Quantcast
Whats the best streaming device... - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best streaming device...

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sports is pretty awesome on the Apple TV. NHL app is awesome for days like today with a billion games. 60fps, and the non full screen video is perfectly sharp on a 4K TV. Flames games work too if you’re on any DNS service. Kills sportsnet app quality.

Attachment 84453

Attachment 84454

MLB app is even better with more highlights stats and content but I don’t watch baseball.
    Really? I was running Apple TV NHL app through DNS for the past couple seasons and the quality was really hit and miss. I ended up canceling my subscription last year because the quality was so bad. I'm happy with Sportsnet right now.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Probably, I exclusively buy 4K Blurays though. I would consider one for rentals tbh.
    I do buy most physical as well, but I do have many codes for itunes which I currently can't watch at all outside of PC/iPad. We just need movies anywhere here really I suppose. Maybe they will make an itunes app for WebOS like is coming to 2018/2019 Samsungs.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Is the shield able to stream foreign channels such as Chinese, french, Spanish, etc?

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

^ you'll have to find an app that offers that kind of content, or simply cast it to the Shield from another device (laptop/phone/tablet).

The shield is an absolute beast of a box, the processing power alone makes it worth it over an Apple TV for me. Add in easy emulation (friends come over and want to play mario kart, no problem). Killer interface, Dolby Atmos, 4k capability, etc. and you have a clear winner at the price ($259 in Ontario w/gaming controller). Even better when it's on sale. Also Nvidia has been amazing at constantly updating and improving the software, so every iteration it gets better. Love it.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    ^ you'll have to find an app that offers that kind of content, or simply cast it to the Shield from another device (laptop/phone/tablet).

The shield is an absolute beast of a box, the processing power alone makes it worth it over an Apple TV for me. Add in easy emulation (friends come over and want to play mario kart, no problem). Killer interface, Dolby Atmos, 4k capability, etc. and you have a clear winner at the price ($259 in Ontario w/gaming controller). Even better when it's on sale. Also Nvidia has been amazing at constantly updating and improving the software, so every iteration it gets better. Love it.

It's also on sale, today only, at Amazon. $189. And qualifies for 8% back on ebates.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazo...t-buy-2260245/
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    There is an NHL app, so I am guessing with DNS trickery like Rage mentioned for the Apple TV, you can do the same thing with a Roku. Never used it myself, just know that the app exists and looks very much like Rages screenshots

https://channelstore.roku.com/en-ca/details/2531/nhl
    NHL app just added availability for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Love the Shield, can catch it on sale lately for $150-180. Well worth it for full app support, don't waste your time or money on any cheap Chinese android boxes
    $150-180,not cheap.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I tried out IPTV for the first time on my apple TV 4 and it was pretty good. My only question is does anyone have any good provider for chinese tv channels. Ideally I would like to get rid of telus cable tv and save that $60 a month im paying. I tried out vaderstreams and from what I can tell theres only omni1 and omni2 as chinese channels out of the 5000 or whatever channels there are.

Quote Originally Posted by Baomer View Post
    $150-180,not cheap.
    It pays for itself in 1-2 months compared to most cable plans, plus it can do a ton of other stuff - I would call that dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    It pays for itself in 1-2 months compared to most cable plans, plus it can do a ton of other stuff - I would call that dirt cheap.
    I'm new to this whole shield/android ecosystem. I recently switched over from iOS, so now using a Pixel 3, shield, multiple google homes, and tv/soundbar cast enabled devices. Other than Kodi, what makes this shield worth it or what other apps/streaming services to check out? I only have cable specifically for NBA/NHL, so to have a reliable streaming service that offers something similar (and for cheaper) would be nice. I never use Steam or GeForce Now but got a little click happy during the BF/BD deals on amazon for this thing lol.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

I only really want flames games and blue jays games so what system is the best and which have the sportsnet app? I have roku on one tv but looks like its not supported
    Last edited by thinmyster; 01-29-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I spent 120 bucks trying 3 different (shitty) cheap chinese boxes over the past couple years. Then got a shield this last black friday. Worth every penny.

Two newly updated Nvidia Shields announced today - a Streaming Stick and a "Pro" model with the form factor we're used to.

Both get:

- A process-updated (16nm) Tegra X1+ CPU with a 25% performance increase
    - Wireless AC & Gigabit Ethernet port
    - Bluetooth 5.0
    - HDMI 2.0 w/CEC
    - Dolby Vision and HDR10 support
    - Real-time AI upscaling (up to 4K)
    - Full support for Dolby Atmos (including Netflix), Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and DTS-X and also the legacy codecs
    - New remote with much better functionality, backlit buttons, and it takes 2 AAA batteries

Differences between Pro and Stick:

- Pro gets an extra GB of RAM (3GB vs 2GB)
    - Pro gets two USB 3.0 ports
    - Pro gets double internal storage (16GB vs 8GB)
    - Pro will cost about $70 more
    - Pro gets built in Plex server
    - Pro can be used as a smart things/smart home hub

Differences from previous Shields:

- Tegra X1+ (25% more performance)
    - Updated codec/HDR support
    - Bluetooth 5.0
    - Real time AI upscaling (up to 4K)
    - Improved remote
    - Ships with Android 9
    - Stick/dongle option now available

Stick ~ $199
    Pro ~$269
    (based off USD conversions)

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-28-2019 at 12:04 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I still have my shield that I bought a while back but haven't figured out how to use for streaming foreign language shows. Does anyone have a guide they can point me to?

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Places are going to be blowing out the old shield. Now is the time to pick up a 2017 model, unless you're set on dolby vision.
    IMO not worth the premium for it for DV

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    Places are going to be blowing out the old shield. Now is the time to pick up a 2017 model, unless you're set on dolby vision.
    IMO not worth the premium for it for DV
    The new value proposition just depends on what display you plan to use it with and what content you plan to view. For some it won't even be worth the upgrade, for others it will be huge. If you already have a Shield though, no need to upgrade if it already does everything you want. If you don't already have a shield, the new one is a no-brainier because they are already so cheap for what you get. You should be able to use the new remote with the old Shield as well as that is probably a big draw for a lot of people - it will be sold separately as well.

I'm curious to find out if the 4K upscaling is better than the processors in higher end TV's/Projectors, as typically the display device has a way better upscaler in it than the source/player, but the Shield is very powerful and not your typical device.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-28-2019 at 01:36 PM.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I've been watching some of the youtube reviews for the upscaler and it looks impressive. So far it looks to be better than the built in upscalers
    Don't know about the claim about the processor being 25% faster, haven't seen anyone run benchmarks yet. If it is in fact 25% faster I would probably upgrade as that would definitely improve the performance of gamecube emulation

I've been watching some of the youtube reviews for the upscaler and it looks impressive. So far it looks to be better than the built in upscalers
    Don't know about the claim about the processor being 25% faster, haven't seen anyone run benchmarks yet. If it is in fact 25% faster I would probably upgrade as that would definitely improve the performance of gamecube emulation
    The built in scaler is highly dependent on the display/projector. For example a $500 4K TV is not going to have the same quality processing as a $3000 4K TV, and it's the same in the projector world. Where Nvidia's processing is on that spectrum I don't know, but given their background as a graphics company, I suspect it will end up being quite good and probably at least better than entry level displays.

Nvidia is claiming the X1+ is 25% faster, so it probably is. They did a die shrink on the X1 CPU to get the "+" so it's likely just an X1 clocked higher, but without any heat increase thanks to the smaller process node.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I'm kinda pissed at how they didn't upgrade the ram/storage, considering the significant price upgrade
    It would have been nice to see 32GB of storage with a tad more ram, especially for the people that will use it as a plex server. Glad to see the remote changes and them going away from a shitty built in or using CR2032 batteries

I'm kinda pissed at how they didn't upgrade the ram/storage, considering the significant price upgrade
    It would have been nice to see 32GB of storage with a tad more ram, especially for the people that will use it as a plex server. Glad to see the remote changes and them going away from a shitty built in or using CR2032 batteries
    I don't think it really needs more RAM, it plays games smoothly and is instant-fast for all normal tasks (Netflix, Plex, etc.) I don't have any experience using it as an emulator though, so that could be different. For storage you can add an external drive for as much storage as you want - which is what most people using it as a Plex server do since you can get 8TB for $150 easily when there's a sale, which should be enough for most people's libraries. I actually run my Plex server on my PC which is probably the fastest way to do it.

The price is the same as the original and current Shields that came with the game controller, so basically you lose the game controller but gain a way better remote + the performance upgrades for the same price. That's not bad IMO. They could charge $400 for these things pretty easily I think, based on how much better it is than every other media box.

More built in storage would always be better though, so I can't argue that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast