Quantcast
Discuss cellphone plans - Page 27 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss cellphone plans

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Since @The_Rural_Juror and @killramos both think I should switch to the "main" brand of Telus, I thought I'd solicit other opinions.
    My needs: 5GB data, unlimited long distance to USA, and at least 15 days/year IN the USA with "roam-like-home" data and calls withing USA and back to Canada

Current plan, $60 Public mobile old plan (not available to new customers, with $4/mo discounts = $56), Unlimited calls to and from USA, unlimited texts, 8.5GB in Canada and 2GB in USA every month.

Apparently the Telus EPP plans are good? And I have telus home services so I think there's a discount there.

3G speed apparently really offends some people, but I don't even notice it. Same network, so no difference there.

Whatcha think friends?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Wat until Black Friday deals show up, then decide.

Best time to switch plans is back to school. I switched to rogers epp plan just recently. Got 20gb for $50. Unlimited calling/text. For someone who uses a crap load of data that's about as good as you can get.

When I reached out to telus for their epp plan it wasn't as good due to their starting price of the plan being higher.

I think the epp specials have changed already as it was a limited time window for rogers.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Nah. Wait until 5G becomes widespread so you can zoom 25 years into the present.
    I can't speak for @killramos , but it is a kick in the feels for our recommendations to be cast aside so easily like your old trusty bbq.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 09-07-2020 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The unlimited calling to the US is going to be the tricky part to getting a smokin' deal. That said, all the carriers just released their Back to School plans so you may be able to call retentions where you're at to do a bit of haggling.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Nah. Wait until 5G becomes widespread so you can zoom 25 years into the present.
    I can't speak for @killramos , but it is a kick in the feels for our recommendations to be cast aside so easily like your old trusty bbq.
    It cuts deep
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    ... you may be able to call retentions where you're at to do a bit of haggling.
    Ugh, that is literally the worst thing about the "mainline" companies. I hate having to call and haggle. I'd pay MORE to avoid that. Fuck it, I'm staying with public mobile.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Anyone who is with Bell/Rogers is able to get a win-back offer of $45 25GB plan unlimited call/text, voicemail, call forwarding, and some other standard stuff.

In addition, Rogers is giving you a ZTE tablet with a 2GB plan, both of which are normally $10/month but they are waiving the $20 so you only pay tax on them.

To get the win-back offer you need to port to Freedom (or Shaw) and within 2-3 days they will call you to offer you the plan. Bell will need to confirm you ported to Freedom/Shaw before giving you the offer, but Rogers didn't (so you could technically port to anyone else and then just tell them you left to Freedom/Shaw).

Not sure how long the win-back offer is going to be going on for, but I'd imagine this is their way of clawing back people from the $45 25GB Shaw is doing.

My Ride

Ya but is it 3G? Don't want to catch a cancer with the 2000+ era Soviet technology, young buck.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 09-07-2020 at 10:52 AM.

My Ride

It cuts deep
    Did he rep you for your good advice? I think he neg'd me like a PUA.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Ugh, that is literally the worst thing about the "mainline" companies. I hate having to call and haggle. I'd pay MORE to avoid that. Fuck it, I'm staying with public mobile.
    I haggled this morning with Koodo. My plan was $60 for 10GB from years ago. I called, said Virgin Mobile has $55 for 11 GB so match or I'll switch, and done. For less than 10 minutes of effort, that's worth it to me. Plus they have other plans and referral I could send people (https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans#)
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I haggled this morning with Koodo. My plan was $60 for 10GB from years ago. I called, said Virgin Mobile has $55 for 11 GB so match or I'll switch, and done. For less than 10 minutes of effort, that's worth it to me. Plus they have other plans and referral I could send people (https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans#)
    There's a $50 for 9 GB on Koodo. Koodo sucks. You totally miss out on the experience of having to ask your questions to a forum moderator and waiting days for your response. I have used all of the networks in Canada, except for Virgin, and this is the one niche market that Public Mobile has a firm grip of. Who wants to talk to someone on the phone anyway? Can't catch herpes from a public forum.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Switched my daughter to shaw from freedom this morning, I realize it still using the freedom network however she’s gone from 1 bar or no signal in our house to 3 bars and coverage, unsure but not complaining
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Switched my daughter to shaw from freedom this morning, I realize it still using the freedom network however she’s gone from 1 bar or no signal in our house to 3 bars and coverage, unsure but not complaining
    I was going to say, Shaw bought Freedom, it was their entry into the market. Their plans look good, but I'm not going back to that network. It sucks for camping.

My Ride
    Axis powers

After the experience with my daughter on freedom I would never pay for that service
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride

Freedom sucks for downtown too. Dropped calls while walking from block to block.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Yup, for the two days I was on Freedom waiting for the Rogers win-back team to call, the reception was horrendous.

Decided to give freedom a try after my service agreement ended with Fido and it was the worse service I’ve ever had. Dropped calls, garbled voices and slow browsing. Thankfully the Fido winback team called me after 4 days and offered me a 15gb $50/month plan. Never again with freedom.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Freedom is hit or miss - in my area, I have zero basement (my office) coverage without my 200$ signal booster. The rest of the time in the city, its pretty decent. I also travel to BC quite a bit and it works there as wel.

However with the savings over the years from dumping rogers on their ass, after they dropped my retentions plan out of the blue (60$ -> 120$) the $$ savings would have paid for several dozen boosters by now.

My Ride

Deadpool's Mint Mobile in the US is looking pretty good.

Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast