Quantcast
Impaired Driving Laws too Far Reaching? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 27 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Impaired Driving Laws too Far Reaching?

Default Impaired Driving Laws too Far Reaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just came out recently by openroad group in Vancouver area. Looks actually pretty decent for 2500/month including insurance, maintenance, deliveries etc. I guess they are pretty popular in major US cities, not sure if there's one in Canada. Selections are not bad, including Lexus LS/ Audi S6 etc

https://www.portfoliobyopenroad.com/...IaAvQNEALw_wcB
    The dirty underbelly to these businesses are the chronic alcoholic guys with more impaired charges than brains and enough money to afford it. Because they are no longer insurable at any kind of sustainable rate, it is cheaper to pay for a service like this than it is to own their own cars. I used to have a couple customers who would use car rental services because it was cheaper than owning a car at that point. Made me a bit sick to my stomach actually that they could circumvent their due punishment which is supposed to provide an incentive not to drink and drive. Now they can just pay a flat fee and carry on being a terror on the road.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    The dirty underbelly to these businesses are the chronic alcoholic guys with more impaired charges than brains and enough money to afford it. Because they are no longer insurable at any kind of sustainable rate, it is cheaper to pay for a service like this than it is to own their own cars. I used to have a couple customers who would use car rental services because it was cheaper than owning a car at that point. Made me a bit sick to my stomach actually that they could circumvent their due punishment which is supposed to provide an incentive not to drink and drive. Now they can just pay a flat fee and carry on being a terror on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Portfolio by Openroad

Who is eligible?

Anyone 21 or over with a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license and a clean driving record.
    I would think DUIs on someone's record would preclude them from becoming a member.

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    I would think DUIs on someone's record would preclude them from becoming a member.
    You would think that, but all the companies I have known to date don't care. They have a blanket insurance "rental" policy rather than an individual vehicle/driver policy so it doesn't matter. No different than the insurance policy you get when you rent a car. They do not check your drivers license to confirm you driving record. You just pay for it and get it. Maybe this company is doing something different, but in the past I have seen it and had discussions with the companies asking about this and I have never been told otherwise that it is different than I have attempted to describe. It has been a few years now though so I can't say with a 100% degree of certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    You would think that, but all the companies I have known to date don't care. They have a blanket insurance "rental" policy rather than an individual vehicle/driver policy so it doesn't matter. No different than the insurance policy you get when you rent a car. They do not check your drivers license to confirm you driving record. You just pay for it and get it. Maybe this company is doing something different, but in the past I have seen it and had discussions with the companies asking about this and I have never been told otherwise that it is different than I have attempted to describe. It has been a few years now though so I can't say with a 100% degree of certainty.
    Doesn't really matter to the insurance company anyway, because insurance won't cover you if you crash it while drunk. You'll just get sued by the insurance company for the cost of the vehicle. It's actually kind of a farce and shows how crooked insurance companies are when they jack the rates for someone with a DUI.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea cause in the scenario of someone getting drunk and crashing a car, it’s the insurance company who is the asshole
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yea cause in the scenario of someone getting drunk and crashing a car, it’s the insurance company who is the asshole
    So a company would charge you a 1000% premium for a service, that they literally will not provide for you. Nope, nothing assholish about that.

I guess if you don't know any of the statistics or numbers on DUI, it's easy to just paint everyone with the same brush. I don't have any sympathy for anyone getting a legitimate DUI because they are impaired. But I'd say it's a stretch to call anyone that gets caught for DUI an asshole, when for all anyone knows they were just some poor bastard with the unlucky happenstance of driving through a checkstop after having 3 beers at dinner and being honest about it. There is a good reason why they don't charge anyone with "Impaired" driving in Canada, because you don't actually have to be impaired to have your life ruined.

My Ride
    ute

You know who suffers from injustice in this world? People.who have had a DUI. As a society we rally ought to bring public attention to this issue.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Fuk tha PO-lice
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You know who suffers from injustice in this world? People.who have had a DUI. As a society we rally ought to bring public attention to this issue.
    The irony of your sarcasm is astounding.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    You are talking out of your ass. Maybe if it’s 3 schooners and you go. Anyone who told you they blew a fail into a roadside screening device off of “a couple drinks” or even a few is either someone who weighs 60 pounds or they lied to you. Do you realize how much you have to drink to blow over .08??? I have to drink until I am puking sick to be at that level. Those people deserve it 100% of the time
    Speaking of someone talking out their ass, I see we have a case of pot meet kettle here. lol

Do YOU realize how little you have to drink to blow .08? I most certainly do because I have actually tested it with a breathalyzer instrument calibrated to the same standards the police use. That's how I ended up changing my opinion on the whole matter. I might very well be some kind of anomaly by not being physically impaired enough that I shouldn't be driving at 0.14BAC. And you could also be some kind of anomaly by puking your guts out after a few drinks at 0.08BAC. Which highlights the exact problem with the system that I already mentioned. BAC is not a measure of impairment, as it has varying effects from person to person.

I assumed members here for the most part had a grip on basic facts and some knowledge in this area, so I didn't expect it to be a long winded teaching moment. But if you're that unfamiliar with the subject I can elaborate quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Speaking of someone talking out their ass, I see we have a case of pot meet kettle here. lol

Do YOU realize how little you have to drink to blow .08? I most certainly do because I have actually tested it with a breathalyzer instrument calibrated to the same standards the police use. That's how I ended up changing my opinion on the whole matter. I might very well be some kind of anomaly by not being physically impaired enough that I shouldn't be driving at 0.14BAC. And you could also be some kind of anomaly by puking your guts out after a few drinks at 0.08BAC. Which highlights the exact problem with the system that I already mentioned. BAC is not a measure of impairment, as it has varying effects from person to person.

I assumed members here for the most part had a grip on basic facts and some knowledge in this area, so I didn't expect it to be a long winded teaching moment. But if you're that unfamiliar with the subject I can elaborate quite a bit.
    Keep in mind with those BAC testers you have to wait. I have a couple and they always read way high until about 10 minutes or so after consumption. The alcohol on your breath right after consumption gives you a falsely high reading

Unfortunately I have to agree with others sentiments. I’m pretty average at 200lbs and no issues with processing alcohol whatsoever. That being said the most I’ll have before driving is a sleeve or half pint with a meal. That’s about 1 serving. Driving after 3 would absolutely make you an asshole IMO (for an average sized male of average genetic disposition to alcohol), and with how easy/convenient and cheap cabs/Uber’s are I would question someone’s IQ who decides to drive after 3. No sympathy here at all, DUIs are the single easiest vehicle related charge to avoid
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-05-2019 at 07:41 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Wait isn’t the limit 0.05 now anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Wait isn’t the limit 0.05 now anyway?
    Pretty sure it’s just a fine/impound and licence suspension for 3 days between 0.05 and 0.08. No DUI though I don’t think?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:26 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    My friend had one of these breathalyser devices, we were playing with it over the xmas break.

After 2 beers in 1 hour I blew a 0.056 on it, and my wife blew a 0.076. My friend blew a 0.051 on it. Basically all of us would be in trouble at a roadside stop.

The beers were a bit stronger than average though; We drank one bottle of Mocha Porter (6 percent) and one Winter Ale (5.5 percent). We had the taster pack, 4 flavours in a 12 pack, kind of perfect for 3 people haha.
    This is getting wildly sidetracked, and I like that. So I'll mention that there's a certain amount of time that has to elapse after your most recent drink before the police can test you with a breathalyzer. Too soon and it's reading residual alcohol in your mouth and not your true BAC
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

We did 3 breathalyzer challenges over the years. I completely agree with the .05 and .08 penalties based on these experiences.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/319...he-right-limit

http://www.beyond.ca/bill-26-passes-...e-2/11275.html

http://www.beyond.ca/debunking-the-w...e-3/15771.html
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Those are great reading, thanks for reposting them again Rage. I'd love to be part of the next test!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Keep in mind with those BAC testers you have to wait. I have a couple and they always read way high until about 10 minutes or so after consumption. The alcohol on your breath right after consumption gives you a falsely high reading

Unfortunately I have to agree with others sentiments. I’m pretty average at 200lbs and no issues with processing alcohol whatsoever. That being said the most I’ll have before driving is a sleeve or half pint with a meal. That’s about 1 serving. Driving after 3 would absolutely make you an asshole IMO (for an average sized male of average genetic disposition to alcohol), and with how easy/convenient and cheap cabs/Uber’s are I would question someone’s IQ who decides to drive after 3. No sympathy here at all, DUIs are the single easiest vehicle related charge to avoid
    Yes for accurate readings, you are supposed to wait 30 minutes after having a drink to test.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Pretty sure it’s just a fine/impound and licence suspension for 3 days between 0.05 and 0.08. No DUI though I don’t think?

.05 is just a 24 hour suspension. Still a big pain in the ass if you're not impaired. I had a buddy get one of these years ago. He honestly just didn't know he would blow that high, he assumed that the limits would be set at a reasonable place and if he wasn't impaired he should be fine to drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    Really?

The last time I drank while testing myself I had a pint of beer and 4 bottles of beer over the course of 3 hours and blew 0.032 with a police roadside tester. There’s no way I would’ve driven even at that level though I was 100% legal to do so. Another time I drank 8 shots of Vodka within an hour and blew 0.10 on the police breathalyzer (the one that would be at any police station). Another time I drank 13 solo cups of beer from a Keg along with supper to get to a fail on a roadside tester.

This was using the ACTUAL police instruments, not whatever bullshit you might’ve bought from Costco or Ali Express. If you are blowing extremely high on a drink you are not waiting enough time from your last drink to when you take the test to allow for the dissipation of mouth alcohol. Some of the cheapie testers can even be thrown off by alcohol in the room if you have it at a table surrounded by people drinking.

“good for you” for being enough of a regular drinker for not thinking you are impaired at a 0.14 BAC. You are the exact reason impaired driving laws were created. Congrats on being part of the selfish and reckless group in Canada that lead to over 200 deaths each year. I’m quite familiar on this subject, enough so that I can say I would have no problem making you and any high priced defence lawyer you can drag into a courtroom look like complete pieces of shit in front of any judge.
    I'm actually not a regular drinker. But what the heck, you've made gross wild assumptions about everything else up this point. lol

Yeah, damn all the facts and statistics!! Rat Fink says so.

Your anecdotal evidence again is simply just proving my point that much more. If YOU are impaired at 0.032, it is very good that you recognize that and would make a responsible decision to not drive. Your results are most definitely not typical, however that is the entire point. Not many of us are carrying around a breathalyzer in our pockets when we have a few drinks. Nobody needs to rely on a BAC reading to know whether they can drive or not. You were able to make that distinction about yourself I am guessing simply by your own assessment of your impairment level.

But how come the majority of people that don't have alcohol metabolizing issues, and do not experience motor function and reaction impairment until the 0.1-0.2 range, cannot just rely on our level of actual impairment like you can? Instead the majority is subject to some BAC standard that makes zero distinction about level of impairment.

And the really big problem is that by focusing solely on BAC, we neglect to enforce impaired driving at all. It is very well documented that age is actually far more of an impairment than alcohol is. The average driver at 0.08 still has better reflex and motor function than the average senior driver. So if you Helen Lovejoys care so much about impaired driving, why aren't you focusing on the real problems? The statistics are pretty clear on this stuff. The heavy majority of alcohol related collisions are caused by drivers with a BAC of above 0.15, which happens to coincide pretty well with my own anecdotal testing.

It's actually amazing that your ignorance on this matter goes so far after what you related about your personal experiences. You said yourself that you were heavily impaired at 0.032, however you'd legally still be fine to drive. This is the sort of thing you are advocating for by latching on to this idea of BAC testing, you're advocating for impaired drivers to actually be allowed on the road if they happen to meet this completely unrelated BAC criteria.

And yes, it's very reckless of me to take an Uber the once every 6 months that I decide to have a few drinks. I'll tell you what I'm NOT reckless about, is the road safety of tax paying citizens. It makes me sick to know that impaired driving goes virtually unchecked in our society, when I pay good damn money to have a police force monitor the safety of the roads that I also pay good money to use. I'm sick of the jackboot antics of police/government, and the kneejerk policies that get put in place by people that don't have a grasp or understanding of basic statistics and facts.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 11 ... LastLast