Quantcast
The $100,000 a year waitress isn't a myth: Some hard truths about tipping in Canada - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The $100,000 a year waitress isn't a myth: Some hard truths about tipping in Canada

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default The $100,000 a year waitress isn't a myth: Some hard truths about tipping in Canada

Great read.

https://nationalpost.com/news/the-10...ping-in-canada

...His data shows that a measly two per cent of diners are altering their usual tip amount based on performance. The much more influential drivers of tip amount are factors such as the attractiveness of a server or what tip amount the patron is accustomed to paying. This is supported by Canadian data. A 2016 poll by the Angus Reid Institute found that only nine per cent of Canadians deviate from their standard tip if they receive good service. However, most servers seem to be tragically unaware that their tip amounts are in the hands of cruel fate. According to Lynn’s findings, about half of servers were still under the incorrect belief that working hard would get them a bigger tip.
    Ultracrepidarian

about half of servers were still under the incorrect belief that working hard would get them a bigger tip.
    And its beliefs like these that lead to poor service in the first place. Anytime I've ever gone to the States, I'm blown away by how good the service is. Every time, I think it must be the server, until it starts happening everywhere. Now I believe Canada (or Calgary) just has shit service.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And its beliefs like these that lead to poor service in the first place. Anytime I've ever gone to the States, I'm blown away by how good the service is. Every time, I think it must be the server, until it starts happening everywhere. Now I believe Canada (or Calgary) just has shit service.
    People are entitled up here. Really, the only way to get good service these days is to be an above average tipper, and a regular customer so you're recognized and noticed.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    People are entitled up here. Really, the only way to get good service these days is to be an above average tipper, and a regular customer so you're recognized and noticed.
    Yup. My regular haunts, obviously, we get top notch experience s 100 percent of the time. Anywhere else is a total gamble, I'll never forget a few years back when we were just wiped after a day of skiing in the US so went to the Olive Garden for quick and easy - I've paid 300 up a head at home for less than half that level of service.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    about half of servers were still under the incorrect belief that working hard would get them a bigger tip.
    Well derp. You just have to be attractive and not a bitch to get a bigger tip.

Of course no one would answer that honestly if it were in the poll. I'd love to know the real-world answer though. How much annual income differentiates between two waitress's working the same shift for a year, both equally good service, both friendly, but one is hot, the other ugly.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 12-28-2018 at 04:15 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I think the horse is dead.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    I think the horse is dead.
    I'm disappointed no one is ranting or raving about this yet.

My Ride
    NC1

Pics of this server would explain a lot.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Keep in mind what was strategically omitted from that article, if you go to the actual original Workopolis article the waitress made $100k when she worked at a “high end” hotel bar.

So a bit of an anomaly. This isn’t a BP’s waitress. She probably worked at a place where the average clientele made north of $300k/year

Not saying it isnt possible or doesn’t happen daily but I’m betting you’re looking at under 10% of servers that make anywhere near that.

On the topic of tipping, it literally has zero impact on my lifestyle. I really don’t know why people make such a big deal about it. It feels like a whole bunch of people leasing/financing vehicles they have no business owning and then complaining about “expensive” oil changes. If say a 20% tip on a meal has a noticeable financial impact on you maybe you’re eating at places above your pay grade
    Last edited by J-hop; 12-28-2018 at 06:27 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Keep in mind what was strategically omitted from that article, if you go to the actual original Workopolis article the waitress made $100k when she worked at a “high end” hotel bar.

So a bit of an anomaly. This isn’t a BP’s waitress. She probably worked at a place where the average clientele made north of $300k/year

Not saying it isnt possible or doesn’t happen daily but I’m betting you’re looking at under 10% of servers that make anywhere near that.

On the topic of tipping, it literally has zero impact on my lifestyle. I really don’t know why people make such a big deal about it. It feels like a whole bunch of people leasing/financing vehicles they have no business owning and then complaining about “expensive” oil changes. If say a 20% tip on a meal has a noticeable financial impact on you maybe you’re eating at places above your pay grade
    Except that the bullshit is spreading. I just grabbed some wine and the liquor store machine prompted me for a tip ... fuck that

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Life isn’t fair, good looking people make more at every job. It’s science. Look it up

This sounds like a waste of good looks in 2018, just look at what the Kardashian’s have managed to do with no hard skills

My Ride

Gotta pay the bills somehow until the instaslut account takes off.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Except that the bullshit is spreading. I just grabbed some wine and the liquor store machine prompted me for a tip ... fuck that
    Oh yea that I completely agree is stupid.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I've known waitresses who could pull down close to $300 on a busy night at diners like Dennys/Smittys etc plus their minimum wage.

That theoretically could be $78k per year untaxed, which is over $100k/year gross. No, they weren't taking in money like that all the time, but being a waitress is pretty lucrative vs many other jobs.

In return, its pretty shit work though.

End of the day, just stop tipping unless it's good work. They get paid $15/h.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I used to make $300 a night in tips as a bartender in the early 90s. That’s on a weeknight. I never got weekend shifts which was even more stupid money.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I used to make $300 a night in tips as a bartender in the early 90s. That’s on a weeknight. I never got weekend shifts which was even more stupid money.
    You sure that wasn’t a movie?

Name:  1B25214C-7CA7-450E-AB42-F4F57F9CA51F.jpeg
Views: 929
Size:  69.4 KB

My Ride
    an econo box

In the late 90's/early 2000's I worked at a hotel that had a fairly popular (at the time) sports bar on site. The servers/bartenders would easily make north of $100/night average just in tips. On busy days like a big hockey game or weekends they could make more than $200. Especially the cute ones. Keep in mind this is like 18 years ago.

Problem was they were absolute train wrecks financially. Despite the money they were making they were still missing car payments, complaining about bills etc. Not uncommon with the lifestyle of working in that industry I hear.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I know plenty of servers that made over 100k gross. Probably not happening as much locally though.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Just ate at a Vietnamese Pho place (London). It felt weird not tipping.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast