Quantcast
Will Notley Change the Fixed Election Date Law? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Will Notley Change the Fixed Election Date Law?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it is. By literal definition of infringement, it is.

Protecting them from what? Words?
    It moved the protest down the street. they did not say 'no protests'. By the definition of infringement, sure, but actually impacting them, hardly.
    And ya, protecting people from verbal abuse during an emotionally demanding situation, is worth doing.

I think you're my Gestalt..
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 12-12-2018 at 12:41 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    It moved the protest down the street. By the definition of infringement, sure, but actually impacting them, hardly.
    It does. They are protesting abortions. When someone wants to protest legislation, where do they go? To the legislature. It is taking away a public platform for them to state their opinion. It is a gross violation of their basic human rights, something you should be all for as a progressive.

And ya, protecting people from verbal abuse during an emotionally demanding situation, is worth doing.
    Oh lord I wonder how delicately people need to treat you in the real world that you don't turn into a blabbering pile of mush anytime someone disagrees with you? I almost want to meet you in person so I can laugh directly at you rather than behind a computer screen.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

They are still allowed to demonstrate, just not right in front of a clinic. Sorry, that's not infringing on your right to protest, it's protecting others from the stupidity of these protests.
    There was 'peaceful protests' blatantly blocking access and 'peacefully' harrasing them on the way to the clinics, forcing people around them. Hell, this makes it cheaper for the taxpayer, as they dont have to go waste court time in constantly getting injunctions.

If this doesn't sum up why I won't vote PC, even while being Pro-oil, i dunno what does..
    The problem is that your entire view on this is built on a strawman. If you're blocking access and harassing someone, those aren't legitimate forms of freedom of expression, and are already outlawed under our criminal code. More importantly, there is no evidence that either of those things were happening here. In fact, with the existing 50m ban, that barred pro-lifers from the sidewalk outside of the clinic and the parking lot. If you ever drove by the Kensington clinic, you would see that the protesters were on the other side of the street. How could they block access and criminally harass people, if they weren't even allowed on the same side of the street as the clinic and parking lot?

Western societies were founded upon the premise that you could peacefully express your opinion, and our charter of rights and freedoms acknowledge that. Telling people they are banned from voicing their opinion in the public space, isn't compatible with that. Is it only pro-lifers you feel should be banned from expressing their opinions, or is it anyone who disagrees with you? Where do you draw the line where it is okay for some to express their opinion but not others?

With all due respect, if you think because a Conservative is standing up for the rights for people to express their opinion in the public space, is enough for you to note vote PC, you probably shouldn't even have considered the Conservative party in the first place. As protecting freedom of expression, is foundational for most of what Conservative's, actually want to Conserve. Wanting to silence people you don't agree with, is much better suited to the NDP or Communist Party of Canada.

It does. They are protesting abortions. When someone wants to protest legislation, where do they go? To the legislature. It is taking away a public platform for them to state their opinion. It is a gross violation of their basic human rights, something you should be all for as a progressive.

Oh lord I wonder how delicately people need to treat you in the real world that you don't turn into a blabbering pile of mush anytime someone disagrees with you? I almost want to meet you in person so I can laugh directly at you rather than behind a computer screen.
    I'll say that is one thing I don't agree with, is bullying women outside an abortion clinic. If you want to protest your distaste with a law, then go do it at the appropriate place. Don't rip on law abiding people minding their own business. It's still their right to protest outside the clinic afaic, despite how ineffective it is. But how much of what they're doing is protesting, and how much of it is harassment? I'm guessing that is the line that was being treaded closely enough that the government felt they had to step in.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

It moved the protest down the street. they did not say 'no protests'. By the definition of infringement, sure, but actually impacting them, hardly.

I think you're my Gestalt..
    You do realize that the vast majority of pro-life work at this clinic, was to convince woman that they didn't have to kill their unborn children, and that there are other options. What exactly is it that constitutes verbal abuse? People are in emotionally demanding situations all the time, do we now get to remove the rights of everyone else who may disagree with them on something?

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I'll say that is one thing I don't agree with, is bullying women outside an abortion clinic. If you want to protest your distaste with a law, then go do it at the appropriate place. Don't rip on law abiding people minding their own business. It's still their right to protest outside the clinic afaic, despite how ineffective it is. But how much of what they're doing is protesting, and how much of it is harassment? I'm guessing that is the line that was being treaded closely enough that the government felt they had to step in.
    What constitutes bullying? Would telling a woman "that they shouldn't kill their unborn child, and that they have other options" bullying? I don't understand how expressing an opinion that "a woman shouldn't kill her unborn child" near an abortion clinic, isn't the proper place. When that is the place that is literally killing the very humans pro-lifers are trying to protect. Most of these pro-life ministries that are on the ground, have countless stories of woman who are thankful that they gave them a way out of having to kill their child.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

not worth it. Enjoy the blocked list
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 12-12-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Bill C-16 would be a good place to start looking.
    So it was your right to discriminate based on gender identity?

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    So it was your right to discriminate based on gender identity?
    Cool so you don't understand what discrimination is. This conversation just got way too low brow to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
    What constitutes bullying?
    Exactly. I've never been to a protest, so I have no idea if that's what they're doing or not. As stated in my post. I would say that blocking clinic access, physically interfering with patients, yelling in patients faces. Those would all tread that line.

Quote Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
    Would telling a woman "that they shouldn't kill their unborn child, and that they have other options" bullying? I don't understand how expressing an opinion that "a woman shouldn't kill her unborn child" near an abortion clinic, isn't the proper place. When that is the place that is literally killing the very humans pro-lifers are trying to protect. Most of these pro-life ministries that are on the ground, have countless stories of woman who are thankful that they gave them a way out of having to kill their child.
    Well then these people need to define what they're protesting, because it sounds confusing. Are they protesting that abortion is legal and shouldn't be? Or are they protesting peoples free will to choose?

Anecdotal stories don't mean shit. Guess what? There is plenty of women that are pretty thankful they got an abortion too. Irrelevant point is irrelevant.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I would say that blocking clinic access
    Already illegal

, physically interfering with patients
    Illegal, and liable to get you criminally charged and put in jail.

yelling in patients faces.
    This one has probably happened at some point or another, as since conservatives typically have jobs, its only the really off the deep-end ones without jobs that spend time at protests. However, if this is indeed happening, that is harassment, which is ALSO already illegal.

So basically, they are absolutely not just a little bit but MASSIVELY infringing on these people's rights. And yet you have no qualms with not allowing the protests? You don't get to have it both ways.

Already illegal

Illegal, and liable to get you criminally charged and put in jail.

This one has probably happened at some point or another, as since conservatives typically have jobs, its only the really off the deep-end ones without jobs that spend time at protests. However, if this is indeed happening, that is harassment, which is ALSO already illegal.

So basically, they are absolutely not just a little bit but MASSIVELY infringing on these people's rights. And yet you have no qualms with not allowing the protests? You don't get to have it both ways.
    look, don't stoop to being as retarded as these others here. Read the damn post and take it at face value. There is no reason to be trying to read between lines and come up with some alternative meaning to what I said.

YES, all those things are illegal. So as per my post, if illegal shit is happening at these protests, that would be a pretty good reason for the government to step in and say "Go the fuck down the street". That was the query I was curious about.
    Last edited by Misterman; 12-12-2018 at 02:30 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

if illegal shit is happening at these protests
    That's the problem. It really isn't. And serious "illegal shit" has to be happening to infringe on people's rights. Illegal border crossers get more leeway than abortion protesters do. That is truly fucked up.

That's the problem. It really isn't. And serious "illegal shit" has to be happening to infringe on people's rights. Illegal border crossers get more leeway than abortion protesters do. That is truly fucked up.
    Absolutely. That's why I said I still think it's their right to protest there. If there is illegal shit going on, they should be pepper spraying and arresting the Antifa wannabes and lock them up.

Cool so you don't understand what discrimination is. This conversation just got way too low brow to continue.
    You told me to look into Bill C-16. A bill that added gender identity and gender expression to the list of things you can't discriminate people on.

What else was in there?

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    You told me to look into Bill C-16. A bill that added gender identity and gender expression to the list of things you can't discriminate people on.

What else was in there?
    Perhaps making a bit of progress. So you're now understanding at least that the bill is irrelevant based on what they are promoting it as, since everyone is free from discrimination in Canada under the Charter of Rights already.

As usual, the devil is in the details and not strictly the headline you read from some liberal media source. First of all, the criminal code does not even define "Discrimination", which means it is left to the interpretation of the courts. Therefore anything you say to or about a transgender person can be subject to being called discriminatory if the person so chooses to claim that. Now your freedom of speech is in question of being illegal based on the coin flip of which judge you get if any transgender person says they ever feel discriminated by you.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    If you lined them up, you would be surprised that UCP and NDP (Alberta branch) are the same with may be 2 or 3 issues that separate them.

For me to vote UCP, it's all up to Kenney releasing his plan to get us back in black. That's the only reason to look pass everything else to vote UCP. If that plan is non-existent or not realistic, UCP won't get my vote.
    Kenney has no plan beyond sell public land and loosen car dealership rules for his buddy. If the UCP don't win, watch Kenney leave like Prentice did. Kenney didn't come back from Ottawa for you or I.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    Silverado

What dealer rules for a buddy?

What's the NDP plan? 200 billion debt?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Remember that plan the NDP had for a carbon tax, that they campaigned on?

Nobody else does, because they didn't. Always love this "they have no plan" argument. They have a plan alright, and I'm thrilled they are going to go forward with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dino_martini View Post
    Kenney has no plan beyond sell public land and loosen car dealership rules for his buddy. If the UCP don't win, watch Kenney leave like Prentice did. Kenney didn't come back from Ottawa for you or I.
    I would question how much time you actually spend engaging yourself in the political process... based on that commentary, I'm going to guess very little. That seems to be typical of a lot of people who vote liberal/NDP... find some social issue to get all outraged about and neglect paying any attention to things that matter, like the economy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast