Thread: The Mandela Effect?

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Replace "father" with "daddy" and you have a glimpse of dai lo max's life

#collegeinvasion
    The force is strong in him

Just relaying that the #1 reserve nation of oil (Venezuela) pretty much has 2 million people running as fast as they can away from it. Reality is harsh.

Just goes to show that not all people see things in the same light or even take in information in the same way (nevermind remember and relay it)

BTW: Darth is ok, but Thanos is the real hero. Luke? Luke is a whiny ass millennial. Luke ran away from his home planet when they needed him for harvest time. People gonna starve when Luke takes joyride through the universe. With that said Infinity War is on Netflix if you don't already know.

Mandela? Never knew him personally, so no official comment.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-09-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Replace "father" with "daddy" and you have a glimpse of dai lo max's life

#collegeinvasion
    lol wow.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I'd do an entire analysis of Star Wars, and how if the "protagonists" were real people they would probably be all serving life sentences. Drunk, gambling addicted bounty hunters and killers? No problem! Alien racists? No problem? Mind control? No problem.

Imperial stormtroopers probably the most honorable of the entire lot.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    I'd do an entire analysis of Star Wars, and how if the "protagonists" were real people they would probably be all serving life sentences. Drunk, gambling addicted bounty hunters and killers? No problem! Alien racists? No problem? Mind control? No problem.

Imperial stormtroopers probably the most honorable of the entire lot.
    Zen, you never disappoint man A+

Thought of another human failing that gets perpetuated to show how collective ignorance/stupidity influences what we believe is true.

There is no word irregardless, it never stopped being a word as it never was a word. However it’s used so commonly and always in the complete opposite way it would be defined if you were to make it a word following basic English rules.

There are so many ignorant/poorly educated people out there that it has made it into Merriam-Webster as a non-standard form of regardless.

All of the examples brought up so far can be tracked back to a general ignorance and/or stupidity perpetuated by pop culture/public media. I look at my discipline and there are things that I’ve spent a better part of my adult life studying and working on that pop culture/social media gets completely wrong, yet because they have the critical mass behind them they falsely hold the ‘truth’ card

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

So I was just thinking about the mandela effect again the other day because it's an interesting phenomena.

I haven't bothered to read about any theories on why it happens but personally I speculate it can happen due to limited context and information so the brain corrects information to make it more user-friendly.

For instance, I'm not a Star Wars fan. I've seen the series but I don't dedicate nowhere enough mental energy to remember dialogue. All I know is that Vader is revealing to Luke who he is so it's more natural for my brain to think "Luke, I am your father" in order to contextualize the information and make it more palatable.

That said, it doesn't explain how lines like "beam me up scotty" have never actually existed yet it is part of pop culture.

Anyway, just throwing out some potentially erroneous verbal diarrhea to go alongside this conversation we've been having

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Thought of another human failing that gets perpetuated to show how collective ignorance/stupidity influences what we believe is true.

There is no word irregardless, it never stopped being a word as it never was a word. However it’s used so commonly and always in the complete opposite way it would be defined if you were to make it a word following basic English rules.

There are so many ignorant/poorly educated people out there that it has made it into Merriam-Webster as a non-standard form of regardless.

All of the examples brought up so far can be tracked back to a general ignorance and/or stupidity perpetuated by pop culture/public media. I look at my discipline and there are things that I’ve spent a better part of my adult life studying and working on that pop culture/social media gets completely wrong, yet because they have the critical mass behind them they falsely hold the ‘truth’ card
    Another good one is "Unthaw". Uh, you mean freeze it?

I find that its many time a limitation of the English language at expression. German has a word for everything, Japanese has words for things that don't even exist in English, like spending $100 per ounce for a mushroom for that unique "Umami" taste.

When you actually look at it, English does an extremely poor job of expressing the vast unicorn of human existance. If English was described in terms of a spectrum of language rainbow, it would be like looking at the world with only low pressure sodium lighting. Even Arabic languages are far more elegant.

Shakespeare did what he could by directing the actual acoustics, but he was still limited to English - which is a shame. The term "Hero" is most definitely Japanese derived, and not English. I mean seriously, the English language doesn't even distinguish between female and male for every word - That's messed up, like everyone going into the same language washroom.

Thus: Unicorns farting rainbows is a very rough translation to English. So let it be said, so let it be done.

My take: The world tended to standardize on English because of its utter simplicity (including 26 char keyboard for computer input), not because it was good at expression. Anyone who says they "Mastered English" to me: Eyes rolling so far back in my head that they haven't yet made a word to describe it.

Was Mandela a "Hero"? From my perspective, probably. But so is Thanos. Darth Vader or Luke? Neither were heroic.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-09-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Them Japanese though... If you are half an octave too high or too low in inunciation on a couple words, you might be looking at a job sweeping floors.

English grammar Nazis have nothing on Japanese intonation Nazis.

Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

19 seconds of Google didn't clearly explain to me how it got that name, anyone?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Some people supposedely "remember" Nelson Mandela dying in the 80's. He didnt until 2013.

Mandela effect means different things to different generations and geographies. I can imagine that in a few decades Buzz Aldrin will be known as the guy you either believed or didn't - sort of like the ShamWow guy.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Mandela's death is one of the main events people have specific recollections of that don't coincide with history. So they just called the phenomenon the Mandela effect.

I find that its many time a limitation of the English language at expression. German has a word for everything, Japanese has words for things that don't even exist in English, like spending $100 per ounce for a mushroom for that unique "Umami" taste.

When you actually look at it, English does an extremely poor job of expressing the vast unicorn of human existance. If English was described in terms of a spectrum of language rainbow, it would be like looking at the world with only low pressure sodium lighting. Even Arabic languages are far more elegant.

Shakespeare did what he could by directing the actual acoustics, but he was still limited to English - which is a shame. The term "Hero" is most definitely Japanese derived, and not English. I mean seriously, the English language doesn't even distinguish between female and male for every word - That's messed up, like everyone going into the same language washroom.

Thus: Unicorns farting rainbows is a very rough translation to English. So let it be said, so let it be done.

My take: The world tended to standardize on English because of its utter simplicity (including 26 char keyboard for computer input), not because it was good at expression. Anyone who says they "Mastered English" to me: Eyes rolling so far back in my head that they haven't yet made a word to describe it.

Was Mandela a "Hero"? From my perspective, probably. But so is Thanos. Darth Vader or Luke? Neither were heroic.
    Can't speak for German or Japanese, but English is light years ahead of French and Spanish as far as expression and descriptive use goes. Being that English is so encompassing of other languages by just stealing things from all of them, I was under the impression that is why English was kind of adopted as the world standard.

Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    can't speak for german or japanese, but english is light years ahead of french and spanish as far as expression and descriptive use goes. Being that english is so encompassing of other languages by just stealing things from all of them, i was under the impression that is why english was kind of adopted as the world standard.
    BS

Like the matrix part 2 (the crap movie) says. You can tell the quality of a language by the number of ways you can express swear words.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

BTW: Luke is mostly a "hero" to a very small subset of people. Usually white landowners in North America and Austrailia. To the vast majority of Asian countries, they simply have no frame of reference, no empathy to associate with Luke.

Luke without a frame of empathy, is simply a whiny ass millennial who abandons his familial and tribe obligations (leaves them to starve) to go off and kill people because his lightsaber is blue and the other side is red. I mean seriously, how can you really empathize with a guy who drops a bomb and kills off an entire artificial planet? Its like trying to empathize with McCain while he is dropping napalm on your wife and kids. McCain being the most reprehensible man in current history (post Nazi)

North America has no frame of reference of having death liquids or explosives being dropped on their heads.

If the Death star was renamed "Dyson sphere made by Elon Musk" would perception change?

Truth be known, I'd probably pick up a red sword and take Luke down myself. Then I'd remake the Jedi and the Dark side in my image (and change to the purple sword).... Oh wait they already did that story.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-10-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

BS

Like the matrix part 2 (the crap movie) says. You can tell the quality of a language by the number of ways you can express swear words.
    So once again, English FTW!

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    For the betterment of this world, I think you should move to Columbia, get off the grid/internet and starting feeding those kids corn flakes.
    hahaha this is a great example

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

What if I told you........EnRich's vehicles were fully loaded all along?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast