Oh don't worry, I will be a heavy user there too in 2020 if he wins again. It will be spectacular.
    *when he wins again
    Last edited by sabad66; 10-30-2019 at 07:54 PM.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    And there you have it folks, anecdotal evidence and a random non specialized "expert" is good enough when it supports his opinion just not when it opposes it.

You literally couldn't write this shit, try the fish!
    A couple of things. You know less than zero about my health and my doctor's specialization.

You also just insinuated that random forum economics PhDs also know more about health than a medical doctor of any type.

Fascinating.

GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Pretty sure discussing Tomas mental health issues could justify its own forum. Just like Gestalt. Oh wait.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/marc...5HaAXHYlk2ZSkc

The group behind the political movement “Wexit” applied for official party status Monday, its leader said.

Peter Downing told CTV’s Your Morning that Wexit Alberta had taken the first steps to becoming a federal party and filed paperwork with Elections Canada.
    Interesting development- although I don't view this as a serious attempt at a political party. Rather it appears to be a way to disrupt the Conservative vote. It does identify a weakness in the Conservative party...they can assume some large number of seats but don't really have to deliver any policies to those seats. Now that there is a protest vote available, it could be a threat.

My Ride
    Silverado

My biggest concern is that a few whackjobs got out there first and there is significant credibility damage.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/marc...5HaAXHYlk2ZSkc

Interesting development- although I don't view this as a serious attempt at a political party. Rather it appears to be a way to disrupt the Conservative vote. It does identify a weakness in the Conservative party...they can assume some large number of seats but don't really have to deliver any policies to those seats. Now that there is a protest vote available, it could be a threat.
    Can we have a 1 on 1 debate between the Wexit party and the Rhino party next election.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    My biggest concern is that a few whackjobs got out there first and there is significant credibility damage.
    I do think a prairie party could serve us well federally ... but the second they mention leaving I'd be out.

My Ride
    ute

The Wexit movement will probably attract the entirety of the demographic you would consider "wackjobs". You should check out the wexit facebook page. It's pretty funny. But it is a logical fallacy to draw conclusions about an idea based on who places themself inside the "big tent" of the idea. Don't forget, Canada has far, far more left-wing wack jobs than it does right-wing wack jobs.

My Ride
    Silverado

The Wexit movement will probably attract the entirety of the demographic you would consider "wackjobs". You should check out the wexit facebook page. It's pretty funny. But it is a logical fallacy to draw conclusions about an idea based on who places themself inside the "big tent" of the idea. Don't forget, Canada has far, far more left-wing wack jobs than it does right-wing wack jobs.
    Great point. I wasn't overly clear, but I was referring to the leadership of the wexit group, I'm guessing it is not run by typical 'bleached asshole' politicians.

My Ride
    ute

Great point. I wasn't overly clear, but I was referring to the leadership of the wexit group, I'm guessing it is not run by typical 'bleached asshole' politicians.
    It doesn't seem to be. Downing is definitely not a typical politician - but that may be in a good way. He's probably what a politician was supposed to look like when the Americans described it being by-the-people back in the day. Politics is often driven by people who have not had real jobs, and are not the best and the brightest. In that regard, they are all versions of JT.

If separation really wants to get off the ground though, it will need one of those professional politicians/performers that will transition it from a grass-roots populist movement to something that the pearl-clutching, risk-averse public can actually not be convinced to vote for in scale. Kenney isn't that - he's not a westerner, and he almost certainly has federal designs (although I think he has zero chance of success federally). Someone like Brad Wall, although I doubt he does it in Alberta without a combination of the two provinces - but I doubt he does it at all. It would need to be someone with his stature that thinks being the head of a prairie country is of higher stature than his current position or potential. I suppose an alternative is someone from the private sector that has the popularity to pull it off.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    I don't have anyone on ignore because I'm not a snowflake that can't handle other people's opinions.
    At some point one should take a look at some of the posts (and I'm talking about the trolls) and come to the conclusion that their typings are nothing but adhominen attacks and just the same, closed opinion mindset and hate.

These are not relevant opinions to a discussion.

Zenflops is a good example of someone who posts 97% crackhead stuff, but on occasion something reasonable comes out - but also the poster is never attacking anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I do think a prairie party could serve us well federally
    Re-Refooooooooooorm Party. "Give us 10 years until we want to unite the right...again"

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Re-Refooooooooooorm Party. "Give us 10 years until we want to unite the right...again"
    Yep. They were naive to think that their goals could be accomplished within Confederation.

The pseudo-colonial nature of Confederation is by design, not by accident. The western provinces will never be able to defend their interests properly. It works okay (not great) when the West is left alone and simply have money taken from them. But now that the threat is more existential, the reality of the situation is also more clear.

My Ride
    ute

https://business.financialpost.com/d...#comments-area

Alberta must adopt Quebec’s playbook and become a “nation” within a nation or threaten to leave. The ballot box does not work and Alberta is Canada’s breadwinner, but is treated like a stepchild.

Step one is for Alberta to demand the immediate construction of the TMX pipeline and the scrapping of Bills C-48 and C-69. No delays.

Then Alberta should stage a referendum before Christmas 2019 on opting out of, or revamping, Canada’s unjust equalization system. (Since 2010, Ottawa has taken an average of over $20 billion a year out of Alberta; Quebec receives $13 billion, or two-thirds of every dollar in the federal equalization program.) It’s a bribe to Quebec with Alberta money which is why Justin Trudeau recently extended the system to 2024 — an extension which should be nullified.

Some say such a referendum won’t force renegotiation, but it cannot be ignored either. Referenda have provided Quebec with leverage.

Then Alberta must take steps toward autonomy: Withdraw from the Canada Pension Plan, subsidized heavily by the province due to its high incomes and youthful demographics. Quebec did this in 1966. If Alberta withdrew, its workers and employers would pay half the CPP premiums they now pay and the rest of Canada would have to pay at least 10 per cent more. Alberta would then get tens of billions from its share of the $440-billion CPP fund to invest in new projects.

Alberta should, as Quebec did, take control from the federal government of all tax collection, border control, policing and immigration in return for lower taxes. It should serve notice to Ottawa that it is opting out of any new health and social programs, thus keeping the money in Alberta. (In 2015, the NDP proposed to let Quebec alone do this).

Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba should warn the Trudeau government that punitive carbon taxes on provinces unwilling to go along with their draconian climate change policy, won’t be obeyed. This is in their “national interest” and could cost as much as $35 billion a year, bankrupting many of western Canada’s industries and farms. Ontario’s too.

Next, Alberta must sponsor two projects, initiated by First Nations: One carrying oil by rail or pipeline from the oilsands to Valdez and another carrying oil by pipeline from Alberta to British Columbia, then Alaska. Both projects would follow routes pre-approved by local First Nations, bypassing Ottawa’s meddling completely. Then Alberta must work with Manitoba to establish a pipeline and oil port in Churchill to ship oil to the east coast or Europe. All projects are viable that Alberta and investors could finance.

The election of 2019 illustrates that the current political system will never unseat the Liberals and the Laurentian elites of Ottawa, Montreal and Rosedale. They are smug and powerful and floating on a sea of oil and resource cash. Their operatives control the federal government, the Senate, its crown corporations, agencies, banks, regulated industries, corporate friendlies and the Liberal party.

Alberta is captive to a system that economically strangles and disenfranchises its enterprising people even though it is, on its own, the fourth largest oil producer in the world — after the U.S., Russia and Saudi Arabia. Its economy is the same size as Quebec’s, and combined with Saskatchewan is nearly 20 per cent bigger. It is Canada’s single engine of economic growth now and in the future.

Finally, the Tories should table in Parliament the following for approval which was approved on behalf of Quebec: “That this House recognize that Alberta and Saskatchewan form a nation within a united Canada.”

That’s what Stephen Harper did for Quebec as prime minister. It’s now what Trudeau must do for Alberta and Saskatchewan.

If not, then separation is inevitable.

Financial Post
    Let's dump some tea into the harbour while we're at it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

https://business.financialpost.com/d...#comments-area

Let's dump some tea into the harbour while we're at it.
    Step one is for Alberta to demand the immediate construction of the TMX pipeline and the scrapping of Bills C-48 and C-69. No delays.
    Because clearly thats an option and we just haven't asked yet. Silly politicians.

Expanding the civil service to be paying two agencies to do one job? Fuck Quebec would be proud.

Still have to change who you vote for consistently, otherwise why would any party give a fuck?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Because clearly thats an option and we just haven't asked yet. Silly politicians.
    Nobody in this thread would have a tantrum over the breach of the judicial branch's powers to start ramming construction through, not one.

My Ride
    Bicycle

#wexit is all talk until they start building terrorist cells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Crisis

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Expanding the civil service to be paying two agencies to do one job? Fuck Quebec would be proud.

Still have to change who you vote for consistently, otherwise why would any party give a fuck?

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody in this thread would have a tantrum over the breach of the judicial branch's powers to start ramming construction through, not one.
    Dont need to. Legislate a change to the approval process.

Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast