Quantcast
Will Notley Change the Fixed Election Date Law? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Notley Change the Fixed Election Date Law?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Will Notley Change the Fixed Election Date Law?

Interesting, a poll was on facebook from Kenney asking when Albertans wanted the election to happen, the 1st day it can or the last day it can within the fixed election rules of the Alberta Election Act.

Of course, politicians being politicians, he then said that if she broke the act (or I suppose legislated change to it), by law we could have to wait until May of 2020.

So, what do you think? We're talking about power hungry politicians here after all, I'd almost think a party, regardless of what side of the isle they are on, would do it. However, I'm curious if this could lead to actual riots in Alberta. I could honestly see people starting to target her if they tried that bullshit. People are MAD.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Politicians have always chose election dates based on maximizing thier chances of re-election. If Notley thought changing the legislation was likely to get her government reelected, she'd be crazy not to do it.

But my read on the situation is that it would be worse for her. I haven't seen any recent polls, but I'd guess her popularity is at a temporary high. So sooner would be my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I'm curious if this could lead to actual riots in Alberta. I could honestly see people starting to target her if they tried that bullshit. People are MAD.
    are more people mad, or are the people that were already mad just more mad? From a vote perspective, if it's the second, that's irrelevant.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    something green

Hmm, not sure if Notley would do that or not. I interact with a lot of different people in both private and public sectors and the majority of people in conversation want her gone pronto. Gad, you'd think she has to know that with the polls of late.
    She has a few defenders I run into but they reminisce more of Notley's debate performance rather than her actual reign. Not that long ago, some people I know would excuse her economic performance because of some of her social policy, but I've seen people swing those positions now as the reality sets in, especially in Calgary's downtown and their own employment situation becomes tenuous.
    Too loud for Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Interesting, a poll was on facebook from Kenney asking when Albertans wanted the election to happen, the 1st day it can or the last day it can within the fixed election rules of the Alberta Election Act.

Of course, politicians being politicians, he then said that if she broke the act (or I suppose legislated change to it), by law we could have to wait until May of 2020.

So, what do you think? We're talking about power hungry politicians here after all, I'd almost think a party, regardless of what side of the isle they are on, would do it. However, I'm curious if this could lead to actual riots in Alberta. I could honestly see people starting to target her if they tried that bullshit. People are MAD.
    Man I really think you are underestimating how close the election will be.

My Ride
    Silverado

The election won't be close. Edmonton can vote for her as much as they want, doesn't matter. They have very little rural or Calgary support.
    Assuming there was no vote split and everyone voted for 1 Conservative party in the last election the NDP would have had 28 fewer seats and would be opposition.

It would be tough to say that the United conservatives have pushed more people out than there are people who regret voting NDP.

Orange flush. 100%
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 12-10-2018 at 09:45 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    Hmm, not sure if Notley would do that or not. I interact with a lot of different people in both private and public sectors and the majority of people in conversation want her gone pronto. Gad, you'd think she has to know that with the polls of late.
    She has a few defenders I run into but they reminisce more of Notley's debate performance rather than her actual reign. Not that long ago, some people I know would excuse her economic performance because of some of her social policy, but I've seen people swing those positions now as the reality sets in, especially in Calgary's downtown and their own employment situation becomes tenuous.
    Interesting. In the conversations you have with public sectors, are they in favour of Notley? Also are you finding many of the NDP supporters women(mid 20-30's)..? Im interested in the demographics.

In my conversations I find the NDP supporters are the ones that have either very good job security or they don't know how to budget their personal finances.

To answer OP's question, I think she might hold it earlier otherwise election creep will kick in. Economy might be worse later.
    Or on the flip side if she holds it later, she might start introducing cuts to sway middle voters.

My Ride
    Silverado

Edmonton is full of fat cat public pensioners. Not much support outside of them.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Here's what some people think:
    Name:  Screenshot_20181210-210658_Chrome.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  33.5 KB

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Im interested in the demographics.
    Lots of woman. Social workers, nurses, teachers, etc. Edmonton is a hive for this stuff.

Lots of guys too. The NDP added 50K+ government jobs since taking power, you can bet your ass every single one of those people is a NDP voter, with easily 50% of those positions being in Edmonton. All the major union headquarters are here as well, and those guys are fucking crazy, hardcore NDP voters.

I have no doubt that Edmonton will maintain a sizeable amount of NDP representation in the core as people up here are delusional. Luckily, first past the post should see them still be decimated. UCP will get 60%+ of the seats in the legislature though, so no, its not going to be close.

As for people being mad, well of course its the ones who would be more likely to be mad to begin with. You think in France there aren't Macron supporters who aren't out rioting? Of course there are. Doesn't matter though when 25%+ of the population decides to burn the place down. Anger of the extremists when it comes to being mad is a barometer for how the general populace is feeling.

Kenny as leader is going to force people to vote for another party. It’s just the way it is. I see a small majority or minority government in the next election. Could be UCP or NDP. I really don’t like Kenny. But likely voting UCP anyway.

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Interesting. In the conversations you have with public sectors, are they in favour of Notley? Also are you finding many of the NDP supporters women(mid 20-30's)..? Im interested in the demographics.

In my conversations I find the NDP supporters are the ones that have either very good job security or they don't know how to budget their personal finances.

To answer OP's question, I think she might hold it earlier otherwise election creep will kick in. Economy might be worse later.
    Or on the flip side if she holds it later, she might start introducing cuts to sway middle voters.
    No, there are public sector people that have had enough of Notley, usually because their spouse or relatives are unemployed and are also feeling the pinch of higher costs. I brought up the carbon tax with a school principal and it set her off on a 20 minute rant about what its done to the boards budgets. The tax has hurt the boards, and they know they aren't saving the planet nor gaining any social license to move the economy forward. The NDP isn't being that succesful as a small guy labour party anymore, as born out by that last set of polls. Also the Robyn Luff episode, I think is a reflection of that. People in her riding are feeling it, they go to her and she gets the same drivel Notley says in the media. The support coming out of wealthy parts of Edmonton shows the little sliver they still appeal to, the highest of the high provincial government employees.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Kenny as leader is going to force people to vote for another party. It’s just the way it is. I see a small majority or minority government in the next election. Could be UCP or NDP. I really don’t like Kenny. But likely voting UCP anyway.
    Minority would likely be best for the next one in my mind. The UCP still needs to realize what year it is..

hoping that the NDP can at least get the Bighorn thing done. If they can get two new parks (Castle and Bighorn), they've done a hell of a lot more then the PCs ever could in 4 years on the outdoor file.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm surprised I haven't heard more about that bighorn park. Seems like a pretty big deal to me.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Minority would likely be best for the next one in my mind. The UCP still needs to realize what year it is..

hoping that the NDP can at least get the Bighorn thing done. If they can get two new parks (Castle and Bighorn), they've done a hell of a lot more then the PCs ever could in 4 years on the outdoor file.
    Closing a huge area used for free (and already protected environmentally) to push towards commercial development is the worst thing the NDP has done with our land.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Closing a huge area used for free (and already protected environmentally) to push towards commercial development is the worst thing the NDP has done with our land.
    They haven't closed a thing. There is no pay-to-access at either of these areas. Show me the commercial development.

If you're referring to closing off OHVing in the Castle, I feel zero pity. That place was Mad-Maxian, and a showing of complete lack of respect for the country. Get off the OHV, and suddenly its not closed...

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I feel the same way... Id be voting for UCP if Kenny WASN'T involved, I think hes a complete piece of garbage. While they may have the better economic policies, I wont vote for them if it comes at the expense of peoples rights.
    Not going NDP by any means.. guess that Leaves the Alberta Party.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    I feel the same way... Id be voting for UCP if Kenny WASN'T involved, I think hes a complete piece of garbage. While they may have the better economic policies, I wont vote for them if it comes at the expense of peoples rights.
    Not going NDP by any means.. guess that Leaves the Alberta Party.
    Which rights is the UCP going to remove. I constantly hear the argument, but no one can point to any actual party policy that removes rights from people
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Which rights is the UCP going to remove. I constantly hear the argument, but no one can point to any actual party policy that removes rights from people
    The rights that allow some people to have more rights than others... in the name of equality, of course.

Geez. People voting to protect 2-3% of the population from boogeymen when it has no affect on them personally. Yet the masses suffer economically, but who gives a fuck.
    Last edited by phreezee; 12-11-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast