Quantcast
Discuss cellphone plans - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss cellphone plans

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm on Fido (Rogers) and I can't even remember the last time I had a dropped call. My phone doesn't drop calls 3-4 floors down in a concrete parkade or the elevator of the last 2 buildings I've worked in. It might have more to do with the phone than the provider if you're having significant issues with dropped calls.
    My oldest is on Fido, and I can tell you it's brutal compared to Bell in fringe areas. Parkades, Lake Louise to Canmore, every vacation spot we're at in BC (except Kamloops). Fido is good in Kamloops haha. We have the same phone.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    My oldest is on Fido, and I can tell you it's brutal compared to Bell in fringe areas. Parkades, Lake Louise to Canmore, every vacation spot we're at in BC (except Kamloops). Fido is good in Kamloops haha. We have the same phone.
    I dunno then, I can only speak for the few buildings/parkades I frequent, but it's been perfect for me. The reason I thought it might be the hardware is because I noticed a clear difference in reception going from my Pixel 2XL to the 3XL in identical scenarios.

Back when I had 2 phones, my iPhone 4S was Telus and my personal Phone was a Nexus/Pixel on Fido and I almost always had better reception with Fido still, just looking at the bars anyway. Same deal when I upgraded to the iPhone 8. Could just be the areas of the city I frequent though. I do notice Telus has better service on the TransCanada Highway.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-27-2019 at 04:34 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Rogers used to be king in Western Canada for reception, and I speak from being a travelling salesperson in the old Beyond Computing days where I'm everywhere in this city. It was the launch of 3G and LTE where Rogers didn't really spend as much money as they needed out here (it's great out East). When the Vancouver olympics rolled along and Telus/Bell built their networks from scratch, they did it right, and it simply destroys Rogers with less fringe areas and better overall performance.

That's when I made the switch (both personally and corporate) out of Rogers and onto Bell.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    Are you talking about that $60 for 10 gig's and unlimited talk/text around Christmas 2017? Telus already jacked my rate on that one $10/month. Fucking pissed me off but still pretty cheap.
    It's essentially $70 for 15GB now for anyone that calls in and complains, they also threw in VVM for the iphone in there for me as a promo

My Ride
    This and that.

Okay so this is what Bell is offering;

Bring your own device;

Line 1 - $75 per month for 10gb data, unlimited Canada wide
    Line 2 - $60 per month for 10gb data, unlimited Canada wide

This is what I am leaning towards as right now we have same data and coverage and pay $75 and $85 between me and my wife. Bell wanted to charge a $40 activation fee for each line though and additional $35 for 'in store' activation. They may have been able to waive it but I didn't have the time to wait. If going this route I will call Bell and say waive the fee if they want us on. It's BYOD so no contract which I like.

Any other options that are better for the main networks that will ultimately be better than Fido/Rogers?

Cheers

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Buys a 5 figure car every 4 months, but nickel and dimes a cell plan, lol.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How do you think he affords the cars bro?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Does Telus/Bell have any sweet plans right now?

I am with Fido and while the plan is good $75/month for unlimited everything and 10GB data - I hate the fact that I get dropped calls in parkades, elevators and sometimes just randomly in the middle of the city. I am on month to month so not bound by them - wouldn't mind signing up a family plan either for the wife and myself if there is a good plan/price point out there.
    Have to check earlier in the thread to see when I switched(month or 2 ago?) but Telus was offering that $75 unlimited everything w/ 10GB AND giving $300 credit per line switched for home services. Which was a no brainer for me since I have Telus internet & TV at home.

EDIT: Did this all over the phone and had them send sim cards + port our numbers. I don't think there was activation fees but I can't 100% recall.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Is 5 figures supposed to be a lot for a car?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Is 5 figures supposed to be a lot for a car?
    Shots fired!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, if I decide to go back to Telus, and the carrier-provided device setup, can anyone give me a tip on how to get a decent deal? I have Telus home, and I am a previous Telus mobile subscriber. I have very little leverage this time, so anyone with a tip would be appreciated.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Hey, if I decide to go back to Telus, and the carrier-provided device setup, can anyone give me a tip on how to get a decent deal? I have Telus home, and I am a previous Telus mobile subscriber. I have very little leverage this time, so anyone with a tip would be appreciated.
    See my above post.

I'd just go on the Telus online chat, mention you heard about the offers and credits being given out. Profit????

My Ride
    This and that.

On the phone with Telus right now - have cut the cost of my home internet from $105 a month to $50 a month by throwing a Shaw offer at them (which is technically slightly more $ but for Internet 300 vs Internet 50 (max Telus can offer to me at my location currently)). Now talking to the mobility department to see what kind of deal they will offer me for two new lines so let's see. I will likely get Telus to give me a good deal on mobility side too but the question is Telus better than Rogers and Fido as far as reception is concerned?

FYI; Rep says with Telus they have symmetrical download and upload speeds which is faster than equivalent of Shaw's as for example they do download 50mbps and upload 15mbps. Even with their Internet 300 it's 300 download and 15 upload whereas Telus is 50/50 or 300/300. I always thought uploading only mattered if I was uploading torrents and stuff and I only need to care about download but not sure if he is right or was just talking crap.

EDIT: Well it was an hour and half long call but worth it. Here's what I negotiated; first as mentioned home internet bill went down to $50 from $105 for 6 months (extendable to 12 after calling again). On the phone side - 2 lines, same number, BYOD, 10GB data each line independent or shared, unlimited Canada wide - total for $130/month so basically $65 each. Currently it is $75 for me and $85 for the wife so obviously cheaper for the exact same phone service but on arguably a better network. Absolutely no contract either.Finally, $400 credit towards the home internet line so basically at $50 a month free home internet for 8 months. At some point in the next 3-4 months I will be moving to a different place and that will have fiberoptic 1GB or 750MB connection so however that much will cost will have the credit applied to it.

All in all a pretty good evening call.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 08-27-2019 at 09:21 PM.

I currently have 3 phones with bell on a share plan and and we pay around $240 for 12gb unlimited Canada wide text and calls and another pay as you go phone with Rogers for $20 for just text and calls, that my daughter uses. What does everyone have for share plans with 4 phones? How much are you paying and what does it come with?

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

Just received a text from Telus

Galaxy S10 or Galaxy Note 10+ and for a limited time, get 20gb for $95/mo for 24 months, plus a $20 monthly bill credit

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Including the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Including the phone?
    Those phones are also halfway through their life cycle so they are ripe for deals at the moment. If I am understanding that right and it's actually $75/mo post-credit for the entire 24 month term, that's a pretty great deal.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Costco/Virgin iPhone XR $148 down, 9GB for $70/month -$50 gift card

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/cost...-card-2309724/

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Those phones are also halfway through their life cycle so they are ripe for deals at the moment. If I am understanding that right and it's actually $75/mo post-credit for the entire 24 month term, that's a pretty great deal.
    Note10+ is pretty new

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Note10+ is pretty new
    My bad I thought it was S10 and S10+, didn't see the Note. You're right the Note is not only new but more expensive than the other two, so that's pretty good.

Was with Rogers for under a year and couldn't stand their lack of coverage. I'm on roaming and 3G in the middle of downtown on the 24th floor. Guarantee loss of reception when in the elevators. So, I just switched to Telus EPP and got a S10+ with the 20GB Peace of Mind plan for $89/month for 24 months. Essentially $13/mo for the S10+ and $76/mo for the 20GB plan.

Now, three bars and LTE+ at my desk!

Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast