Quantcast
Impaired Driving Laws too Far Reaching? - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Impaired Driving Laws too Far Reaching?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:36 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I commend Phil for entertaining overly ridiculous posts, I hope mine aren't on that level for him haha
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I commend Phil for entertaining overly ridiculous posts, I hope mine aren't on that level for him haha
    No, you’re good. You’re a smart guy and genuinely give a damn so I appreciate it, and you also don’t say dumb stuff, haha. These posts seem borne of ignorance, it is what it is. Always happy to try and straighten things out if I can!
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Don't ignore me! Haha

I was just being dramatic for the sake of it with my post

I don't drink even 1 beer and drive, so I don't really care about this too much.

Mostly I just don't want to have things degrade to the point where I have a breathalyser shoved in my face on a regular basis for apparently no reason. I sort of feel like that is where this is headed down the road.

When push comes to shove I'd rather lean towards the path that best supports constitutional rights.
    To be fair, I have lived in Calgary going on ten years now and have been through maybe three checkstops. It isn't like Vancouver where chances are high that you will go through a checkstop every second weekend.

I once was asked to provide a breath sample many years ago in BC, I was tired after final exams and got pulled aside at a checkstop, stone cold sober but just drained. I didn't find it particularly hard to blow, but I can understand some with reduced lung capacity may be concerned about being able to.

One thing I am unclear about with the new powers is when the police would actually ask you to provide a sample. I don't interpret as meaning they will just start randomly pulling people over and demand you blow. Likely you are pulled over for speeding, or a broken tail light, and at that time now they ask you to provide a sample. Or in the case of a checkstop, you provide a sample and be on your way like I was.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsingh View Post
    To be fair, I have lived in Calgary going on ten years now and have been through maybe three checkstops. It isn't like Vancouver where chances are high that you will go through a checkstop every second weekend.
    Yeah, we have very few checks tops here. I'm averaging one every five years or so, and I drive weekend evenings year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea I have never actually hit a checkstop, and I feel like I drive around a lot at peak checkstop hours fairly often (9pm-2am on weekends).
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

It's been years since I've been through one or even seen one. Fuck maybe even a decade now.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yeah, we have very few checks tops here. I'm averaging one every five years or so, and I drive weekend evenings year round.
    PT Uber driver??

I've only been through one checkstop in Calgary, and it was over ten years ago. Also went through one in BC when I was in Uni. These things should be more common, IMO. Take some of the chumps out there hiding behind signs enforcing speed limits and reassign them to catch drunks.

I've been through 2 in Calgary.

One after hockey at about 11 pm.. No beers after hockey but quite a few before. Still blew a 0.00 so that was nice. Got read the riot act by the cop about drinking in driving for some stupid reason

Another on 10th st at the top of the hill heading towards downtown south of 16th ave. Waved through.

Also have walked through one downtown at 4th st and stephen ave.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I returned to my parked car one night to find a check-stop set up around it. I was parked on 9th ave beside bankers hall where there are I think 5 parking spots. They set one up right over the hill, smart spot for sure, felt like I was pulled over without even being in the car haha. Asked the officer if I'm good to go, of course he asked if I'd been drinking, and then he sent me on my way.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Have seen 3. 1) southbound MacLeod on the bridge by the golden gate garden centre. 2) on westbound Anderson by tsuu Tina 3) eastbound Anderson on that long straight away after you pass the library.

- - - Updated - - -

Has Spikers naively posted yet about how we should just trust the police and never question them about anything ever?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You sure are an expert for someone who lives in Banff/St Tropez and has only been on beyond for three months so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    The majority of my drunks I catch were speeders who got my attention. The “chumps” catching speeders ARE doing exactly what you wish
    That's great. I'd be interested to know the ratio of speeding tickets you gave to sober people vs how many wound up in you catching someone impaired. 10:1? 50:1? 200:1?

My point was that I think (happy to be proven wrong though) checkstops get more impaired drivers off the road then speed limit enforcement. It kind of seems like you're trying to make the argument that cops doing radar are as efficient at getting impaired drivers off the road as checkstops are... if so, I'd love to see proof of that.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    That's great. I'd be interested to know the ratio of speeding tickets you gave to sober people vs how many wound up in you catching someone impaired. 10:1? 50:1? 200:1?

My point was that I think (happy to be proven wrong though) checkstops get more impaired drivers off the road then speed limit enforcement. It kind of seems like you're trying to make the argument that cops doing radar are as efficient at getting impaired drivers off the road as checkstops are... if so, I'd love to see proof of that.
    If it was a waste of time, the police forces would allocate their budgets away from this but they don't.
    The pill no one wants to swallow is that traffic enforcement results in so, so many other significant arrests & charges that get who everyone loves to call "the real criminals" in front of judges and behind bars. No one wants to hear that though because they get pissy about paying their speed tax from the same officers.
    Criminals are dumb so a basic traffic stop for an expired reg sticker often leads to a pile of other discoveries. Visible drugs --> search --> arrest. Discovering the dude has an outstanding arrest warrant, illegal immigrants, weapons, etc etc. Plus, that opens up new investigations into that dirtbag's social circle and potential criminal bum buddies.
    Their getting caught failing to use a turn signal leads to prison for what they should've already been in for. That benefits everyone.
    I'm doing my best to teach my kid that when we see police with someone pulled over (hopefully it's not me, because that would be additionally embarrassing) that they are really just "trying to help that person remember the rules" so children don't grow up scared of police or with an us vs them attitude. Save that for Grand Theft Auto video games.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    If it was a waste of time, the police forces would allocate their budgets away from this but they don't.
    The pill no one wants to swallow is that traffic enforcement results in so, so many other significant arrests & charges that get who everyone loves to call "the real criminals" in front of judges and behind bars. No one wants to hear that though because they get pissy about paying their speed tax from the same officers.
    Criminals are dumb so a basic traffic stop for an expired reg sticker often leads to a pile of other discoveries. Visible drugs --> search --> arrest. Discovering the dude has an outstanding arrest warrant, illegal immigrants, weapons, etc etc. Plus, that opens up new investigations into that dirtbag's social circle and potential criminal bum buddies.
    Their getting caught failing to use a turn signal leads to prison for what they should've already been in for. That benefits everyone.
    I'm doing my best to teach my kid that when we see police with someone pulled over (hopefully it's not me, because that would be additionally embarrassing) that they are really just "trying to help that person remember the rules" so children don't grow up scared of police or with an us vs them attitude. Save that for Grand Theft Auto video games.
    You don't have to re-explain the logic to me, I get it.

I was just saying that I'd bet the percentage of traffic stops that actually result in impaired charges (lets stay on topic here, because I'm comparing with check stops) is probably super low.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    I worked a checkstop (one of the big ones that makes the average person all warm and fuzzy about checkstops during Christmas time) and checked over 1300 vehicles and all that came out of it was 1 impaired arrest and 2 roadside sanctions. One of my partners went out on the early evening Dec 28 and worked a playground zone doing speed enforcement (the chump behind the sign as you call it) and out of 7 traffic stops he got 2 impaired arrests and 2 roadside sanctions.
    Interesting. Assuming your numbers are representative, why on earth do the police bother with checkstops then?

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Interesting. Assuming your numbers are representative, why on earth do the police bother with checkstops then?
    What’s the first thing you think of after you’ve had a beer or two and jump in your car?

It’s hard to actually measure their effectiveness directly by how many people get caught.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast