Quantcast
OFFICIAL 2019 Extreme Weather Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2019 Extreme Weather Thread

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Distracted myself yesterday and hit the ditch, luckily had enough momentum to hit 4x4, thread the needles between two poles and climb back up about 100m down the road.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Distracted myself yesterday and hit the ditch, luckily had enough momentum to hit 4x4, thread the needles between two poles and climb back up about 100m down the road.
    I am of the opinion that 99% of accidents I see in the winter involving putting a vehicle in the ditch are because of distracted driving.

Most of them are in fwd vehicles on perfectly straight highway. You realllllyyy have to try to hit the ditch with those conditions.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Fuck this city logic, my car got plowed in last night and a Good Samaritan neighbour had to tow me out, why fucking issue a parking ban yet plow the night before
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I am of the opinion that 99% of accidents I see in the winter involving putting a vehicle in the ditch are because of distracted driving.

Most of them are in fwd vehicles on perfectly straight highway. You realllllyyy have to try to hit the ditch with those conditions.
    Agreed. All it took was 1-2 seconds of looking down to see who was calling me on my phone on a narrow two lane section of road and I drifted into the soft snow and sucked me off the road. Thankfully I was going about 40km/h instead of say 80/h.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    What did you do last winter because we got way more snow last year?
    I filled my green bin every week with snow!

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    I filled my green bin every week with snow!
    That's funny!
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not extreme, but I usually shovel quite a bit of the street near my house, but I also expect the city to plow my street, even though it's not on any plow route, so I want to wait until I can bust up the windrow.

Cool story bro?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I nearly got rear ended on the drive home Friday evening. I was waiting in a line up to turn left. I could see in my rearview mirror a driver just not paying attention to the road conditions and then suddenly slamming her brakes to stop. That freaked me out and got the adrenaline going.
    In the winter time, any time I come to a stop I leave plenty of room between me and the car in front and I get ready to move forward, watching the rear view mirror the whole time until the person behind me comes to a stop. It has without a doubt saved me from multiple rear-end accidents over the years which instead ended up being very close calls using my "method", and would have 100% been accidents if I wasn't doing that. If they're just flat out not paying attention and not even slowing down though, not much you can do.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    In the winter time, any time I come to a stop I leave plenty of room between me and the car in front and I get ready to move forward, watching the rear view mirror the whole time until the person behind me comes to a stop. It has without a doubt saved me from multiple rear-end accidents over the years which instead ended up being very close calls using my "method", and would have 100% been accidents if I wasn't doing that. If they're just flat out not paying attention and not even slowing down though, not much you can do.
    This +10000. I've avoided getting rear ended many times because of this defensive move.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I also do this and theres been quite a few near misses where I can see the person behind me (some punk with shitty winters / all seasons) sliding directly towards my bumper after hitting ice. Luckily for me in those few times they have also turned their wheel and then hit the curb instead of my car.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I remember this from Driver's Ed. Another one is if you're in the intersection waiting to turn left, to keep your wheels pointed straight until you're actually going to turn. Reason being is if you get rear-ended, you go forward rather than across the lanes of oncoming traffic.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

This 100%.
    Fuck I thought I was the only one that did this.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wasn't someone in the pet peeves thread complaining about this recently? Like they couldn't stand when people stopped "too far back" and then crept up. I can't find the post, but I'm sure it happened.

This X1000000

As someone who has been rear ended 7 f***ing times (all minor, thankfully), I always leave a gap, this has allowed me to avoid being rear ended at least 3 more times.

Drivers in this city are stunning.

My Ride
    Hybrid

I don't know if this would ever actually happen, but my worry with this is that if they still end up hitting you and it's hard enough to push you into the car in front, then you'd end up at fault for hitting the car in front since you were no longer stopped.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

In this day and age with front and rear dash cams, I wonder how insurance would handle that with proof you actually were not following "too close"?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Wasn't someone in the pet peeves thread complaining about this recently? Like they couldn't stand when people stopped "too far back" and then crept up. I can't find the post, but I'm sure it happened.
    There was.. but there was no context if it was in the winter time or not and sounded like it was done all the time.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I remember this from Driver's Ed. Another one is if you're in the intersection waiting to turn left, to keep your wheels pointed straight until you're actually going to turn. Reason being is if you get rear-ended, you go forward rather than across the lanes of oncoming traffic.
    Hmm... I was never taught that. That makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Was there anyone complaining about driving with hazards on in thick fog too? Cause that sounds like the same sort of thing this type of person would complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I don't know if this would ever actually happen, but my worry with this is that if they still end up hitting you and it's hard enough to push you into the car in front, then you'd end up at fault for hitting the car in front since you were no longer stopped.
    It's always a risk I suppose. If they are going to hit you that hard though it probably doesn't matter what precautions you're taking. I guess you could leave a bus-length of room so you can move up half of that and still get hit without getting pushed into the car in front. It's whatever you're comfortable with. I usually leave at least a good car length if not more, and then I idle up to close the gap to something a little more reasonable once the guy behind me has stopped.

Regardless though you've mitigated the situation because if you leave a big gap in front of you until the person behind you stops, and they do end up hitting you, you still have that gap before you hit the car in front. If you do hit, presumably the accident will be less severe because they would have to push you the 20ft or whatever it is first. If they are coming in hot and you know they aren't going to stop whatsoever, you have the option of not moving to maintain the space left between you and the car in front. It's just an on the spot judgement call I guess.

Just from my own experience anyway I have had really good luck with leaving that extra room because usually people realize they are going to hit you and brake, but sometimes too late, so being above to move up that 5-10ft or whatever avoids the fender bender entirely. If they come screaming in at the speed limit you're fucked either way probably. When I see an old POS car or soccer mom type vehicle coming up behind me in the winter I always get nervous because you know they're on all seasons haha.

Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast