Quantcast
Ryzen 3000 Series - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ryzen 3000 Series

Default Ryzen 3000 Series

I've been reading all the Ryzen 3000 rumors lately and if this is true Intel is going to be pissed:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...6-cores-rumor/

Ryzen3: 6C/12T @ 4.0-4.3 GHz for $99-129 USD

Ryzen5: 8C/16T @ 4.4-4.8 GHz for $178-$229 USD

Ryzen7: 12C/24T @ 4.6-5.0 GHz for $299-$329 USD

Ryzen9: 16C/32T @ 4.7-5.1 GHz for $449-$499 USD

G series CPUs also getting a clock speed bump + Navi graphics.

Those are probably single core turbos, but all history suggests you can very easily OC the CPU to run all cores at the single core turbo frequency - and AMD solders the IHS even on mainstream models unlike most Intel CPUs. Honestly I would probably swap my i7 7820X for that Ryzen9 if the specs are true. For my usage the performance increase would be over double.

Hopefully announced at CES in January. All major websites are reporting the same so hopefully it's true.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-07-2018 at 11:49 AM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

I saw the same headlines that you did and got instantly hyped. If AMD is able to deliver on those rumors, then great, I'll upgrade my main rig to Ryzen 3000 series.

Realistically though, the points made in this Hardware Unboxed video are pretty sound IMO and help bring us back to planet Earth a little bit.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The 3600g would make a great super budget gaming machine. Pretty excited. My 2400g runs cad (fusion360) passably but a tiny bump in power would make life way better

My Ride
    06 S2000

Might be a good upgrade over my i7-5820k
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I'm still on an old 4670k. The Ryzen5 looks like it would be a great bump over that.

Since I only game, single core performance is key, and I have a feeling AMD will fall down in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    I saw the same headlines that you did and got instantly hyped. If AMD is able to deliver on those rumors, then great, I'll upgrade my main rig to Ryzen 3000 series.

Realistically though, the points made in this Hardware Unboxed video are pretty sound IMO and help bring us back to planet Earth a little bit.
    I am skeptical as well, but I really hope they deliver. I love AMD as a company. I'm thinking the high GHz numbers (if real) are single core turbo with XFR, but if that is the case, you will for sure be able to OC the whole CPU to that level. Seems almost too good to be true, but fingers crossed. Intel sells OEM CPUs at 5GHz and you've been able to OC them to 5GHz+ for years with cheap coolers, so hopefully AMD is close.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-10-2018 at 10:01 AM.

I could see going all in on a Ryzen 9 16/32. 7nm technology might be with us for a very long time.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Won't get my hopes up until spec and price is released.

I have a feeling that AMD is kicking Intel ass so bad that they may start to price things accordingly.

AMD's Chief Tech Officer said to expect 25% gains from the outgoing generations with the new 7nm process, which would put them right in line with the rumors all else equal. I really hope they pull it off - Intel has been taking advantage of its monopoly for too long and simply being reactionary isn't good for anyone (except Intel haha). Apparently Intel's 10nm process is still more dense than AMD's 7nm process.

Looks like the rumors were largely true, Ryzen 3000 series showing a massive improvement over 2000 series and matches or beats Intel's latest at much lower price points in most things except 1080p gaming. 1440p (GPU limited) and content creation seems to favor AMD.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1869...x-ryzen-3700x/

OC room looks to be limited, however.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I'm really excited. It looks like Intel/GeForce still have the edge on 4k gaming, but for entry/mid level, this looks like hands down best bang for buck, especially paired with the new AMD RX5700 cards. This is likely going to be my next rig setup, first time I've stepped away from intel since my AMD K-6 450 in the late 90's.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    I'm really excited. It looks like Intel/GeForce still have the edge on 4k gaming, but for entry/mid level, this looks like hands down best bang for buck, especially paired with the new AMD RX5700 cards. This is likely going to be my next rig setup, first time I've stepped away from intel since my AMD K-6 450 in the late 90's.
    Yeah Nvidia seems to have a solid upper hand on the GPU front (and quite a few programs are specifically written/optimized for Nvidia GPUs, particularly in the content creation world), but AMD is still competing on price there and they still make a very good GPU.

If AMD keeps this up I will probably be switching for my next build as well. The 12c/24t 4.6Ghz 3900X is ridiculous value at $699 (Same price as Intel 8c/16t 9900K) and the upcoming 3950x 16c/32t 4.7Ghz probably even more so. The closest equivalent Intel part is $2,800 and the 3950x will be around a third of that price.

Even the new Ryzen 5's can hang with the Intel 9700K/9900K at a much lower price point depending on the benchmark.

I'm building a mITX HTPC around the 3400G now that it supports 4K HDCP and therefore 4K Netflix.

I'm currently on an Intel 7820X OC'd to 4.6Ghz but if I can double my core count without losing any speed without spending $3K on the processor alone, I will be all over that - most of what I do in Photoshop benefits from as many cores/threads as possible.

Honestly I love seeing AMD tighten the screws on Intel, they have had the luxury of a grossly overpriced monopoly for way too long now. AMD is also including even better coolers with their CPUs for free, further increasing their value by whatever cooler you would otherwise have to buy, and they are soldering most if not all 3000 series IHS now, even on the cheaper CPUs and APUs. My $800 7820X doesn't even have a soldered IHS and $150 Ryzen CPUs do.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-09-2019 at 10:46 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

The motherboard fans have killed it for me for now. Very good value for the money though and also the 5700 & 5700XT as well seeing the prices of the nvidia supers. Kind of want to build a small carry around PC with Ryzen.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    The motherboard fans have killed it for me for now. Very good value for the money though and also the 5700 & 5700XT as well seeing the prices of the nvidia supers. Kind of want to build a small carry around PC with Ryzen.
    What do you mean by mobo fans?

As for a small carry-around PC, that is exactly what I am doing - Ryzen 3400G in a Cooler Master Elite 110 mITX case, basically 1 cubic foot for a capable gaming/HTPC rig, and you could throw in a better discrete GPU if needed. It's actually a phenomenal little case, and even takes an ATX power supply which is super convenient.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    What do you mean by mobo fans?
    x570 boards have a fan for the chipset because of PCI 4.0.

Though sounds like you should be find running a b450 or x470 board and not have to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
    x570 boards have a fan for the chipset because of PCI 4.0.

Though sounds like you should be find running a b450 or x470 board and not have to deal with it.
    Oh, those - yeah not every X570 mobo has a fan if it an issue for some people. It is a 15W chipset compared to most others which are 5W, hence the need for most substantial cooling. For example the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570 doesn't have a fan, and I am sure it won't be long until all the major manufacturers come up with a fan-less solution for their higher end boards. I don't see it as that big of a deal though, especially if it's relatively easy to replace if necessary (should be) and the fan curves are also user-controllable.

You probably don't really need X570 at all though unless you need PCI 4.0, which I imagine pretty much nobody does at this juncture. A B450 board will be fine for most people and is still very feature rich, not to mention dirt cheap - you just don't get SLI which isn't very popular anymore anyway. Lots of people have big OC's on B450 boards too.

From everything I've seen so far I don't really see any big reasons to buy an X570 board for the 3000 series anyway. If you need a high end board with the best VRMs an X470 board should be just fine too.

My mobo has a tiny fan (40mm) for the M2 SSD and I can't hear it nor have I ever had any issues with it (or read about anyone else having issues), but anything that moves is another failure point I suppose. Replacement fans are in the $12-15 range so a total non-issue.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^As far as I know, I have only seen 1 asrock board that has no fan (water cooled), the others just hide it well. Some of the fans are like 2500 rpm as well and are super loud. Some have been lowered with bios updates though. They are tiny and inaccessible, so I think replacing it would be difficult. If I do one, I would prefer to water cool it. I would want the pci4 to future proof and get one of the new NVME.

^^As far as I know, I have only seen 1 asrock board that has no fan (water cooled), the others just hide it well. Some of the fans are like 2500 rpm as well and are super loud. Some have been lowered with bios updates though. They are tiny and inaccessible, so I think replacing it would be difficult. If I do one, I would prefer to water cool it. I would want the pci4 to future proof and get one of the new NVME.
    As I mentioned above, the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570 board is completely fan-less. It uses a heat sink and a heat pipe. Most of the boards I have seen with fans so far allow user-selectable curves in the bios so you don't have to have the fan running at full tilt all day. I get that it's better to have no fan though, and because that seems to be the general public response, you can bet more fan-less boards are coming.

Anyway, you can buy a higher-end X570 board without a fan right now, or just go B450/X470 if you can do without PCI 4.0 and just upgrade down the road if necessary - the B450 boards in particular are so incredibly cheap, you could just use one in the interim until PCI 4.0 becomes more mainstream. You can buy "Gaming" edition B450 boards right now from the major brands for $100-125. The ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 is $101. X470 starts around $155 for a decent board. In 2-3 years if you still think you need PCI 4.0 just swap out the board - the real world differences between 3500 MB/s and 5000 MB/s on a NVME drive are likely going to be zero unless you have 2 of them and are moving enormous files between them all the time. Current GPUs aren't even close to maxing out a PCI 3.0 x16 slot either - a 2080Ti can run at 100% in only a x8 PCI 3.0 slot. You should be safe for a while

My Ride
    Grimace

Whoops, I can't read sorry. I hate noise so that is why I water cool everything now with many fans at low RPM. I think if I want to build a fun little computer anyways the small mobos are pretty slim pickins for now anyways. I think my fun desktop project for the summer will just be a new case instead and always more ssds.

Whoops, I can't read sorry. I hate noise so that is why I water cool everything now with many fans at low RPM. I think if I want to build a fun little computer anyways the small mobos are pretty slim pickins for now anyways. I think my fun desktop project for the summer will just be a new case instead and always more ssds.
    Yeah I bought a Mini ITX case and mobos are very few and far between, not to mention expensive, compared to both micro ATX and ATX. You can buy a fully featured ATX X470 board for the same price as a mid-range mITX B450 board.

How do you keep the noise down on your AIO? Or do you make custom loops? AIO's are usually louder than something like a Noctua NH-D15 and if you hide it in a sound deadened case, virtually silent. The only time I can hear my PC is if the fans go to max or if my GPU fan runs at max, and I have to be trying to hear it haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast