Quantcast
Dashcam saved me $4500.... Do yourself a favor and get one. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Dashcam saved me $4500.... Do yourself a favor and get one.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Served Op right for going to Denny's in the first place. Nothing good happens at Denny's.

I've had my dash-cam for a few years now. It was a video posted here that made me get it. I think it was some guys girlfriend was driving his BMW on the bridge over Stoney and a guy in a civic tried to do an insurance scam but they had a cam. Not sure if those details are correct. I just got back from PV and I'm still in a tequila fog.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it was some guys girlfriend was driving his BMW on the bridge over Stoney and a guy in a civic tried to do an insurance scam but they had a cam. Not sure if those details are correct. I just got back from PV and I'm still in a tequila fog.
    Yeah I think it was the Beddington overpass, she would have been dinged for a 100% at-fault accident without the cam.

My Ride
    golfR

Had mine for a while now since that dash cam video from the 401 popped up where they were in traffic and the guy infront rolled back to the car behind but said he got rear ended.
    Changed his tune pretty quick.

Had an accident over the summer where an Uber driver pulled out from street parking without looking and I ended up hitting him.
    Exchanged information then I walked away thinking it was an open and shut case.
    Then insurance told me that the Uber driver is claiming that I hit him while while he was parked.
    Since it was my word against his it wouldn've been 50/50 according to the adjuster.
    Then I sent them the footage from my dashcam, my adjuster was so excited when she saw the footage.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Decided I’m getting one for both my truck and car after this thread. Never had one before.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've had my dash-cam for a few years now. It was a video posted here that made me get it. I think it was some guys girlfriend was driving his BMW on the bridge over Stoney and a guy in a civic tried to do an insurance scam but they had a cam. Not sure if those details are correct. I just got back from PV and I'm still in a tequila fog.
    Yup, that's when I decided to get one too.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/369...(video-inside)

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    Man you got some bad luck. Was #1 clear enough to see the plate? How long does yours record for when parked? Any battery issues?
    Haha yup and then it got written off by hail.

When I zoomed in I was able to identify most of the plate and it matched with the vehicle description of a guy that lived up the street.
    Cop was VERY upset when he called the guy and he denied it happened and then changed his story that he left a note when clearly you can see him stop and look at his own vehicle.

It records till the voltage cutoff you set on your hardwire kit if your camera comes with parking mode. Depends on how cold it is and if you're parked in a high traffic area.
    Yes, I've had battery issues with kits that don't have accurate cut off voltages. It's best to get a battery cell if you can afford it to prevent battery issues.

I think there may be a cheap external battery alternative but I haven't looked into it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Served Op right for going to Denny's in the first place. Nothing good happens at Denny's.

in my defence it was the mcdonalds divethru, although i am not sure that's better than dennys
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

I've looked around at the recommendations on here and...they all look pretty visible? I know some are quite small but my concern is theft. Maybe I'm paranoid, but are there any out there that are able to mount close enough to the rear view mirror that they blend in/look like a part of the mirror assembly? I realize they're not as expensive as a fancy stereo or a radar detector, but they look very easy to steal quickly.

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Chantastic View Post
    I've looked around at the recommendations on here and...they all look pretty visible? I know some are quite small but my concern is theft. Maybe I'm paranoid, but are there any out there that are able to mount close enough to the rear view mirror that they blend in/look like a part of the mirror assembly? I realize they're not as expensive as a fancy stereo or a radar detector, but they look very easy to steal quickly.

Thanks in advance.
    I have had my trucks broken into a few times, and each time they have ignored my dash cam. They are not worth that much that crooks want to steal them.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Thanks in advance.
    Sure, on both of my rides I have dash cam right in front of the mirror right at the top. The one in this picture on my crosstrek has just enough room to slide up a bit off the mount to retrieve the memory card if needed. These things are so cheap, theft has never been a concern to me...plus I don't live in the NE..perhaps that's a thing over there..

Last year I got sideswiped while in my wife's car, had the dashcam...the guy quickly shut up once I told him I had it...as he was screaming at me for going too fast...Perhaps I should have slowed down more, but if I was the van I wouldn't have even gone, nevermind the guy behind him. This was with an old shitty dashcam, but good enough to get an idea. My new car has a much better cam, the A119S a few mentioned.

Thanks guys! @eblend is the A119S the one pictured/you're using on the Crosstrek?

Even in the SW condo I was living in, cars would get broken into for next to nothing. My car was always fine, because everything was always hidden. I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Thanks guys! @eblend is the A119S the one pictured/you're using on the Crosstrek?

Even in the SW condo I was living in, cars would get broken into for next to nothing. My car was always fine, because everything was always hidden. I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible.
    Weird, I guess my car is in the garage when not at work so I don't even think about it. And yes that is the 119s in the crosstrek

Thanks

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I think the 119s is the best of all worlds personally, very discreet if you put it behind the mirror, and great quality/reliability, that said i did just buy the mirror one someone linked in here earlier, just because i needed the backup cam functionality as well.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Is this the one you guys have? Think ill order one.

https://www.amazon.ca/VIOFO-DashCam-...ds=viofo+a119s

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Does anyone have a separate dashcam for rental vehicles when travelling? If so which one is recommended?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

his is the model I run.

Name:  9hBCLxJ.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  38.1 KB
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4