Quantcast
LF: Furnace replacement - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LF: Furnace replacement

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default LF: Furnace replacement

Any recommendations for a furnace replacement? My 43 year old furnace is starting to make all sorts of weird noises while running.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My mom used GI Joe and had really. Good things to say. She's a cranky old lady, and Jody took good care of her.
    https://www.gijoeheating.net

My personal recommendation is to get the lowest efficiency and lowest tech furnace you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    My mom used GI Joe and had really. Good things to say. She's a cranky old lady, and Jody took good care of her.

My personal recommendation is to get the lowest efficiency and lowest tech furnace you can.
    Thank's, I have sent a quote request to them.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Are you selling anytime soon? If not, keep the furnace and replace the blower.

My Ride
    V8s

I had a house with a furnace of about the same age. Started making some noise, sourced a new blower for like $80 and put it in in about 30 min. Just food for thought.

Might be interested in your old furnace.

New blower motor like cjbair said and or bearings on a pulley and it'll be like new.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

Just used Jody @ GI Joe a couple months ago. Good shit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

+1 for Advanpro, I've had really good experiences using them.

https://goo.gl/maps/QX473o2bMQE2

interesting thread. Is the general consensus that newer high efficiency furnaces are a lot more problematic than older ones? Just moved into a new place that has 29 year old furnaces and was planning to replace them in the next few years but now re-thinking this.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

https://www.actionfurnace.ca/furnace...-installation/

Disclosure: I handle their marketing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    interesting thread. Is the general consensus that newer high efficiency furnaces are a lot more problematic than older ones? Just moved into a new place that has 29 year old furnaces and was planning to replace them in the next few years but now re-thinking this.
    That's what I've heard. The older the better for reliability as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Yea I’d see if you can find a repair person to fix it not someone that will just try to squeeze your wallet and sell you on a new unit.

Furnaces are stupid simple. If you can change your oil you can pretty much service anything on a basic furnace.

There is really nothing that can go wrong with your furnace that warrants a replacement other than the heat exchanger (and just in my experience due to the price and potential availability of an exchanger for your model) and even some of the leak tests techs do on them are snake oil. Since it’s making a noise it’s not the heat exchanger obviously so it should be a reasonable fix that you could probably do yourself.

May seem daunting but once you tear into yours you’ll be shocked at the simplicity
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-14-2019 at 01:30 PM.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I have an older furnace (maybe 90s?) that's running a high voltage line to my thermostat. Do you guys have any recommendation for a guy they can come run some wires and turn it into a low voltage line so I can use smart thermostat like EcoBee or Nest?

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    I have an older furnace (maybe 90s?) that's running a high voltage line to my thermostat. Do you guys have any recommendation for a guy they can come run some wires and turn it into a low voltage line so I can use smart thermostat like EcoBee or Nest?

I have two of these en route that i ordered by mistake (and company would not cancel the order):
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywel...mer-11013000-p

Just looking for what i paid for it which was $110 CAD each after shipping/USD conversion.

I ordered them because i was told i had a millivolt system but turned out i had a standard 24V system. They should also work for a high voltage system too. It should be quite easy to wire in yourself and i could probably help you if you're not comfortable. Not an HVAC guy but learned a lot about these systems recently doing research. Basically you plug your high voltage lines into this box, then wire the lines going up to your thermostat into it as well. The smart thermostat will trigger the relay to turn on your high voltage system. This box also has a built in transformer that will give you a "c (common) wire". One issue is that you'll need 3 wires going up... if you only have two wires going up you can either fish a new wire up or use something like a 'fast stat common maker' which is basically a multiplexer. Nice thing about fishing a new wire is you can pull a 7-wire bundle up which will give you some extra wires that you can use for humidifier control.

EDIT: another option is to go with Mysa instead of nest/ecobee. Mysa works natively with line voltage systems
    Last edited by sabad66; 01-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.

As long as natural gas prices remain this low, the pay back period on new HE furnaces will be decades out.
    Will fuck off, again.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

yep, keep the dinosaur as long as you can, mine's form the 70's, installed new in the house, only issues i have had is blower motors... new furnaces are very unreliable based on experiences with friends and family... keep the old one til the heat exchanger rots through... you'll never pay back the savings with an HE one because that money will go to repairing it.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

possibly a dumb question, but if it gets to the point where the Heat exchanger starts cracking/rusting/rotting through, would that increase risk of a CO leak?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

possibly a dumb question, but if it gets to the point where the Heat exchanger starts cracking/rusting/rotting through, would that increase risk of a CO leak?
    There needs to be a perfect storm of conditions before you have CO in your home. Crack needs to be exposed to airflow with a combination of a failed inducer blower. It's pretty rare, but it does increase the risk. Problem is most companies that find leaks won't work on the furnace anymore for liability reasons. It's also a wonderful scare tactic/sales tool.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    There needs to be a perfect storm of conditions before you have CO in your home. Crack needs to be exposed to airflow with a combination of a failed inducer blower. It's pretty rare, but it does increase the risk. Problem is most companies that find leaks won't work on the furnace anymore for liability reasons. It's also a wonderful scare tactic/sales tool.
    Ah good to know. That’s one thing I’ve always been paranoid about with my older furnace even with two CO detectors in the house

My Ride
    Trucks

No more than idling a car in your basement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast