Quantcast
Whats the best streaming device... - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Whats the best streaming device...

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

If streaming video is primary use then it will do just fine. Most phones today come with 4+, It would have been nice to see more, especially to appease the power users
    When you run it as a plex server + use it for streaming + emulation etc I feel like it could use more, especially for future proofing

As for the cost when you factor in the cost of the controller that now you don't get it that would be a 25% cost increase. For a DV license, some software upscaling and a overclocked mass produced CPU I definitely think its on the high side

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If streaming video is primary use then it will do just fine. Most phones today come with 4+, It would have been nice to see more, especially to appease the power users
    When you run it as a plex server + use it for streaming + emulation etc I feel like it could use more, especially for future proofing

As for the cost when you factor in the cost of the controller that now you don't get it that would be a 25% cost increase. For a DV license, some software upscaling and a overclocked mass produced CPU I definitely think its on the high side
    MSRP on the current unit without the extra controller is $229 and with the controller it's $259, so if the new one is $259 that's a ~13% increase for more features and a better remote, but you do lose that controller. Old controllers are compatible with the new Shield as well.

For a new product that has been improved, IMO the price is reasonable. There will of course be sales that follow that make it an even better deal but for a launch price, the same as the original is OK IMO.

I dunno, I would pay $400-500 for one of these without even thinking twice based on my usage, so I think it's very reasonable especially when you consider the non-existent competition.

If all you're doing is streaming, you would buy the stick version for $199 which is significantly cheaper than both the current and previous version of the Shield and with all the new tech/licencing.

My Ride
    ute

I think I might finally replace my Rokus with the sticks. The lack of chromecast support with the roku is annoying.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

So, as a Plex server, can it play files from a NAS? And will the "stick" be able to use the Pro's Plex server?

As in: NAS->Pro->Stick

I finally upgraded main tv from a WDLive to Roku+, but am finding the Roku really lacking in supported media types, and am either going to have to upgrade my NAS to one that can also be a Plex server, or buy some Nvidia's.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    MSRP on the current unit without the extra controller is $229 and with the controller it's $259, so if the new one is $259 that's a ~13% increase for more features and a better remote, but you do lose that controller. Old controllers are compatible with the new Shield as well.

For a new product that has been improved, IMO the price is reasonable. There will of course be sales that follow that make it an even better deal but for a launch price, the same as the original is OK IMO.

I dunno, I would pay $400-500 for one of these without even thinking twice based on my usage, so I think it's very reasonable especially when you consider the non-existent competition.

If all you're doing is streaming, you would buy the stick version for $199 which is significantly cheaper than both the current and previous version of the Shield and with all the new tech/licencing.
    Sorry should have been more clear. Right now $259 for the shield and controller. To get the same thing now its $259 + $80 for a controller = $339. That's where I see the approx 24% increase. I don't see a very compelling reason to get this if you're mainly streaming. A $55 4k firetv stick on sale will do just fine. I get these because the gaming aspect of them destroys all other competitors

My Ride
    Grimace

I am quite interested in the shield tube. New codecs and 4k upscaling sounds pretty good and then I can give my parents my old shield to replace their firestick. Also will clear up some crap from the tv stand which is just cable/box city.

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    Sorry should have been more clear. Right now $259 for the shield and controller. To get the same thing now its $259 + $80 for a controller = $339. That's where I see the approx 24% increase. I don't see a very compelling reason to get this if you're mainly streaming. A $55 4k firetv stick on sale will do just fine. I get these because the gaming aspect of them destroys all other competitors
    Ah, I see what you meant. Still though if you're just streaming, the $199 version is cheaper than any current or previous Shield. The Fire TV sticks don't have nearly the same functionality especially in terms of codec support or speed, but obviously it would be totally fine for a casual user just looking to add Netfllix to a TV or something similar - you don't need a Shield for that, though the experience on the Shield is still better overall.

I wonder how many people actually use these things for GeForce Now, where arguably they are the most impressive (4K/60P support too). Personally I would never even consider subscribing to something like that, but it's a neat concept.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Is it weird that I'm consider a device like this MAINLY because it would be a better Netflix experience than using Telus box, built in "smart tv" features or PS3?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Is it weird that I'm consider a device like this MAINLY because it would be a better Netflix experience than using Telus box, built in "smart tv" features or PS3?
    If you have a 4K smart TV, the Netflix experience will be worse with a Shield TV. The remote control sucks donkey balls and one less device to power up and hope it powers up the tv and receiver properly this time. An all in one device like a smart TV, is always easier.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    If you have a 4K smart TV, the Netflix experience will be worse with a Shield TV. The remote control sucks donkey balls and one less device to power up and hope it powers up the tv and receiver properly this time. An all in one device like a smart TV, is always easier.
    Generally speaking, smart TV UI's are garbage, and never get proper updates. My new Roku is 10x easier and faster to use over the native TV app.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    There are lots of different remotes you can use for the Shield, everything from a keyboard and trackpad to third party "traditional" remotes. On top of that you can use the new remote with the outgoing Shield products. It's a non issue IMO since there are so many options. You definitely aren't limited to the stock remote, which I have never had an issue with - a multi selector, back, home, and enter button are all you need to navigate the simple interface, and the voice control is very fast if you prefer that over buttons.

Every single smart TV app I have ever used has been so shitty and slow it's borderline unusable.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

ETA Prime has posted benchmark scores. 16% increase in GPU in 3dmark slingshot extreme.
    Rest of it is pretty much par, 13% price increase for a 13% GPU increase......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYN4LUwXMxw&t=333s

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If it's just for Netflix, a fire stick, roku, chromecast, etc would do just fine at a much lower price point.
    I'm trying to determine if I have any use case for the Shield, but seems to be mostly streaming your own content (pirating?) and games that it can do that the cheaper alternatives can't.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    If it's just for Netflix, a fire stick, roku, chromecast, etc would do just fine at a much lower price point.
    I'm trying to determine if I have any use case for the Shield, but seems to be mostly streaming your own content (pirating?) and games that it can do that the cheaper alternatives can't.
    I agree this is the most expensive way to accomplish netflix. I think the other features would get some, but not much, use.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    My Firetv4k stick handles all of my 1080p and smaller 4k movie files just fine through both Kodi and Plex.
    If your file sizes are >30Gb that's when I find the firetv stick starts to studder. If you're gaming that's when the Shield has the clear advantage, PSP/N64 I find unplayable on Firetv but anything below N64 like SNES works great
    ShieldTV has a much better interface IMO. Amazon really needs to work on that shitty UI

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

For those with a shield, anyone know where to get a new remote? Would like a replacement, but if theres a great 3rd party one willing to look at that too.

Kids got a lottle rough with ours and replacements are as much as $140 on ebay or amazon.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    For those with a shield, anyone know where to get a new remote? Would like a replacement, but if theres a great 3rd party one willing to look at that too.

Kids got a lottle rough with ours and replacements are as much as $140 on ebay or amazon.
    It'll be the Wechip G20 or the Q5. I personally have the Q5 for all my shields and love them
    The G20 seems to be the most recommended on the ShieldAndroidTv subreddit but it's also a prime item so I think that plays a big part in it

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07S23GQGY/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.ca/Android-Contro...sr=1-2-catcorr

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4