Quantcast
Discuss cellphone plans - Page 40 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss cellphone plans

My Ride
    This and that.

Guys is 5G and LTE that much different? I don't understand the fuss. I have the Note Ultra which is 5G capable but I don't really give a shit considering it's quick enough even on LTE. The plan costs almost nothing, so who gives a shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yes it’s that different.

Does it matter in any way you will use or notice today?

No.

It’s the same debate as to whether the average person who watches Netflix and cat videos benefits from gigabit internet at home.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Guys is 5G and LTE that much different? I don't understand the fuss.
    Yes, technically they are very different.

HOWEVER, certain carriers modify their phone firmware such that they falsely advertise what speed they are connecting at. They lied before about LTE coverage when it came out

I'm almost certain that if your are getting "5G" in Millet, AB your phone/provider is lying to you.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by e31 View Post
    Yes, technically they are very different.

HOWEVER, certain carriers modify their phone firmware such that they falsely advertise what speed they are connecting at. They lied before about LTE coverage when it came out

I'm almost certain that if your are getting "5G" in Millet, AB your phone/provider is lying to you.
    The phone is on 5G but the speed is nothing to boast about. No different than LTE. I think they need to do a lot of work to get their 5G networks up to actual 5G speeds.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

5G is a technology not a speed.

Long range 5G and Short Range 5G will perform very very differently. There is no such thing as “5G Speeds”, it’s just a radio communication standard that has the potential for higher speeds and longer ranges.

People really do fall for marketing hook line and sinker.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Asked a friend to run a speed test on his 12P on a Rogers infinite plan with 5G:
    Name:  298FFEB8-D556-41C2-BD16-9E5A9771F2DB.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  18.5 KB

Definitely faster than the approx. 75mbps I get on average with LTE around the same area in the city. But again, not many use cases out there that require the faster speeds today so hard to justify switching off an amazing LTE plan just for Speedtest bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    I STILL don’t have my fucking phone. So irate. Seems like everyone is getting their 12s. The plan is too good to back out though.
    Totally worth the wait. My wife is pretty much getting her 12Pmax 256 for free on this plan, with the new contract she's paying $15 more per month than she was with telus but thats with the new phone financed in and she still gets a 300 bill credit on top
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    5G is a technology not a speed.

Long range 5G and Short Range 5G will perform very very differently. There is no such thing as “5G Speeds”, it’s just a radio communication standard that has the potential for higher speeds and longer ranges.

People really do fall for marketing hook line and sinker.
    What? 5g is in reference to the wavelength of the signal, it has everything to do with range, and no, 5G will not be used for long distance communications.

The shorter wavelength means 5G can carry a lot of data much faster than 4G, but it also means a much shorter range. 4G wavelengths have a range of about 10 miles. 5G wavelengths have a range of about 1,000 feet, not even 2% of 4G's range.
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/5...-switch-2019-4

I can't wait to see what bullshit twisting of words you come up with lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Asked a friend to run a speed test on his 12P on a Rogers infinite plan with 5G:
    Name:  298FFEB8-D556-41C2-BD16-9E5A9771F2DB.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  18.5 KB

Definitely faster than the approx. 75mbps I get on average with LTE around the same area in the city. But again, not many use cases out there that require the faster speeds today so hard to justify switching off an amazing LTE plan just for Speedtest bragging rights.
    LTE pretty same speed haha. Crappy signal strength in the basement here...

Name:  60819CB7-2FB2-4A0C-A799-3A577AA8A317.png
Views: 224
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  7FB653E6-B97F-45A2-8893-35BC1A14A0DE.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  33.4 KB

5G can easily do gigabit. Clearly it’s capped if he’s got full signal strength. Aside from no use cases, where 5G will be useful is when COVID is done and we have mass gatherings again. A 5G radio in the dome will make hockey game usable with so much more bandwidth available to share with 20k+ people, especially if they leverage the short range radios and multiple throughout the dome.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    What? 5g is in reference to the wavelength of the signal, it has everything to do with range, and no, 5G will not be used for long distance communications.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/5...-switch-2019-4

I can't wait to see what bullshit twisting of words you come up with lol
    Pretty much every single thing you wrote is wrong. So I don’t know how to even respond to that aside from just pointing you to some literature that’s a lot more accurate than business insider click bait from 2 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G

The increased speed is achieved partly by using higher-frequency radio waves than previous cellular networks.[2] However, higher-frequency radio waves have a shorter useful physical range, requiring smaller geographic cells. For wide service, 5G networks operate on up to three frequency bands — low, medium, and high.[5][2] A 5G network will be composed of networks of up to three different types of cells, each requiring specific antenna designs, each providing a different tradeoff of download speed vs. distance and service area. 5G cellphones and wireless devices connect to the network through the highest speed antenna within range at their location:

Low-band 5G uses a similar frequency range to 4G cellphones, 600-850 MHz, giving download speeds a little higher than 4G: 30-250 megabits per second (Mbit/s).[5] Low-band cell towers have a range and coverage area similar to 4G towers. Mid-band 5G uses microwaves of 2.5-3.7 GHz, allowing speeds of 100-900 Mbit/s, with each cell tower providing service up to several miles in radius. This level of service is the most widely deployed, and should be available in most metropolitan areas in 2020. Some regions are not implementing low-band, making this the minimum service level. High-band 5G uses frequencies of 25–39 GHz, near the bottom of the millimeter wave band, although higher frequencies may be used in the future. It often achieves download speeds in the gigabit per second (Gbit/s) range, comparable to cable internet. However, millimeter waves (mmWave or mmW) have a more limited range, requiring many small cells.[6] They have trouble passing through some types of materials such as walls and windows. Due to their higher cost, plans are to deploy these cells only in dense urban environments and areas where crowds of people congregate such as sports stadiums and convention centers. The above speeds are those achieved in actual tests in 2020, and speeds are expected to increase during rollout.[5]

The industry consortium setting standards for 5G is the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP).[2] It defines any system using 5G NR (5G New Radio) software as "5G", a definition that came into general use by late 2018. Minimum standards are set by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). Previously, some reserved the term 5G for systems that deliver download speeds of 20 Gbit/s as specified in the ITU's IMT-2020 document.
    Tl:dr higher frequency spectrum use is just a part of 5G wireless network standards. And frankly Canadian networks, and Canadian iPhones specifically have no ability to use that mmWave portion of spectrum currently. Still “5G”.

“Twisted” enough for you?
    Last edited by killramos; 01-25-2021 at 02:55 PM.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    LTE pretty same speed haha. Crappy signal strength in the basement here...

Name:  60819CB7-2FB2-4A0C-A799-3A577AA8A317.png
Views: 224
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  7FB653E6-B97F-45A2-8893-35BC1A14A0DE.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  33.4 KB

5G can easily do gigabit. Clearly it’s capped if he’s got full signal strength. Aside from no use cases, where 5G will be useful is when COVID is done and we have mass gatherings again. A 5G radio in the dome will make hockey game usable with so much more bandwidth available to share with 20k+ people, especially if they leverage the short range radios and multiple throughout the dome.
    Well shit learn something new every day. I've never been able to get anything close to that at my house - 85 when i was on Telus LTE, and now can't get more than 75 on Rogers. I always thought it was LTE that was the bottleneck but clearly it's just the neighbourhood i'm in. If you can get 200 with LTE, even more of a reason not to worry about 5G haha.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Crazy bastards are pulling cell towers down! I think this is the second one they’ve destroyed.

https://www.facebook.com/15460852222...138384410/?d=n
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

“Twisted” enough for you?
    As expected. Nobody says 5G as this bassackwards "multi-cell network".

Its a reference to the frequency band used. Just like 4G. Just like 3G.

Tell me, what differentiates between 4G and 5G when covering a 10 mile range? NOTHING. They are practically the same thing, as stated in your own quote.

Couldn't have expected any better of a response from you. Words have meaning kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Well shit learn something new every day. I've never been able to get anything close to that at my house - 85 when i was on Telus LTE, and now can't get more than 75 on Rogers. I always thought it was LTE that was the bottleneck but clearly it's just the neighbourhood i'm in. If you can get 200 with LTE, even more of a reason not to worry about 5G haha.
    I have never seen 200 with LTE, im usually around 100 down / 30 up

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Tell me, what differentiates between 4G and 5G when covering a 10 mile range? NOTHING. They are practically the same thing, as stated in your own quote.

Couldn't have expected any better of a response from you. Words have meaning kids.
    Sorta, 5G does include some differences that go beyond just being a higher frequency. Ironically implementation of massive MIMO beamforming means that antennas can better direct the signal only to your device (and your device to the power). This actually reduces interference and means less radio waves hitting peoples tin foil hats. The technology they are scared of will literally reduce the radio waves they claim they're scared of. Derp.

Though at long distances, yeah it won't provide any additional coverage. Similar to how your phone drops from lte to 3g in the mountains.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

5th Generation Cellular network technology is not a reference to a specific frequency the phones use. The changes are much more complicated than that, you are focusing on one one segment of the standard which is some of the new high frequency wavelengths included and ignoring the rest of the technological backend that underpins the standards. The whole system works together across a wide spread of bandwidths to achieve the desired effect.

You are entirely out in left field bud.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-25-2021 at 05:24 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

My most recent full speed LTE speed test was 333 down/64.5 up.

Recent 5G full speed test was 137 down/6.86 up.

For laughs, I did a throttled speed test because I’m over my data limit right now. 0.54 down/0.45 up.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Tl:dr higher frequency spectrum use is just a part of 5G wireless network standards. And frankly Canadian networks, and Canadian iPhones specifically have no ability to use that mmWave portion of spectrum currently.
    Totally forgot Apple nuked the mmWave antenna off the Canadian iPhones. Pretty hilarious for early adopters.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Totally forgot Apple nuked the mmWave antenna off the Canadian iPhones. Pretty hilarious for early adopters.
    Yup haha. Only US iPhones have it. Very hilarious, was the line I drew in the sand on the iPhone 12 Pro.

fact.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Guys is 5G and LTE that much different?
    Yes. One gives you 'rona and the other cures 'rona.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast