Quantcast
Furance and duct cleaning - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Furance and duct cleaning

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I’ve got a guy who does really good job out of Rockyford, no travel cost. He’s a bit of a redneck but he’ll get the job done right and for half of what most places will quote. Hypertech.biz

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There must be a limit on how many ducts there are though?
    Nope, it was for unlimited ducts, one furnace. No extras for HE furnace.

My Ride
    NC1

Non believer of furnace cleaning but it’s okay.

Whatever works for ya as per speedo lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    does it help reduce your heating cost or is mostly to improve the air flow circulation?

over the holidays i've noticed our furnace not heating up twice within a week.
    first time i noticed a lot of dust on the air filter (i change air filters on a monthly basis), but the 2nd time the air filter was normal.

flashing light error on the furnace indicated that it could be pressure switch open/closed, condensate line blocked or blocked inlet/exhaust.
    couldn't see any faults on any of those so im wondering if cleaning the furnace and duct will help.
    I’m no hvac tech but I can tell you right away cleaning the vents won’t help.

Have a furnace company or Atco check it out.

Weird though that you had a ton of dust even though you’re changing the filter monthly. I am so lazy with filter changes and usually only do it twice a year and it’s usually pretty clean.do you live in airdrie or something?

As for the flame sensor the error will be different, it will be something like unable to detect a flame. If the igniter goes it will be similar and/or an igniter specific error, but an igniter is super easy to tell. Turn off the lights, crank the furnace and look for glowing red. If you want to clean the flame sensor use something as non-abrasive as possible. It was mentioned briefly in that vid not to use coarse sandpaper because it can shorten the life of the sensor. I am not 100% but I believe the sensors are coated in something and sandpaper removes this coating causing them to oxidize much quicker.

I’m fairly certain it’s something else causing this error though. Could be a bad inducer blower or a bad pressure switch assuming you checked for intake blockages.
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-04-2019 at 09:05 AM.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

We've used Castle maintenance a few years on a row now for furnace and duct cleaning. Always happy with the work they've done. and had the same guys 3 out of 4 years now Had Action Furnace in over the spring to install AC and really happy with the guy that came out fornthat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redevil View Post
    I used Air Raid Furnace and Duct. Reasonably priced with their Winter Special for all ducts and furnace for $179 and was great to deal with. http://www.airraidfurnace.com/
    how often do you guys get your furnace and duct cleaned?

i saw air raid on groupon, but their winter deal is actually $5 cheaper than the groupon. how are these guys?
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

bump, any recent reviews/recommendations for furnace cleaning? looking to do my house and a rental so ideally someone that would give me a deal to do them all together.

My Ride
    *The First*

I didn't do this once in over 10 years at my older house. I had easy access to see how much hair & shit ended up in the ducting system and it was arbitrarily close to zero.
    Is this whole thing a racket/scam? Is it for people who NEVER change their air filters, or something?

This was with an old squirrel cage furnace that had the somewhat half-hexagon apparatus where you lay the new filter cloth on it and clamp it down. 3M every ~6 months.

Am I missing where all this alleged debris can bypass the air filter to enter the system?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I didn't do this once in over 10 years at my older house. I had easy access to see how much hair & shit ended up in the ducting system and it was arbitrarily close to zero.
    Is this whole thing a racket/scam? Is it for people who NEVER change their air filters, or something?

This was with an old squirrel cage furnace that had the somewhat half-hexagon apparatus where you lay the new filter cloth on it and clamp it down. 3M every ~6 months.

Am I missing where all this alleged debris can bypass the air filter to enter the system?
    Really depends on the house.

I used to do this as a job and I'll give you some scenarios.

First scenario was generally always clean but shit would fall into vents and need to get removed or cleaned out. One house I went too had 2 or 3 rotten peaches sitting in the ducts because a kid dropped them down it... The smell was gross.

Second scenario is new homes where builders just drop EVERYTHING into the vents so you get all sorts of crap and debris down them.

But generally speaking is it a scam? Or needed? Not from what I saw. You'd usually have a few hair balls or dust bunnies and a light dust coating but not enough to warrant a cleaning all the time.

Would I suggest doing it if say you bought a new house? Sure.

My Ride
    changes every year

Just had mine done yesterday. First time since we took posession of the new build a little over 3 years ago.

They told me it's the cleanest one they've seen since they started doing it. My wife keeps a clean house, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but based on those remarks, I'm not sure how often a person really needs it done. Every 5 years?

But when new furnaces have warranty, I believe you're supposed to do it every year to maintain warranty? I'm not sure that's true either.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Duct cleaning is a waste except after renovations. I think inspecting and cleaning the furnace itself is probably worthwhile every few years.

Reminds me, I haven't had mine done for several years. Maybe I should.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Really depends on the house.

I used to do this as a job and I'll give you some scenarios.

First scenario was generally always clean but shit would fall into vents and need to get removed or cleaned out. One house I went too had 2 or 3 rotten peaches sitting in the ducts because a kid dropped them down it... The smell was gross.

Second scenario is new homes where builders just drop EVERYTHING into the vents so you get all sorts of crap and debris down them.

But generally speaking is it a scam? Or needed? Not from what I saw. You'd usually have a few hair balls or dust bunnies and a light dust coating but not enough to warrant a cleaning all the time.

Would I suggest doing it if say you bought a new house? Sure.
    This is some solid mahfk'n advice from da man wit da plan!!
    Reputation given!
    Edit - fuck it's making me wait. I'll try to remember.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2