Quantcast
shakalaka wants a dog - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: shakalaka wants a dog

My Ride
    This and that.

Default shakalaka wants a dog

For those of you guys who don't have anyone at home to watch over the dogs during the working hours, what do you guys do? The wife and I would really like to get a dog but we feel it wouldn't be fair to the dog considering we'd both be away at work for full days and also that our apartment might not be a big enough place for one. We'd like to get a Shiba Inu if possible.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those of you guys who don't have anyone at home to watch over the dogs during the working hours, what do you guys do? The wife and I would really like to get a dog but we feel it wouldn't be fair to the dog considering we'd both be away at work for full days and also that our apartment might not be a big enough place for one. We'd like to get a Shiba Inu if possible.
    I have 2.5 yr old German Shepherd that I adopted a few months ago. We do a walk before work, a few minutes for some trick work or pets and then I leave. When I get home, we do another long walk at his pace and then we have class twice a week, playtime outside or stop by the parents for offleash. I also have a walker that comes 1-2 times per week. Overall, he's alone for about 9-10 hours a day and haven't had an issue yet.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

IMO, I would not get a Shiba Inu (or any high energy dog) if I lived in an apartment unless you have the intention to walk them 2-3 times a day. They're pretty active dogs and every time I am back in Calgary, my wife and I walk our 2 Shibas 3 times a day. Good walks.
    In our condo, there are so many owners who just walk them to go pee/poo quickly nearby and I feel fucking horrible for the dog.

Our Shibas play outside for hours unleashed every day with each other when we are home outside of Calgary in our big yard as they are super energetic.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 01-08-2019 at 03:09 PM.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Shiba Inu needs alot of exercise and attention/training. Unless you are prepared to walk the dog for at least 30-45mins every morning, and then after work, I wouldn't recommend getting one either.

During the weekdays we would drop the dog off at the in-laws 2-3 times a week, and doggy daycare once or twice a week, and then 1 day at home (usually the day after daycare).

We also have a Furbo (dog cam that tosses treats) to keep her a littel bit entertained while we are out.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 01-08-2019 at 03:21 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

My dog is good for around 9-10 hours on her own but we really don't like to push further than that. She gets 2 walks during the day.. the morning is a short walk and more of a get up and out to do business and some sniffs. End of day walk is usually about 30-40 minutes depending on weather and circumstances.

She goes to daycare once a week for the entire day and goes to the park on the weekend for about an hour to hour and a half.

We play a lot with her in the evening to occupy her and if time permits she will get some play time in the morning.

We also have a laptop setup with a camera that allows us to see how she is doing during the day and for the most part she sleeps or watches the world go by.

Truth be told.... the dog is what really will dictate how you manage it and its time at home and what you do with it.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Shiba Inu needs alot of exercise and attention/training. Unless you are prepared to walk the dog for at least 30-45mins every morning, and then after work, I wouldn't recommend getting one either.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

We were lucky. My girlfriend and I ended up getting ours when she was on EI. It sucks not having a job, but it worked out that she was able to stay with the dog everyday to train and be with him. We crate trained him in preparation for when she finds work.

When she DID find work, she'd get up at 5am to walk him and get his energy level stable before leaving him in his crate for the day so he doesn't get too anxious or riled up. After a few months of that, the morning walk stopped and just we'd leave him in he crate in the morning until we get home from work. Then we'd walk him in the PM. This requires a ton of patience and takes awhile depending on a few variables like environment, owners, the dog, other pets etc.

My advice is, if you're planning to get a puppy (like 8-12 weeks old), I'd take a few weeks off to train and get him acclimated to his new environment before leaving him in his crate for the day. Eventually you could give him access to the whole house when he's mature.
    Last edited by JordanEG6; 01-08-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

The one girl I used to work with would never get a shibu again after hers. The dog absolutely refused to be crated, she said the training for the first 6-8 months was painful. I'll admit from other owners it sounds like she got a tough pup to deal with. Even at 3 years he has calmed down a tiny bit, but will only sleep with them in the bed/nothing else. Loses his mind when the dad is away for work. Major major pack mentality.

But yah her and the bf used to walk it for an hour before work, hour after work, then usually a 830-930 range walk. During the day you could see the dog running all over the house half the time burning energy, it was insane how much attention the dog needed and energy it has. Would want to make sure I had a lot of time to dedicate to a Shiba if I got one.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I feel that you'd get tired of your dog quickly, then want to trade it in for a newer dog.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I got my first Shiba girl as a pup and I was lucky to be able to bring her with me to work. She's super socialized. Once she's grown up, she's practically a cat in the house. I got my boy when he's 3. He's 11 now and he's an ass to strangers but he's also like a cat in the house lol. They are not as energetic as huskies and they can be quite independent. They are definitely stubborn to the bone. You don't want them to develop any bad behaviour into habit. Great dogs and I love them. Apartment is not the best especially if the doggie doesn't get to go outside often. It can work but how much are you willing to do to make the doggie happy?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    The one girl I used to work with would never get a shibu again after hers. The dog absolutely refused to be crated, she said the training for the first 6-8 months was painful. I'll admit from other owners it sounds like she got a tough pup to deal with. Even at 3 years he has calmed down a tiny bit, but will only sleep with them in the bed/nothing else. Loses his mind when the dad is away for work. Major major pack mentality.

But yah her and the bf used to walk it for an hour before work, hour after work, then usually a 830-930 range walk. During the day you could see the dog running all over the house half the time burning energy, it was insane how much attention the dog needed and energy it has. Would want to make sure I had a lot of time to dedicate to a Shiba if I got one.
    I'm a huge dog person but two dogs I would not own are Shibas and any of the heeler breeds. Just too much work and energy for a working/city person.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel like if you already have the idea that you don’t have time for a dog, then you definitely don’t have time for the dog.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

start with fostering some dogs if you have no dog experience. its like having children. you lose a ton of freedom that you really didnt know you had till its gone.

there are 3 stages to dogs:

-0-1yr: puppy

expect to be home at lunch to let it out from 0-4 or 5 months. also buy paper towels in bulk... you will have messes.... LOTS to clean

training and attention is very important in these early stages.

1-3yrs: adolescent

dog will still have shithead episodes. still very important to have a strict regiment for training, will still get into shit. probably still want it to be crate trained.

3+: dog

if you survived the first 3 years.... this is when it pays off. they sleep like 20hrs a day, can walk off leash and not worry about darting into traffic or trying to kill another dog or human. just great... but if you fucked up the first 3 years... good luck to you!

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post

1-3yrs: adolescent

dog will still have shithead episodes. still very important to have a strict regiment for training, will still get into shit. probably still want it to be crate trained.
    Truth.
    Experiencing this now. It's quite the ordeal

Love my dog, but REALLY tests my patience.

He's great in the house, but a shithead outside of the house. For that breed, it seems pretty typical and can't be trust off leash, but that comes with time and training I guess.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I think there are two trains of thought to consider:

1) Do you want a dog? What sort of care can you provide to the dog? Can a dog work with your lifestyle?

And then;

2) What type or breed dog works with the above?

It doesn't work to decide both concurrently.

Based on what you've described, you may be able to justify getting a dog and caring for it, but your lifestyle will dictate that only certain breeds will work and a Shiba Inu, or any other high-energy dog, isn't one that would work.

My Ride
    TDi

Don't get a dog unless you are truly invested.

Got a dog from the puppy stage and he's a 9lb bichon shitzu. Fantastic with pottying when we are home, but when we leave he anxiety pees and poos a lot. We have him in our master washroom as we don't quite trust him to roam the house as he is only 1 year old. Bounty is your friend..
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post

if you survived the first 3 years.... this is when it pays off. they sleep like 20hrs a day, can walk off leash and not worry about darting into traffic or trying to kill another dog or human. just great... but if you fucked up the first 3 years... good luck to you!
    No chance in hell with mine. Part malamute/shepard she wants to run after every damn rabbit she sees and she can run damn fast lol.

Our dog is a permanent leashed dog.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    No chance in hell with mine. Part malamute/shepard she wants to run after every damn rabbit she sees and she can run damn fast lol.

Our dog is a permanent leashed dog.
    i have one of each... good dog is sooooooooo stress free, she is always the #1 good dog at cold garden, gets to roam at the off leash, etc, etc.... other dog... nope, never. but he use to be better about it. at the lake he is off leash, sticks around the property... but if any of the neighbouring dogs come over to say hi he just pins them by the neck to the ground which he never use to do, he use to be friends with the dogs around our place. at 110lbs+ thats not a good thing in the city with the pocket dogs everywhere. i found a skunk ripped into two in the backyard once. he is such a dick but i also didnt get any control of the first 7 months and he was also snipped at 6 weeks

Such a happy boy...

Name:  8B0E3793-B786-48FA-8A1A-7B16BC646534.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  44.4 KB
    Last edited by ercchry; 01-08-2019 at 05:01 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I would also note that an apartment is really less than ideal for the dog, you don’t even have to option to let them run around the yard for a few hours on a nice day to burn off steam or quickly use the washroom.

I have some friends who have a dog in an apartment and both work long hours and it breaks my heart every time I am over there and see how wound up the dog is from being cooped up and starved for attention.

Not trying to pass judgement on anyone, I just feel like you need to be putting the animal first when you make the decision to get one, I would love a dog but I know I am not in the right place in life to be able to give it the amount of time it deserves.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

+1 for avoiding a shiba inu. I know someone who didn't do a great job of training theirs and it's a horrible dog. They take much more work to train than most other dogs (which are a lot of work to begin with).

If you think it may be unfair to the dog to leave it, you're probably right. Combine that with the fact you aren't in a house where you can let it roam the yard for the whole evening (if it wants to)... I'd wait until your lifestyle and housing is a little more accommodating for dog ownership.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast