Quantcast
Portrait Locations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Portrait Locations

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Portrait Locations

So it has dawned on me that I volunt...told to do family portraits for my fiance's family this weekend. Going to be 6 of us total and I'll have to use a remote for the group shots. Rented a 24-70 2.8 VR.

I'm trying to figure out a location(s) for this and given it's winter, everything seems pretty 'bleh' outside, I'm kind of in a scramble to sort some place out. Nothing for an inside location comes to mind, maybe Devonian Gardens? Most of the family lives in the far SW, maybe Bebo Grove?

Shoot is planned for Saturday afternoon, weather looks to be sunny and ~+2C.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Along the river in fish creek or near the Glenmore reservoir? Might be able to get a shot over the reservoir with mountains in the background if it's clear. A little overcast might be better to prevent squinting though, the light is so harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

I like Stephen Ave for things like this...I think the older buildings lend a nice backdrop...

But what do I know??...hahaha....
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    '14 Taco

We did our wedding photos at Bebo and shannon terrace. Bebo is nicer, Shannon has good spots near fence if you don’t want to go as far

SAIT should still be pretty good even in the winter since it's mostly cool architecture. I assume the snow is cleared because it's mostly a pedestrian area, and it's been warm. The (indoor) entrance ways to one of the buildings there is where we had a wedding shoot and it turned out really well - I think it was the parkade but I don't remember 100%. It was a huge concrete atrium. Should be able to do a mix of indoor/outdoor there if people get cold.

My Ride
    V8s

Griffiths Woods if you wanna be outside.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Go down to “the ranch” (restaurant) in fish creek.. you get a little of everything, nice red barn too for a little contrast for a few shots

Ps: you can’t drive down to bebo grove right now, 24th st is all torn up

My Ride
    rally pig

I take you want to take environmental/outdoor portraits?

with the wild weather swing we've been having, I wouldn't do outdoor nature portraits and do urban portraits instead.
    I would go Stephen Avenue, Chinatown, Bow River, River Walk or Prince's Island Park.
    St Patrick Island would be another good one.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm glad I asked, these are all great suggestions.

Thanks boys.
    Ultracrepidarian

Not sure if it is accessible all the time, but the staircase from main floor leading to the second floor of Decidedly Jazz building has a nice urban feel with Calgary Tower as background.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SAIT should still be pretty good even in the winter since it's mostly cool architecture. I assume the snow is cleared because it's mostly a pedestrian area, and it's been warm. The (indoor) entrance ways to one of the buildings there is where we had a wedding shoot and it turned out really well - I think it was the parkade but I don't remember 100%. It was a huge concrete atrium. Should be able to do a mix of indoor/outdoor there if people get cold.
    Definitely sounds like the SAIT parkade. The concrete makes for a nice neutral background with some interesting textures, wide stairs, and there's a transparent roof that makes for really nice light, particularly if it's overcast. It's a pretty popular spot. SAIT technically charges a fee to do commercial shoots on the premises (at least last time I checked years ago) but I think most just chance it. Since you'd be doing personal portraits you'd probably be fine however.
    Last edited by gogreen; 12-14-2018 at 11:04 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

We opted for an outdoor location at Bow Valley Ranch. Lots of great locations to use there if the client/family is looking for a more rustic setting.

Lots of shots, some great, a lot of 'meh' ones so I need more help/experience/practice with posing. Edits are looking really nice at the end of the day.

As an aside, the Nikon 24-70 VR I rented for this weekend is f*cking incredible.
    Ultracrepidarian