Quantcast
Excellent Presentation on Energy - I wish Liberal/NDP/Green Voters Understood This - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Excellent Presentation on Energy - I wish Liberal/NDP/Green Voters Understood This

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But so is the leader of the provincial NDP...............
    I think it's pretty evident thats not the case. Pandering for votes or otherwise, she's pretty obviously pro-pipeline and O&G at this point

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    I'm surprised that the NDP party haven't kicked her out!

She's shifted to the right (for the benefit of Alberta, after she finally figured out we run on Oil & Gas) over the past 4 years that she's landed probably were the old PCs were!
    I always love this type of argument. "She's shifted to the right".

No, she hasn't. Typical liberal thinking, words mean something. Words mean NOTHING, actions mean something. Her actions clearly show nothing has changed in her ideology beyond trying to salvage a dead party walking. She has done zero actions of any meaningful nature to help Alberta.

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I always love this type of argument. "She's shifted to the right".

No, she hasn't. Typical liberal thinking, words mean something. Words mean NOTHING, actions mean something. Her actions clearly show nothing has changed in her ideology beyond trying to salvage a dead party walking. She has done zero actions of any meaningful nature to help Alberta.
    This is true, she can play Peter lougheed for the cameras all she wants, but action is needed and no meaningful action is taking place. The wine ban was a little bit of optics that had no bite, the turn off the taps law is being used to level a wobbly table somewhere in the Leg, and buying some eastern newspaper ads, wow that'll teach 'em.
    She can't go full steam on what really needs to be done, her party won't let her, it'll come apart at the seams, but they know lying to the public is the only chance of hanging on. They don't need oil and gas revenues to continue their agenda, they'll just rack up debt, it means nothing to them to rack up debt.
    Too loud for Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    I didnt vote PC, yet was working in oil and gas. I am 100% pro oil and pro pipeline. And wont be voting PC this time around either.
    Well, there is no 'PC' party provincially or federally any longer, so you're right, you won't be voting PC...

...and I would question why you would vote for parties that do not support development of our resources given that's your stated livelihood in question. The federal Liberals are doing everything they can to kill off the sector and the NDP is all of a sudden all O&G friendly because they have come to realize that without a robust energy sector, Alberta really fucking struggles... oh, and that darn election coming up.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I'm not convinced that if we had had a Conservative party for the last 4 years, there would have been any change in pipeline's being built and being even slightly ahead of where we are today. You think the BC lawsuits or Quebec red-tape would have gone any differently?

Well, it was the federal Conservatives who approved Northern Gateway and supported the proposed Energy East line along with TMX. It was Trudeau Liberals who killed off Energy East & Northern Gateway without any real opposition from Notley's NDP government given she cozied right up to Trudeau and has received nothing for her allegiance...

...oh, and Kinder Morgan took the money and ran away from TMX due to uncertainty created by the BC government with zero credible opposition from the NDP or Liberals... all of this hangs on non-Conservative governments.

Where exactly we would be today is anyone's guess, but I know we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now. The provincial government has failed to stand up for the energy sector in a meaningful way... we all know what Trudeau thinks of our province, his actions (sorry, lack thereof) say it all.

I think it's pretty evident thats not the case. Pandering for votes or otherwise, she's pretty obviously pro-pipeline and O&G at this point
    Yeah I mean politicians never ever say things purely to get elected. I'm sure she just did a complete 180 on everything she has stood for and valued up to this point in life.

I'm not convinced that if we had had a Conservative party for the last 4 years, there would have been any change in pipeline's being built and being even slightly ahead of where we are today. You think the BC lawsuits or Quebec red-tape would have gone any differently?
    Yes we need pipelines. Whether we would have got pipelines under a Conservative government the last 3 years is irrelevant. Liberals have stuck hurdle after hurdle in the way of Canada's success, that we wouldn't have had to deal with under the conservatives.

My Ride
    Silverado

Energy East? Didn't push for it
    Northern Gateway? Didn't push for it
    KXL? Not pushing for it.

So she is pro-pipeline? certainly not pro-pipelines...

My Ride
    V8s

This is hilarious.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by masoncgy View Post
    Well, it was the federal Conservatives who approved Northern Gateway and supported the proposed Energy East line along with TMX. It was Trudeau Liberals who killed off Energy East & Northern Gateway without any real opposition from Notley's NDP government given she cozied right up to Trudeau and has received nothing for her allegiance...

...oh, and Kinder Morgan took the money and ran away from TMX due to uncertainty created by the BC government with zero credible opposition from the NDP or Liberals... all of this hangs on non-Conservative governments.

Where exactly we would be today is anyone's guess, but I know we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now. The provincial government has failed to stand up for the energy sector in a meaningful way... we all know what Trudeau thinks of our province, his actions (sorry, lack thereof) say it all.
    I dont think for a second it would matter if she came out of the gates banging the pipeline drum that any of those pipelines would have been further along. Not one external provincial government, NGO or FN changes their mind based on the 'pushing' of a project by a different Province. I'm confused why if we had a conservative provincial government in place, why that would change any of the external political will. Show me otherwise..

Federally, I fully agree that the liberals have been shit

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This is hilarious.
    I'll take it for now, pandering or not. Would you prefer her to not be pro for the next 4 months?

My Ride
    V8s

I dont think for a second it would matter if she came out of the gates banging the pipeline drum that any of those pipelines would have been further along. Not one external provincial government, NGO or FN changes their mind based on the 'pushing' of a project by a different Province. I'm confused why if we had a conservative provincial government in place, why that would change any of the external political will. Show me otherwise..

Federally, I fully agree that the liberals have been shit

I'll take it for now, pandering or not. Would you prefer her to not be pro for the next 4 months?
    Honestly, kinda. She's not going to get anything done at this point, she's already done all the damage. The risk with her being "pro-pipeline" now is she might actually fool some voters into thinking she really is pro-pipeline/oil, and (god forbid) she'll get elected again at which point we'll be up for a bunch more years of overspending and chasing profitable businesses away from the province.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Honestly, kinda. She's not going to get anything done at this point, she's already done all the damage. The risk with her being "pro-pipeline" now is she might actually fool some voters into thinking she really is pro-pipeline/oil, and (god forbid) she'll get elected again at which point we'll be up for a bunch more years of overspending and chasing profitable businesses away from the province.

My thoughts exactly. Brent.ff has already proved there is people stupid enough to fall for her charade.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    proved there is people stupid enough
    Got that right.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Silverado

On Wednesday afternoon, federal Bill C-69 passed second reading in the Senate by a vote of 56-29.

The response from the Alberta government on this troubling news?

Crickets. Deafening silence. Inaction on an epic scale.

Officially called the Impact Assessment Act, many people in the energy industry prefer to call it Justin Trudeau’s “No More Pipelines Law”. Deron Bilous, Alberta’s economic development and trade minister, said Bill C-69 will “doom our energy sector.”

Premier Rachel Notley’s NDP government argues it has done plenty to object to Bill C-69.

The facts state otherwise.

In August of 2017, Alberta Environment Minister Shannon Phillips and Energy Minister Margaret McCuaig-Boyd wrote their federal counterparts a four-page letter initially raising concerns about what was then called the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act. It’s not a bad letter but lacks any sense of urgency or alarm.

On Feb. 8, Bill C-69 was tabled in the House of Commons and by March 19 it passed second reading and headed to the House of Commons’ environment committee. Ten days later, United Conservative Party Leader Jason Kenney sent a letter to Notley suggesting that the entire legislature unite against Bill C-69. She never responded.

Eventually, Kenney put forward a motion condemning Bill C-69 in the Edmonton legislature. Notley’s government voted against the motion.

From March 22 to May 22, the environment committee held 14 meetings in Ottawa. It was during this time that Chris Bloomer, president of the Canadian Energy Pipeline Association, told the committee: “It is difficult to imagine that a new major pipeline could be built under the Impact Assessment Act, much less attract energy investment to Canada.”

The committee had 150 briefs submitted and 117 witnesses appeared. Even though Alberta has the most to lose from this bill, no one from the Alberta government bothered to testify. Not even a brief was submitted before the committee.

This missed opportunity is inexcusable and a gross dereliction of duty considering the significant effect this legislation will have on Alberta if passed.

On May 29, the bill cleared the committee and headed back to the House. Two days later, Alberta sent a letter to three federal ministers, stating: “Alberta also requests that these timelines accommodate government-to-government dialogue and we need to see a plan by June 30, 2018, on how this will occur.”

There’s no evidence of any dialogue occurring. In fact, on June 20, Bill C-69 passed third reading in the House and headed to the Senate. Surely, by now, Notley should have gone nuclear on Bill C-69.

Instead, Notley’s government sent a technical brief to the feds. Then, silence about this disastrous bill from the Alberta government ensued for many months.

On Aug. 15, at the annual Energy and Mines Ministers’ Conference in Iqaluit, the governments of Saskatchewan and Ontario refused to sign a joint statement in protest of Bill C-69. McCuaig-Boyd, however, did not publicly raise any objections about Bill C-69 when she had a national audience.

In early September, Alberta business leaders associated with a group called Suits and Boots launched a public campaign to fight Bill C-69.

Finally, on Sept. 25, possibly because of Suits and Boots’ action and resulting media coverage, Notley announced that she would send Phillips and McCuaig-Boyd to Ottawa to lobby the Senate for changes.

On Oct. 9, the Alberta government sent a technical document to the feds about the bill and, on the same day, Notley sent Trudeau the most strongly worded letter to date about the bill.

On Oct. 24, Phillips met with about 100 senators to discuss Bill C-69. Waiting so late into the process is obviously highly risky.

And Notley’s government is claiming it’s done a good job on this file?

“Unlike Jason Kenney,” Mike McKinnon, a spokesman for the energy minister, wrote Thursday, “we are out there every day fighting for things that matter to Albertans like getting the Trans Mountain pipeline built and fixing Bill C-69. We still intend to formally go before the Senate committee to deliver that message.”

There is so much wrong with the above statement. But it gets worse.

“This is too important to get wrong,” continued McKinnon. “We’ve seen what happens when this process fails with the recent Federal Court of Appeal decision and we saw it happen when the Harper-Kenney Conservatives made a complete mess of pipeline approvals with Northern Gateway. As the Premier said on Nov. 28, this is one of the biggest public policy failures of the last generation. It is unforgivable.”

Talk about misplaced blame. Northern Gateway was vetoed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Notley never objected to that devastating act.

In fact, she was in favour of killing Northern Gateway. On April 24, 2015, during an editorial board meeting with the Herald, Notley said she was opposed to Northern Gateway:

“I think Gateway is not the right decision. I think there’s just too much environmental sensitivity there. And I think there’s genuine concerns by the Indigenous communities . . . . And so, I don’t think it’s a particularly good use of our time,” said Notley.

Now, she and her spokespeople are trying to lay the blame on the Harper government that approved it? It’s galling.

As Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers president and CEO Tim McMillan said Thursday: “Bill C-69, as it’s currently written, will devastate not just Alberta’s energy industry but industry across Canada.”

Notley and her government have completely mishandled Bill C-69.

In this case, silence is deadly.
    Https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...another-hurdle

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

We. Are. Fucked.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    We. Are. Fucked.
    Now, maybe my memory is a bit foggy, but I swear this attitude of yours appears to have come with the realization that you aren't getting a job with any form of left party in power provincially or federally. Seems to have been a marked change in the past 6 months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2