Quantcast
Family link/google/youtube restrictions.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Family link/google/youtube restrictions..

My Ride
    changes every year

Default Family link/google/youtube restrictions..

So my 10(almost 11) year old has had a phone and restrictions for a year. I know he watches YouTube at home on the shaw box and at his friends place, so at this point I'm not too worried about what he is searching and I'm allowing him to have it on his phone.

When I set this thing up, I was under the assumption that I could just change the settings for this, but i cant get it to allow YouTube.

What is my next step? Uninstalling familylink or deleting his google account? I really dont want to do either...any suggestions?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

He needs YouTube kids. The entire google ecosystem has a very restrictive view of what kids can see and do.

If you personally want control, you need to get him an adult google account, and then restrict him with other methods, like through your router time control settings, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    changes every year

Ya that's what I figured from the reading I was doing, but was hoping there might be another way .

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    He needs YouTube kids. The entire google ecosystem has a very restrictive view of what kids can see and do.
    And 95% of it is thinly veiled adverting.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We are "full google" for our family, and it's a mess because of this child/adult differentiation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    And 95% of it is thinly veiled adverting.
    Well Youtube is an advertising platform first and foremost. That's true for Youtube Kids and the regular youtube as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

If you have a Samsung you could use kids mode to release certain apps while still maintaining control

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    If you have a Samsung you could use kids mode to release certain apps while still maintaining control
    It's an S6, little old now, but I'll look into it. I didnt realize it had a dedicated kids mode.

Kids mode this, kids mode that, nanny state but just in a different form. I get it, the world is a big fucking scary place but at what point do you stop being controllers and start being parents? My wife and I are a different phase of our life than most beyond members and all we've seen is that controlled kids end up being a lot more messed up as they grow up than kids that were parented. Guidance, not control, was always our mantra. Yeah, there are exceptions to the rule but I'd rather be seen still as a parent my kids can come to for guidance as opposed to a parent to avoid because control.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Kids mode this, kids mode that, nanny state but just in a different form. I get it, the world is a big fucking scary place but at what point do you stop being controllers and start being parents? My wife and I are a different phase of our life than most beyond members and all we've seen is that controlled kids end up being a lot more messed up as they grow up than kids that were parented. Guidance, not control, was always our mantra. Yeah, there are exceptions to the rule but I'd rather be seen still as a parent my kids can come to for guidance as opposed to a parent to avoid because control.
    Pretty sure when you were growing up, you couldn't pick up your stone tablet and with one click watch a live stream suicide or one of these Peppa Pig vids... You couldn't read about "how to be in Incel" on the carvings in your cave. You didn't watch videos about how to slash and burn a dinosaur.

That's the difference. The nannying you got as a kid was due to technological limitations.

I agree that there are some special snowflakes raised due to everyone's sensitivity to everything though.
    Last edited by jwslam; 01-08-2020 at 09:21 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Spoken like someone who doesn't know exactly how fucked up the internet really is. But yeah, you could just not let your kids on the internet, but then they get behind in both social and educational situations because they aren't learning from it.