Quantcast
The $100,000 a year waitress isn't a myth: Some hard truths about tipping in Canada - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The $100,000 a year waitress isn't a myth: Some hard truths about tipping in Canada

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to be pretty regular at Caesars. It's possible to have a pretty reasonably priced lunch there if you want. Never had a favourite waiter, and in fact, hated the style of service.
    Whaaaat?! Table side Caesar salads are sooo good

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    $90? What are you guys students or something?
    Yea I am
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    NC1

How much is the surf and turf at Caesars now? haha it was $65 back 10 years ago but haven't been since. Modern is my go to now.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    How much is the surf and turf at Caesars now? haha it was $65 back 10 years ago but haven't been since. Modern is my go to now.
    Modern is great. But so are tableside caesar salads.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Modern is solid, me and the wife love it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    Lunch meetings and team building, usually Friday early afternoon.
    Makes sense, I’ve been a couple times on someone else’s bill and never thought I’d come back on my own dime. Food is meh, I’ve had equally good steaks at Mr.mikes lol. Is an interesting experience though, it’s like it hasn’t changed since the 80s

Judging other people's worth, and what they should be paid for their professions. Amazing entitlement.
    I mean I agree with what you are saying. Don’t think entitlement is the right word though? Haha

My Ride
    Silverado

Should probably split this thread (and make tirebob the op)

Funny though, if tipping went away, wait staff would become indistinguishable from Tim Horton's drive through staff.
    I don't know how often you go out to different restaurants (sounds like you're a regular at least at Caesars), but I often get better service at places like Tim Hortons than a lot of good restaurants in Calgary. The reason service is so bad is precisely because of the automatic 20% tip expectation - they know they don't have to put in any effort for a tip beyond showing up to work, and most people will blindly tip the usual amount. This is especially bad downtown with expense accounts as I have witnessed literally hundreds of times. If you go anywhere where minimum wage is much lower and tips are required for a living wage, or anywhere that does not accept tips, service is almost universally better in my experience anyway.

Typical restaurant service is already on par with the average fast food experience:

- greet for 10 seconds and pour a water
    - take order
    - maybe check on you once, maybe not
    - deliver cheque with a drawing of a smiley face and a completely different personality as a cringey last ditch effort to increase the tip

My Ride
    Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I don't know how often you go out to different restaurants (sounds like you're a regular at least at Caesars), but I often get better service at places like Tim Hortons than a lot of good restaurants in Calgary. The reason service is so bad is precisely because of the automatic 20% tip expectation - they know they don't have to put in any effort for a tip beyond showing up to work, and most people will blindly tip the usual amount. This is especially bad downtown with expense accounts as I have witnessed literally hundreds of times. If you go anywhere where minimum wage is much lower and tips are required for a living wage, or anywhere that does not accept tips, service is almost universally better in my experience anyway.

Typical restaurant service is already on par with the average fast food experience:

- take order
    - deliver cheque with a drawing of a smiley face and a completely different personality as a cringey last ditch effort to increase the tip
    I take all of our clients to Caesar's and usually spend upwards of $1,000/meal. If it were up to me I'd rather take them to like Swiss Chalet, way better service and value. Half the time I even have to educate the waiters on what I can order that's off-menu. But ya gotta tip otherwise you look like a cheap ass.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

This.

- take order
    What is motivating the Tim hortons employee though?

I don’t know how they work but is it a visible progression path? Is there a reward structure in place that motivates them?

I’m a firm believer that like you say if you expect a certain reward regardless of your effort you become lazy (communism, equal outcome etc). Whereas give someone a potential reward for working hard and you will get the best out of them., so what is the differentiating factor between the two systems (restaurant vs Tim hortons etc)?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Judging other people's worth, and what they should be paid for their professions. Amazing entitlement.
    You literally do the same by giving them a tip Infallible logic you've demonstrated there Beyond Baller haha

My Ride
    NC1

even stevens lol for every mitsu, there's a raj2 haha
    I am user #49

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Citizenship
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post

I don’t know how they work but is it a visible progression path? Is there a reward structure in place that motivates them?

I’m a firm believer that like you say if you expect a certain reward regardless of your effort you become lazy (communism, equal outcome etc). Whereas give someone a potential reward for working hard and you will get the best out of them., so what is the differentiating factor between the two systems (restaurant vs Tim hortons etc)?
    I have no idea how the Tim Hortons employment structure works, but I think msommers had the most accurate answer

I suspect at Tim Hortons, they already know they aren't getting any tips, and I am assuming there is a power-tripping manager at every location keeping everyone in line. You don't need to speak English well to work there and I think overall it attracts a different type of employee (i.e. I see people my parents' age working there but rarely do I see that in a traditional restaurant). Also they are just so busy all the time that if anyone was slacking off it would probably be extremely obvious to the rest of the staff. At Tim Hortons they know what they signed up for, they get $X/hr and that's that. They also can work normal hours, where as many restaurants don't open until 5pm. At a restaurant, they are getting $15/hr plus 15-20% on almost every table regardless of how good they are so there is no motivation whatsoever to do anything other than the bare minimum. They only thing they care about is getting you another bottle of wine after you're still on the first glass because it has the highest tip return for the lowest effort. If there was any correlation between service quality and tip % in Calgary, I think that would change in a hurry and you would see service quality increase dramatically. Or do like many states do and make server minimum wage $5.00 - then you will see them actually work for tips at times other than check delivery. I think that is a very reasonable solution because then the people who deserve it will make the same money and the slackers will get weeded out. As it is there is no motivation and unless that motivation is financial, nothing will change IMO.

I don't get a bonus at my job just for showing up to work - there is careful performance tracking, etc. throughout the year and it is entirely based on that.

The best service experience I've had in recent memory was at Prairie Dog Brewing and surprise surprise - there is no tipping expected there. The bill was lower than it would have been at competing pubs/breweries, service was 10/10, the servers are being compensated fairly - win/win all round.

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    even stevens lol for every mitsu, there's a raj2 haha
    If you're implying that I am not a generous tipper you need to re-read my posts I think the difference is who I choose to tip and I no longer blindly give 20%. My overall money spent on tipping is probably exactly the same. My outlook on tipping is what has changed towards rewarding those who actually deserve it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.

My Ride
    NC1

My outlook on tipping is what has changed towards rewarding those who actually deserve it.
    That's fair. I guess I'm the same way depending on the hooker lol some get more than others based on service and attention to detail
    I am user #49

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Is he joking...is he not...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Is he joking...is he not...
    It's no joke, some of those gals have no business being in the costumer service industry, while others are true pros and a pleasure to deal with even in unexpected situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast