Quantcast
Disabling iPhone passcode with only a fingerprint? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Disabling iPhone passcode with only a fingerprint?

My Ride
    Trucks

Default Disabling iPhone passcode with only a fingerprint?

A little bit of a morbid discussion, but my wife’s father passed away today and the family needs to retrieve important info from his iPhone 8. I don’t think any security changes can be made after signing in with his fingerprint, how about backing up on itunes without the passcode? They only have one try at this and honestly that’s still too much, so any advice is appreciated.

Yikes, sorry for your loss.

When my dad passed away in July, i thought it was key to get access to his phone/computer as there would be no other way. Turns out, that a death certificate and a will goes a long way and i didn't need either of those things.

Im not sure what would considered "important" enough to go that route but i would not sweat it. Sure its easy access, but the rest can come with a little more effort. My advice would be to focus on grieving and not sweat it for now.

To directly answer your question, i think you are pretty much hooped for changing anything of value after unlocking it but i can let someone more experienced answer this.

Sorry for your loss.

I just tested with my 6s v12.1.12 and when unlocked I was able to add another fingerprint with no passcode and it unlocks the phone fine. So if you are able to unlock it with his finger, add a few of yours right away. Like you stated, you can't make any security changes without the passcode but you should have full access to the phone and data otherwise.

As for the passcode. I've tried removing this a few times and nothing worked. Don't waste your time with youtube videos claiming they can remove it. Wiping it will remove the passcode but all data is lost and you will still need the itunes account to unlock it to setup as a new phone. A backup will always ask for the passcode if there was one. I've tried third party tools (free ones not paid cause I'm cheap) and none worked. Maybe there's something new out now but I doubt it.

Nobody knows it? wife, kids, post it note under the keyboard?

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Take the phone and a death certificate to Apple. They can override the security of the device.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Is that actually true? Because it really contradicts pretty well everything they have ever said about the security of their devices and their refusal to put backdoors in their phones.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Sorry for your loss

This is a good reminder for people to get their family to write down ALL their accounts / usernames / passwords / passcodes and put them in a safety deposit box at a bank, or something similar that other family members have access to. It's especially important for things like investments you may not know they have. When people pass away, most surviving family members don't even consider these kinds of things, especially if it is sudden, and it can cause huge headaches.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post
    Sorry for your loss.

I just tested with my 6s v12.1.12 and when unlocked I was able to add another fingerprint with no passcode and it unlocks the phone fine. So if you are able to unlock it with his finger, add a few of yours right away. Like you stated, you can't make any security changes without the passcode but you should have full access to the phone and data otherwise.

As for the passcode. I've tried removing this a few times and nothing worked. Don't waste your time with youtube videos claiming they can remove it. Wiping it will remove the passcode but all data is lost and you will still need the itunes account to unlock it to setup as a new phone. A backup will always ask for the passcode if there was one. I've tried third party tools (free ones not paid cause I'm cheap) and none worked. Maybe there's something new out now but I doubt it.

Nobody knows it? wife, kids, post it note under the keyboard?
    The two iPhones we have, when unlocked via fingerprint, always immediately ask for the passcode when going to the Touch ID and Passcode settings. (to add another fingerprint). Although I agree that his phone and computer info shouldn’t be that important, we cannot find any sign of a Will at this point.

Thanks for the input, guys. We appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    ... we cannot find any sign of a Will at this point...
    I was fortunate to have a will when my dad passed. If you can't find anything digitally, the next of kin can start calling banks looking for safety deposit boxes. They will release that information with a death cert. I also found a copy of my dads will in an old filing cabinet.

Even if its hand scribbled, there such a thing as a holographic will and as long as its dated and signed, it can be upheld by the courts. It doesn't NEED to be an official one.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

His fingerprint wont work if the phone has been rebooted or if it's been ~24 hours since the last unlock. The lightning port also deactivates so external intrusion tools won't work unless it's unlocked. As others have mentioned, you won't be able to add your fingerprint or change password without his lock code. These are some of the newer security measures introduced by Apple to stop people from getting into other people's phones.

Now, what else can you do. Assuming he has iCloud backup and you know his Apple ID/password, you can simply let it charge, ensure it's connected to wifi (ie at home) and let it sit for a day to ensure the backup has kicked in. Then use his phone (or another phone) to restore the backup and you'll have access to everything on the phone, with your own lockcode, fingerprints, faceID etc set during the restore process. Those don't go to the backup as it's all stored locally in the secure enclave.

If you don't have access to his Apple ID but have access to his email, you can use that to reset his Apple ID credentials assuming you know his security questions.

Good luck, sorry for your loss.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    His fingerprint wont work if the phone has been rebooted or if it's been ~24 hours since the last unlock. The lightning port also deactivates so external intrusion tools won't work unless it's unlocked. As others have mentioned, you won't be able to add your fingerprint or change password without his lock code. These are some of the newer security measures introduced by Apple to stop people from getting into other people's phones.

Now, what else can you do. Assuming he has iCloud backup and you know his Apple ID/password, you can simply let it charge, ensure it's connected to wifi (ie at home) and let it sit for a day to ensure the backup has kicked in. Then use his phone (or another phone) to restore the backup and you'll have access to everything on the phone, with your own lockcode, fingerprints, faceID etc set during the restore process. Those don't go to the backup as it's all stored locally in the secure enclave.

If you don't have access to his Apple ID but have access to his email, you can use that to reset his Apple ID credentials assuming you know his security questions.

Good luck, sorry for your loss.
    Won’t 2FA fuck with this? I think it’s mandatory now?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It’s only mandatory for new accounts created on a device (since iOS 11 iirc). Also when all your devices are wiped, MFA falls back to phone number. He has the SIM so good to go.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    A little bit of a morbid discussion, but my wife’s father passed away today and the family needs to retrieve important info from his iPhone 8. I don’t think any security changes can be made after signing in with his fingerprint, how about backing up on itunes without the passcode? They only have one try at this and honestly that’s still too much, so any advice is appreciated.
    This problem can be solved if you are willing to try some third-party hacking tools.
    But i'm also not sure if your father-in-law's phone was backed up before,some password cracking tools may attack data on the iPhone,just like this tool.
    Last edited by Baomer; 02-01-2019 at 12:17 AM.